When should I eat breakfast?

Options
Well duh, that sounds like a silly question, obviously I eat breakfast in the morning.

BUT, I have just worked out that I eat breakfast TWO HOURS after I wake up. In this time I am getting myself and my daughter ready for work/daycare, and then driving to work (I eat brekkie at work).

Now, I am guessing that this is a bit too late to get my metabolism working to it's full potential - can anyone confirm/deny this?

And my 2nd question is, would a smoothie made at home and drunk on the go suffice? And what should I put in it?

Thanks!

Replies

• dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    the whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day - it starts the metabolism fire burning!!!!" thing is a total myth. eat whenever you want. i personally work out before breakfast because i feel better when i do it and it fits into my schedule better, but i could eat before and it wouldn't change anything.

as far as smoothies go, i generally make mine with yogurt and frozen fruit. i typically prefer protein shakes, but that's just me. on the go breakfasts are just fine if they fit better into your schedule! good luck :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/frequency has no impact on weight loss. Eat breakfast whenever you want. Or be a rebel and don't eat breakfast. It doesn't matter.

If you like smoothies, have a smoothie. You should have whatever would taste good to you and fit into your calories for the day.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/frequency has no impact on weight loss. Eat breakfast whenever you want. Or be a rebel and don't eat breakfast. It doesn't matter.

If you like smoothies, have a smoothie. You should have whatever would taste good to you and fit into your calories for the day.

MTE
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

MTE

QFT
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • leishamaree
    leishamaree Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Um, what are MTE & QFT?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my "breakfast" between 10:30 and 1:00 depending on when I get hungry/have time. Timing doesn't matter. Eat when you're able. Your metabolism won't shut down if you don't eat within 30 minutes of opening your eyes for the day. You'll be fine.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I break my fast at 11am :) There is no correct time to eat your first meal, it's a preference thing and nothing more.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Um, what are MTE & QFT?

My Thoughts Exactly & Quoted For Truth
  • glheureux56
    Options
    On weight loss, timing doesnt matter. Because of insulin and sugar, I eat at about the same time every day. So, breakfast is about 7:30. But that isnt for weightloss.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I have a protein shake in the morning because it's easiest for me... I like my sleep, so I sleep in later, make a shake real fast and go to work and drink it on my way to work.

On Saturday I do the same because I have an hour and a half yoga class early in the morning. Sundays I eat around 10 because I want to sleep in for one day. It doesn't matter when you eat, just eat.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You should eat meat and nuts for breakfast, Charles Poliquin style. No carbs, unless you are under 10% bodyfat and they cannot be simple carbs or contain barley, rye, oats or wheat. Only paleo (rice/potatoes) or berries. And organic (of course). It has to be organic, because calories are stupid.

Pfft, just kidding.
    Although I should note Poliquin knows his stuff and generally when he talks, it's wise to listen, even if you don't agree with him.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Um, what are MTE & QFT?

My Thoughts Exactly & Quoted For Truth

Glad you cleared up the QFT one... I thought maybe it meant Quality F*ckin Thread... I was way off. lol
  • leishamaree
    leishamaree Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was thinking Quite F***in True haha
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In the morning. That's all. No magic.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you like spinach, make a spinach smoothie. I put in spinach, greek yogurt, 1/2 a banana, mixed fruit and protein powder.
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    For me personally, I can't eat within 3 hours of waking up. I will get sick. I tried being a breakfast person, but I just can't be. I take a shake with me to work, and drink it when I feel hungry. Usually that's around 10:30 (I wake up at 6:45).
  • Levinia2013
    Levinia2013 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    12 HOURS AFTER YOU HAVE EATEN DINNER. THAT IS WHAT I DO.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Some say within 45-60 minutes of waking up. But I think any time before noon is fine.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    I was thinking Quite F***in True haha

^ Meh, it works! lol