Does standing burn calories?

Options
As the title says, I am very curious to know. If so, how much?

I am a cashier at a little supermarket and I stand between 4-6 hours about 3-4 days a week. Pretty much depends what my schedule is like. I will sometimes bag up groceries and carry heavy loads of them out for the customers if they need the help, and I have to do it at a very fast pace if there is more than one person at my register. Sometimes I will stand while I am eating my lunch at my break times. I even walk at a brisk pace to work since I live very close by. It takes 16 minutes to get there and 14 minutes back home.

I drink more than enough water (8-12 cups) every single day for a girl my age, height, and weight. And I try to eat about 1,200-1,300 calories a day, sometimes even more calories if I am going out walking/running, and doing my little exercises.

Dunno if the rest of my lifestyle change info helps anyone, but if any of you could answer my question, I definitely would appreciate it very much.

Hope to hear from you guys soon. :)

~Mo3 <333

Replies

• thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I read that standing burns 50 calories more than sitting. It was something I read (or attribute to?) Jillian Michaels. I dunno if it is true, but yeah :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Merely existing burns calories. So yes, it does. It burns more that sitting or lying, as you are using muscles to maintain balance etc.

Would I log it as exercise? Heck no!

But If I was on my feet as much as you, I'd probably have my settings as "lightly active" or higher.
  • SueFromRI
    SueFromRI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes, standing burns more calories than sitting or sleeping, but in general it is worked into your calorie needs for the day.
  • Mo3RoseWhite
    Options
    Heck no I never track standing as my exercise, so that is why I was wondering if it burns more calories.

But it seems so far from some feedback it does. That makes me feel a bit better knowing that.

So thank you for taking the time to post your comment. :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's why working at a standing job vs sitting job will extend your life by 6 years. You use muscles to make constant corrections and stabilize yourself just by standing
  • SueFromRI
    SueFromRI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    http://www.juststand.org/tabid/637/default.aspx

I found this website where you input your weight and minutes spent standing during the day. It gives you the calorie burn.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Mo3RoseWhite
    Options
    Gee, thanks nomeejerome.

xP lol