When should I eat breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• rszkodzi
    rszkodzi Posts: 6
    Options
    I make a fruit smoothie every morning almost, and toss in a little protein powder to thicken it up and drink it on the go :) Keeps me full for hours! :D

Good advice ! Probably takes only a few minutes too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    congratulations, you have posted the most inaccurate thread in MFP history, you win ....

Wow the hate on this site is terrible.
    Trying to be helpful gets this kind response. What class. Why would anyone want to take advise from a poster that says something like that.

what you posted was completely wrong....sorry for pointing that out. For the record, I did not "hate" on you, I pointed the inaccuracy of your post.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    congratulations, you have posted the most inaccurate thread in MFP history, you win ....

Trying to be helpful gets this kind response. What class. Why would anyone want to take advise from a poster that says something like that.

While admirable that you are trying to help, your information is just way off base. I suggest you do more research before giving such a "matter of fact" answer like that. Meal timing and frequency do not matter. Maybe read up on intermittent fasting... it may be a huge eye opener for you.
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    I eat within 30-60mins after I wake up, for no other reason than that I am starving in the mornings and that's what works for me :)
  • rszkodzi
    Options

what you posted was completely wrong....sorry for pointing that out. For the record, I did not "hate" on you, I pointed the inaccuracy of your post.

Its about as inaccurate as saying "you can skip breakfast entirely" like in one of your other posts.
    While my post had a few mistakes in it, it was pointed out fairly nicely by another poster and I edited the typo's.
    I stand by my statements. I did enough of research, and consulted enough of doctors. As far as the 500-1000 calorie deficits, I suggest you do a bit of research.
    I suggest the original poster who needed the advise do the same and not take anything written here as the sole advice.

The original poster was asking for advise, any given to her on this site is taken with a grain of salt since it doesn't come from her doctor and she should do her own research to verify what is being discussed and suggested.

The insults being thrown around are welcome, since they show the immaturity of the poster and therefore make the quality of all their posts suspect. Readers can just skip right over the authors of such posts.

Have a nice day.
  • rszkodzi
    Options

While admirable that you are trying to help, your information is just way off base. I suggest you do more research before giving such a "matter of fact" answer like that. Meal timing and frequency do not matter. Maybe read up on intermittent fasting... it may be a huge eye opener for you.

Thank you. I will do some more research on intermittent fasting. Sounds interesting.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Its about as inaccurate as saying "you can skip breakfast entirely" like in one of your other posts.
    While my post had a few mistakes in it, it was pointed out fairly nicely by another poster and I edited the typo's.
    I stand by my statements. I did enough of research, and consulted enough of doctors. As far as the 500-1000 calorie deficits, I suggest you do a bit of research.
    I suggest the original poster who needed the advise do the same and not take anything written here as the sole advice.

The original poster was asking for advise, any given to her on this site is taken with a grain of salt since it doesn't come from her doctor and she should do her own research to verify what is being discussed and suggested.

The insults being thrown around are welcome, since they show the immaturity of the poster and therefore make the quality of all their posts suspect. Readers can just skip right over the authors of such posts.

Have a nice day.

Umm yes you can skip breakfast entirely. Ever heard of IF or lean gains? I did Leangains or 8 months, skipped breakfast, and dropped about 1 to 2% body fat, and increased strength. I am an example of why you are wrong. And sorry but 500 calorie deficits do not lead to starvation mode. You have to eat nothing for 72 hours to go into initial starvation mode.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    whenever you want to. theres nothing magical about having any meal at any particular time. you can even eat all your meals within an hour...if that's what you want to do and it stays within your macros. Personally, I like to have breakfast early most of the time...but that's me. YMMV.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every morning on the way to work. You need to blend: Plain Greek yogurt, I use Fage 2%. You can use no fat Greek yogurt, but 2% keeps me fuller longer. Frozen fruit. My favorite is just strawberries, strawberries and blueberries, or blackberry/raspberry mix. I am sure mango or peach would be good. I add one percent milk and Stevia to sweeten it. I make mine thick, like a sorbet. Frozen fruit is best, and convenient because it doesn't go bad!
  • leishamaree
    leishamaree Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that sounds yummy. I thought this post had gotten a bit off course for a while there....
  • choxmay
    choxmay Posts: 12
    Options
    I simply just do have the appetite in the morning! I am in no way an expert but I have recently read and started drinking water(cold, icy water) or coffee early in the morning to trigger the sympathetic nervous system to keep the metabolic rate humming!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I have seen a few posts saying you can skip breakfast and/or it does not matter when you eat it. That would be bad advise.
    While meal timing and eating lots of little meals all day is disputable, one thing is not, glucose levels, and protein amino acid levels.
    If your goal is to loose weight, while at the same time limit loss of muscle you cannot let your body get into a anabolic state where it eats your muscle because it is hungry.
    Instead shoot for an catabolic state where there is plenty of amino acids floating around and your glucose levels do not drop or spike.
    The one time this is hard to avoid is during sleeping. 8 hours of nothing and you wake up low in glucose low in blood sugar, low in amino acids, etc. You need to quickly add something to prevent your metabolism from slowing down and going anabolic.
    Even before you workout.
    If you have no time, no problem. Buy a shaker bottle and Body Fortress 100% whey protein or something similar. Mix 8 oz of water and one scoop of powder. Shake it while in the car for 60 seconds and drink it down.
    Thats 150 calories, a little bit of carbs and fat and loads of amino acids. This should stabilize your glucose and metabolism until you can get some real food in you. But don't wait too long. 150 calories goes very fast. Maybe mix two scoops.

