GIRLS: Buying clothes (esp. undergarments) WHILE losing?

Options

Replies

• mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You can measure yourself. I did and then also had a gal at Macy's do it as well. It was the same measurements. This should help you figure out your size. :)

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Bra-Size
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I found a sports bra that doesn't make me bulge under the arms - I basically live in it and get a smaller one when I need too. Once I hit goal I plan on getting some pretty underwear.

this :)
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I've never tried this place, but you can order 5 different bras, try them on at home, and then send them all back if they don't fit. https://trueandco.com/

Also, just google how to find your bra size. You just need a tape measure. It's so simple.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    I've been keeping Gap Body and Target in business while I lost. I have a couple of pairs of "nice" underwear (Wacoal, so amazing and worth the money), but I have had to size down 3 sizes in day-to-day wear. I tried so, so hard to just keep them around until I was "done", but then they would start falling down when I was running or working out. The worst was the day I wore a skirt to work and walked up two flights of stairs, realizing halfway through that my panties were very, very close to falling down straight around my ankles. That night I went and bought more. I'm sitting on a whole size range of underwear and bras now, but I consider it the cost of doing business when it comes to weight loss.
  • elizabethmchenry9
    elizabethmchenry9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to wear a 42DD, and now I had to go down to a 40DDD. Ebay has a lot of 6 that were only like $30- they aren't the best quality but it holds you over until you reach your goal. I also went from a size 8 panty to a size 6 so I had to buy a pack of those too. Right now just focus on buying cheap stuff and treat yourself to the good stuff when you reach your goal.
    I still haven't bought any pants, besides exercise pants but I have a feeling I will need to cave on that soon- right now I am wearing shorts under my pants to help hold them up and so my underwear isn't showing when the pants sag lol. I still have 50lbs to lose before I treat myself to a shopping spree so hopefully I can get by with what I have.
    Congrats on your loss so far and keep it up! Think of all of those pretty new outfits you will be wearing :-)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If a bra fitter measures above your boobs or wants to add 5 inches to a measurement, RUN AWAY. And that is exactly what VS does.

This was my exact experience with getting 'fitted' by VS one time. I have a useless bra with a too big cup. Ugh.

That said, I recently got fitted at a running store for a moving comfort bra and I tried several on in different sizes and the one I got is amazing! (and pretty much what I thought my size was :) But that lady was actually 1. from moving comfort and 2. looked at the results critically. I know I tried one on she suggested and we agreed it was too big. Sometimes you actually DO know your size better than the tape measure.

As for cheap bras, I second tjmaxx, etc if you have one. Some of that depends on your size, if you are a big bigger than average it might be hard to find your size. Do you have a belks? They seem to have a decent selection and frequent sales. I would just buy one or two in your current size to get you through which you're losing. I would probably just bite the bullet and buy new panties when you need them as well. Buy them to match!
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    When my bras got too small, I found a sports bra that fit great at a Walmart. Each store had 2 in my size, I went to 4 different store and bought 2 at each store. They were the style with 4 sets of hooks in the back, and adjustable straps with soft cups, for the last 60 pounds I have transitioned one hook at a time, shortening the straps as needed. They are being retired after a years worth of valuable service! When I got to a point where a 40c fit, I found a style that fit and flattered me at Kohls. It comes in different colors and I found that stores put "unpopular" colors on sale at better prices. That is the only reason I would ever wear a pink or purple plaid bra.
    As for panties, I have bought new ones at target when the other ones get baggy. But yesterday, I was behind in the laundry and grabbed a pair from the back of the drawer. They were so big I could have tucked them into my bra!
    For regular clothes I have found beautiful clothes at the Goodwill and consignment shops. And I have a rule as soon as I put something on that is too big, I take it out of my closet and into the Purple Heart bag.
    But what is better than looking good in a smaller size!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    To measure your bra size yourself: http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Back in October I was in size 22-24 and wore a 44D bra. Now I'm a 14 and a 38C. Lots of size changes in there. Here's how I keep from looking like I'm drowning in my old clothes without breaking the bank. I go to a specialty bra shop to get measured, then buy bras at TJ Max or Target, buy cheap not so fancy undies at Target as well. As for clothing I shop at the Goodwill in a nice part of town and frequently find stuff from Ann Taylor, Banana, etc that is hardly worn for $5-6. I've started buying more skirts and dresses because they last longer in between sizes. I also started selling my too big clothing at a consignment shop, and they give you extra money if you use it in the store so I usually will do that.
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Clothes I've found to be super helpful during the loss are yoga pants and dresses/skirts.

