How fast can you run a mile?

Options

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I can easily do a 7.5 for 4 miles. so if I push it i can probably do a 7 minute mile or better never actually tried to see how fast I could on flat surfice anyways. I started out at about a 12 minute mile for 3 miles and just kept building my endurance to the point I could run consistantly for 60 minutes then started some interval training until I could run that distance for that amount of time lets say a 10 minute mile for 60 minutes then back to interval till I could achieve 8 minute mile ect ect ect. Repeat over and over.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    My personal best so far is 6:21 minutes. I agree that focusing on distance and endurance is best, as speed will most likely come with time.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I was always a sprinter when I was younger. I loved the 100 yard dash. (10.6) When I was in high school I ran the mile in 5:06 without training for it. In fact that was the firs, and last time I ever ran a mile.

Now that it's 40 years later, I started running again 2 years ago. My best time was 5:57. I actually prefer long races and a good easy long run of 10+ miles.

It took me a year to finish C25K, and another year to run a 1/2 marathon.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    I CANT
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I did c25k and have only been running really in the last few months, so my mile right now is 11:30 or so. I assume it will get better as I keep running, but I'm pretty happy with it.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to run pretty fast for my cross country and track teams in high school, but that was quite a few years ago! I just started running again and I can do a 10-minute mile. I've got a little work to do to match my old times, but that's definitely one of my goals. :smile:
  • sandikegz
    sandikegz Posts: 66
    Options
    I just started running again and was able to throw down my best time at 8:06 seconds but it was rough. Also, please be careful kicking up the intensity and speed. I'm nursing a pretty bad ankle right now because I tried too hard too fast. Lesson learned! Also, I have very very different times between outdoor running in my neighborhood and the times I get on the treadmill at the gym.
  • alwaysgreen17
    alwaysgreen17 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do a 10:00 mile if it is just a mile....I could probably push myself to get 9:00 or 9:30. If it is distance, I alternate between jogging and walking so about a 10:45 or 11 minute/mile, according to my last two 5k times. Good luck with your goal, it will take some time so just keep at it.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a year and a half and the fastest mile I can run sustainability is 10 minutes, I have never even dreamed of attempting a 5-6 minute mile. But now you have me curious to see how far I can go running 10 mph or so. This should be interesting!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    It depends on a lot of things for me; the time of day, my route, my mood, and the weather affect me the most. But one day a few weeks back, I was spitting angry (does anger make anyone else work harder?) and the weather was fabulous so I ended up running a 7 minute mile to my disbelief. I run about a 9-11 minute mile on average but with the heat, it's usually towards eleven :ohwell: I've been running since late February, so I'm still working to improve!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I started running last fall and ran 6:47 in my first 1 mile race in January. My goal is to run under 6:00 in my second one mile race next month.

January was on a track, next month will be a street race.

That being said, my focus is on endurance. I hope to run my first marathon in October (less than a year after I started running). Right now I am following a Hal Higdon Marathon plan and would like to finish under 3:50
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    If you can focus on distance; speed follows... Distance and time builds endurance. I've been focusing on 5k since march and just started 10k this week. I figure my 5k will get quicker and seem easier when I'm used to running 10k. As for goals, I just want to get better and ...

the only person to beat is me from yesterday!

So I've decided not to care about anyone's times but my own.

Nice! I like the way you think.
  • paigemulroe
    paigemulroe Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I can run a mile in a little less than five minutes, but then I can't run much more than that mile. I usually run for an hour, so my average pace is more around eight to nine minutes on a good day for my hour runs. I can walk a mile in less than twelve minutes though, and beat my school record doing that. :happy:
  • jesssi1984
    jesssi1984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you can focus on distance; speed follows... Distance and time builds endurance. I've been focusing on 5k since march and just started 10k this week. I figure my 5k will get quicker and seem easier when I'm used to running 10k. As for goals, I just want to get better and ...

the only person to beat is me from yesterday!

So I've decided not to care about anyone's times but my own.

Nice! I like the way you think.

I used to bike the same way - I didn't care what others did, just wanted to go further than the day before. Decided that's the only way to TRUELY compete and never lose! However, I do love the competitive nature of running races, gives me a jolt to keep going when I see others passing me by. Not so much as beating them but "dude, I could so do this BETTER!!!"
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    10 minutes if i give er but i cant do much more than one mile at that pace...
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    about 8:30...I used to do a 12 min mile, weight loss and running has helped. But like others said, it's not always possible just to train to get to that 5-6min time...you have to have the gift. That is also when running the fastest I can go, but my average training pace is 10 min mile...you have a LONG ways to go.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    8 minutes :(
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My fastest mile was 9:30 but that included a downhill run. Normally, I average between 10:00 to 12:00 without stopping. I do think running longer distances and hill training has helped a lot with my runs, as well as more strength training.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner until a few years back. My fastest Mile time is 7:13.

I am pretty sure I could run faster... than you if we were being chased by a bear. :laugh:

Speed isn't the end all and will take time to build. I ran a half marathon on Sunday. I spent the first three miles wading thru traffic, the next 6-7 miles holding my own, and the last three miles passing everyone who petered out. While it wasn't a great run due to the heat... I got it done faster than half of those shooting stars that burnt themselves out.

There is an old adage in sports... You can't teach speed.

You can however build endurance and work on speed. Working on both at the same time is pretty difficult. I normally suggest people learn to run a distance (i.e. 10K). Once they have a milestone try to beat it.

I would suggest you set some realistic goals along the way... i.e. if you are doing a 15 minute mile now... aim for 14 in a couple of months....go for a 12 minute mile in 6 or 8 months. Build slowly is the best way to keep healthy. Building too quickly usually leads to injury.

Hope that helps!
  • xcrunner2627
    Options
    I started out running around a 12 at my slowest. I currently run a 7:20 mile. Hoping to get a. 6:30. I think speed work and enderance training would be benifital to help you acheive your goal