What you always want to keep in mind is to never let your metabolism get into a hibernation state. That sounds extreme, but all it takes is 500 to 1000 calories in the deficit column for the day to make it happen. That is when your metabolism thinks no more food is coming, so it tries to preserve what it has, slows down, and quickly converts eaten foods into body fat.
    How easy is that? Mow the lawn, do some gardening, then at night workout. For me that 1500 burned calories on top of me trying to eat 1500 BMR calories. I have to eat big calorie meals just to stay at a 500 calorie daily deficit.
    That is why some people use the "eat all day" method. While that is not a diet, per se, it does help you prevent hibernation mode and stabilize blood sugar which will stabilize metabolism.
    Simple rule of thumb ... Eat something, every 3-4 hours, starting right when you wake up. Keep it low cal, low fat, high protein.

-Rich
    One more time - No.

Here's a link with plenty of discussion and several peer-reviewed studies which debunk meal frequency/timing and the "rev up your metabolism" myth:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I eat within an hour of getting up, mainly because I am hungry and get a "little" grumpy if I don't eat :laugh: I have a bowl of porridge with fruit and keeps me full until lunchtime.

But I agree with (most) of the posters above, meal frequency does nothing for you metabolism, and if you feel like you can't/don't want to eat then don't! I have a work mate who doesn't eat anything until about 11/12, simply because she isn't hungry till then. I would want to ax murder someone by that time...............
  • irishgo
    irishgo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, good morning,

I recommend never to skip breakfast, the most important meal of the day. However it would be advisable to split 6 or more healthy small portions across the day.
    I start the day with drinking one glass of lukewarm (purified) water, and than half breakfast withing a half an hour, either at home or at work 1st thing.

As I am a vegetarian for my upkeep of running 5 or 6 miles a day (8-10 km) I need to get some protein, I take Whey Protein. (one or two scoops a day).

Interested in your thoughts?
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, good morning,

I recommend never to skip breakfast, the most important meal of the day. However it would be advisable to split 6 or more healthy small portions across the day.
    I start the day with drinking one glass of lukewarm (purified) water, and than half breakfast withing a half an hour, either at home or at work 1st thing.

As I am a vegetarian for my upkeep of running 5 or 6 miles a day (8-10 km) I need to get some protein, I take Whey Protein. (one or two scoops a day).

When and how you break your daily fast is nothing more than a preference. Some people like eating shortly after they get up, and other don't. Neither way is better than the other. Also, meal frequency is the same-it's a preference thing and nothing more. Smaller/more frequent meals do nothing different than larger/less frequent meals.

Personally, I do 8:16 IF and break my fast at 11am with my largest meal of the day (around 1,000-1,200 calories). I eat again at around 6 pm, with a slightly smaller meal. I do not snack at all. The rest of the time I drink water and go about my day :) I love the simplicity of this schedule and also the larger meals I eat. I never ever get hungry during my fasting times-my body loves this schedule and for me, it's what I'll be doing long term for my maintenance plan :smile:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hi folks, good morning,

Interested in your thoughts?

my thoughts are "no" ...

if you like eating six meals a day and it works for you, then more power to you. However, eating six meals or 24 meals, or one meal has nothing to do with metabolism.

Please explain to me why breakfast is the "most important meal of the day"....

I skipped it for eight months and had no adverse side effects...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    When you're hungry.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    first of all breakfast has nothing to do with "jump starting" metabolism. Meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. So you can eat three times a day, one time a day, or 24 times once an hour and there is zero impact on metabolism.

so the answer is it does not matter when you eat breakfast, and, if you want, you could skip it entirely....

I agree with this ^