Anybody know much about calorie-free shirataki noodle?

Options
mahanaibu
mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
A friend just told me about these "noodles" that are made of white yam and because all the carbs are in the form of fiber (soluble and unsoluble), they have no actual calories--or rather, no calories that our bodies can use as such. They come in refrigerators packets, supposedly at many stores; I found them at Whole Foods. You rinse them well to get rid of the liquid that surrounds them in the packet, heat them in microwave or in a pan and can use them like noodles in stir-fry or even as spaghetti. The look and consistency is something like rice noodles.

Has anyone tried them? Are they indeed calorie-free for all intents and purposes? And what are your best tips for dishes they could be used in? I heard some people might get bloating from them...anyone have that happen?

Pasta is a danger food for me--a comfort food that I can eat far too much of--so I haven't been eating it at all. It would be great if I could have some chow mein-ish dishes or spaghetti with meat sauce without all those carby calories. All suggestions, experiences, warnings welcome!

Replies