Name a bad habit youd like to change...

Options
Name a bad habit youd like to change..

Maybe as a group we can help each other achieve those goals..

Replies

• AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I would like to eliminate candy out of my life.. I often turn to candy for comforting.. I need to find an alternative.. One thats convenient that will help with stress.. Like chocolate does..
  • MDVOID
    MDVOID Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would like to being able to keep on going even if it seams that I'm making little progres.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I would like to eliminate candy out of my life.. I often turn to candy for comforting.. I need to find an alternative.. One thats convenient that will help with stress.. Like chocolate does..

Maybe try sugar free candy as a stepping stone - some some people use "the patch" to quit smoking.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I could stand to give up chinese food.
  • shoegirl01
    Options
    I eat way too much sushi. My friends and family would eat it at every meal. Have you ever checked the cals on those rolls? Oh my gosh, every time I go out or eat with any friends its at least a 500 cal meal. Just crazy. So, my bad habit is to learn portion control when it comes to sushi! Sounds dumb but its my silly goal!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I really need to get out and exercise, but I often find myself not wanting to do it (would rather clean the house even). And gyms are to expensive.
  • AprilVal
    Options

Maybe try sugar free candy as a stepping stone - some some people use "the patch" to quit smoking.

I actually have some Sugar Free hard candy.. I started using it but then stopped.. Maybe ill stick to it.. :)

My job is often stressful.. All of us ladies turn to Chocolate for comfort.. hah.. Not a good thing.. Although chocolate once in a while is ok. But some times I tend to indulge in chocolate a little too much..
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    A bad habit I would like to change is when my weight loss has slowed down or stalled I almost inevitably I lose motivation to work out as much as I should. It makes me nuts because that's the time that I need to be working out more than ever.
  • AprilVal
    Options
    I really need to get out and exercise, but I often find myself not wanting to do it (would rather clean the house even). And gyms are to expensive.

House work is a good alternative to going to the gym..

I have a Wii.. I use that quite often.. There are soo many resources around that you can use.. you just gotta know the right things to do..

Ive taken a liking to boxing.. it helps burn alot of calories.. I feel amazing afterwards.
  • AprilVal
    Options
    A bad habit I would like to change is when my weight loss has slowed down or stalled I almost inevitably I lose motivation to work out as much as I should. It makes me nuts because that's the time that I need to be working out more than ever.

Have you tried switching up a bit?? Change routine?? Find a pal to help you work harder.. Theres gotta be something.. :)
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    I eat way too much sushi. My friends and family would eat it at every meal. Have you ever checked the cals on those rolls? Oh my gosh, every time I go out or eat with any friends its at least a 500 cal meal. Just crazy. So, my bad habit is to learn portion control when it comes to sushi! Sounds dumb but its my silly goal!

Really? 500 calories, at least to me, doesn't sound like much - particularly with a eating out meal. I'm a BIG sushi fan too, so...yeah. lol I get you when it comes to wanting to learn portion control when it comes to sushi. It's really my favorite food. :)
  • StacySkinny
    Options

Have you tried switching up a bit?? Change routine?? Find a pal to help you work harder.. Theres gotta be something.. :)

Yeah, I've tried different workouts. But in the end if I don't have the motivation to do one type of work out, I'm not going to have the motivation to do a different type. lol Unfortunately.

I think you're right though, it would help to have a friend to work out with, to keep me accountable. But I moved here with my boyfriend a while back and left all my family and friends 2,000 miles away, and I don't really have any friends here that I could work out with.
  • liannac
    liannac Posts: 4
    Options
    eating just for the sake of eating
    sometimes i eat when i'm bored.. even though i'm not hungry, its so bad ):
  • StacySkinny
    Options

I think you're doing awesome because you've identified the problem. Every time you go to the kitchen to grab something ask yourself if you're actually physically hungry or just bored or lonely or having some other emotion. Then ask yourself if there is something you can do that would be more helpful than eating our emotions. Go for a short walk around the block, go brush your teeth, anything to get your mind off of food for the moment. Chances are if you distract yourself for 15 minutes then the desire to munch will pass.
  • kerrera
    kerrera Posts: 43
    Options
    nibbling on a night. I stay within calories but always nibble on a night on the days i dont nibble or eat all my calories during the day i always weight less.
  • kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i want to eliminate stress and boredom eating and only eat when I am hungry. I was stressed yesterday and finished off a box of sherbet. Lucky for me it didn't make me feel better so I went out did water aerobics and walked a mile and that made me feel better.

I gave up chocolate almost a month ago and it really has helped me. I am down 19.8 lbs since May 28, 2010. Best of luck to those who want to give up candy. It can be done but it's not easy.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    i want to eliminate stress and boredom eating and only eat when I am hungry. I was stressed yesterday and finished off a box of sherbet. Lucky for me it didn't make me feel better so I went out did water aerobics and walked a mile and that made me feel better.

I gave up chocolate almost a month ago and it really has helped me. I am down 19.8 lbs since May 28, 2010. Best of luck to those who want to give up candy. It can be done but it's not easy.

Excellent work, Kara! Congratulations on the 20 lb weight loss!
  • Sonflower
    Options
    Mine would be impulse snacks at the grocery store...I love standing in the line and trying to figure out what kind of goodie to buy..my favorites are combos, m & M's and a coke...well, I have given up the cokes except for diet pepsi max and as for sugar I very seldom crave it anymore since I am trying to do the real food diet..so I am doing better..
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Mine would be impulse snacks at the grocery store...I love standing in the line and trying to figure out what kind of goodie to buy..my favorites are combos, m & M's and a coke...well, I have given up the cokes except for diet pepsi max and as for sugar I very seldom crave it anymore since I am trying to do the real food diet..so I am doing better..

I hear ya Sonflower! When I grocery shop, I'll go past the candy and see things on sale, and think, oh wow, 2 for $1? Such a good bargain! I'm a sucker for sno caps... That plus my craving for fried things, which I'm sorry to say I've been having lately more than I should.. I've stayed away from the sweets ok, and have found that once you get over that initial craving, you really don't miss it, as I've read many a person state on here. I made chocolate cupcakes the other day, and they're still sitting in my kitchen, and I have no real desire to have any, woohoo!
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options

I'm with you! I do the same thing, and feel really bad afterwards because I know I'm doing it... But I've taught myself to remember that tomorrow is another day, and I get back on track. Not that I use that as an excuse or as 'permission', but it's so easy to beat ourselves up over these slip-ups. We need to remember that we're only human and not let it ruin all our efforts. It's definitely a habit I want to change though.