The first things I had to replace (that I didn't have in a smaller size already) were panties. Though, I think I may just run some of the larger ones through the sewing machine and bring in the seams. I've noticed my bras gapping at the cup too.

I ended up figuring out my own size at VS. They wanted me in a B cup...I took control of it myself and ended up in a DD. Now, the girls are shrinking a little...so I'm at a D. Luckily I had one bra that survived in that size and am wearing it to shreds. I've also just been using my sports bras for weekends and around the house.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    when I was losing weight but still chubby, what I did was buying stuff that was small for me, but that allowed me to have my problem areas covered. I wore plenty of leggins and stretchy things that first looked tight for me and I allowed myself to wear them until they looked baggy.

As for bras, I bought the same cup letter but a smaller band size (even several, I bought elastic extensions for the clasps) than I needed. I didn't buy a new bra or clothing item until it was too obvious that it was too big for me and I had no other choice than buying new items because there was no way I could alter the clothes myself to make them smaller. But that's because we don't have thrift stores where I live. And I couldn't afford buying new wardrobes every three months, especially at the beginning of my journey when the weightloss was so fast.

If you have thrift stores in your area go check them out!

You don't need to have a bra fitted just try on as many different sizes and models as you can and see what looks best on you. If you have naturally perky ehem... "companions" then you can get away with the cheapest and cutest models (not my case *sigh*).
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you have actually boobs anything from a C and up don't go to Victoria's. She is not equipped for that. She is a sales thing for cutesy items. Now for me I went where they can do good fittings either a Lane Bryant or if you have one in your area a specialty bra store. There is one in my area that does bras for those who have had breast cancer. That was the best fitting.From there I hit up local thrift stores,wash them in the best detergent possible and rock on. A bra full price for me is 40 plus so when I was dropping weight that was a major issue.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I actually have a solution for you. Go online, I suggest Lane Bryant, and look for a bra that has a stretchy front and is underwire.
    they are comfortable and give you all the support you need. I know I am a 40DD and this is a tight fit. With the stretchy front if you get smaller or bigger the bra changes with you. It will also be a great bra while you are losing more weight.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I used to work at VS -- and we no longer had "quotas" to sell but we did try to measure as many people as we can - so do NOT feel obligated to buy something! (and yes, some of us do actually know how to do it correctly, but haters gon hate!)
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options

OT: maybe go to victoria secret during their sale? cant beat 1/2 off bras.

This. They're having the semi annual sale right now!
  • midnightisolde
    midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that I adored about finding what size bra I *really* wear. I've found it to be incredibly helpful, especially while losing weight.

http://feminspire.com/this-method-for-finding-your-bra-size-will-blow-your-freakin-mind/
    This. Really goof information on how bras should fit here.
  • midnightisolde
    Options
    http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html

A site that explains how to measure for bra size.

I finally had to buy some new bras when, every time I bent over to pull weeds or work in the garden, I then had to go into the garage and put the girls back in the bra! :flowerforyou: :laugh: I did go for my first "professional" measuring and fit...but this is the same formula they used.
    Hmm. Although this method doesn't add as much to the under bust measurement to get the band size, it's still adding. For me, it says I should wear a 34 band, but this will be too loose for me in all but the smallest fitting brands.
  • midnightisolde
    Options
    You can measure yourself. I did and then also had a gal at Macy's do it as well. It was the same measurements. This should help you figure out your size. :)

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Bra-Size
    This is probably the best bra fitting and measuring guide. It was the one I was looking for to put in my post actually.
  • learninmama
    learninmama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Shopping today for this very problem...droopy drawers & empty bras...I so miss my boobs :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I still haven't bought new underwear because it's not falling off yet. Ok they look huge and ridiculous but *shrug* lol (they're size 18/20 and I'm 12 now). I'm waiting as long as possible on those, they're full briefs anyway and I carry most of my weight in my belly and hips still. I had to buy bras, but because they were just too loose around me, and now I've definitely lost some cup as well (I'm really happy about that, still 36 DD).

I haven't bought new jeans either, and the couple that don't fall off look utterly ridiculous on me, but I'm not going to wear jeans for 2-3 months so I'd rather wait and buy a 10 (hoping!). I bought 3 pairs of shorts/capris in 14 that were tight when I got them 2 months ago and are starting to be a bit loose now. I'm probably going to get some light long pants if I can find some this week end though, but a size 12 so hopefully they last a while, and I'm hoping that will last me through this Summer.

Shirts I'm not really worried about. I'll buy some when I'm at goal.