seems so stressful

Options
it seems so hard to diet. i wish this was just an over night thing. i really want to lose weight fast but i know it wont happen. i at least hope to lose 50 lbs in a year. is that even possible? tell me how a girl at 280lbs can start working out and eating right. i need a starters plan or motivation or something. ive been dieting for 2 days and it sucks so bad. i hope this feeling will be over soon :(

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Wrong mindset!!! It is not something you do temporarily and stop. You need to change for the long term !! It's not a diet, just eat within the calorie limits MFP sets for you. Don't have the attitude that its something bad!!! It will take time and effort!
  • crystalroselynn
    crystalroselynn Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i really hope to see my mood increase. i just gotta keep doing it. itll pay off one day
  • MalainaBeltran
    Options
    I'm here for moral support if you need it, I'm feeling doubtful as well, but I'm not giving up! :)
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above reply. Please look at it as a lifestyle change. Don't restrict your calories so much you feel terribly deprived...if I did that, I would go crazy and go on a food bender not that far into the process. Then get mad and give up. Been there, done that multiple times.

You should be able to lose 50 lbs in a year with a sensible diet and exercise plan. That's only about a pound a week, which is about what you should try to lose if you want the results to last. Truth be told, you will probably lose faster than that at first then slow down gradually. You will hit some stalls, and you will need to make adjustments at those times, most likely.

Look up "calorie cycling". Here is one source: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hugo19.htm
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, you're not going to get far with that mindset.

Getting healthy doesn't have to feel like punishment! Healthy food can be yummy and filling! Exercise doesnt have to suck!

Google recipes, try and find lower calorie version of food you like.

Setting out beliving you're going to be miserable is inviting failure.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I like this verse, "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but it produces a harvest of peace and righteousness for those who have been trained by it." It's from the Bible and it helps me to realize that all good habits come with a cost.

Secondly, I look at it as treating myself better, not dieting. I am not taking anything away from myself, I'm giving myself what I need. I need lots of good fruits, veggies, and healthy meat choices. I need to learn what my body needs in terms of energy, whether I'm having a slow day, or if I'm working out hard. It's okay to eat more on those days!

I need to learn that my decisions come with a cost, and they also produce a pay-off. What can be accomplished in a year? Only you can know if you give it good attention and see what you and your body can do. On the up-side, you are young, you have a great functioning body, and the time in your life to tackle it. You can enjoy that body you are building for many years. Think of how great it will feel in a dressing room when you think, "Wow, my legs have never looked this good." or "Whoa, my stomach can wear these clothes now, if I want." instead of "Nothing I put on is going to get disguise the fact that I need to lose this weight." It's such a nice thing to be able to wear so many more things, but not need to. You'll be more confident in a tshirt and jeans. It's worth striving for a healthy body.
  • crystalroselynn
    Options
    its just so hard. i hope that the next few days will pass and i wont be craving icecream and tacos and such. i should be losing just by cutting down, eating different, and working out even tho its not by a lot correct?
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If it was easy everyone would be fit.

Stick with it and develop the habits.

It gets easier.

ETA: Also eat ice cream and tacos if you're craving them. Just stay within a deficit and monitor your progress.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    its just so hard. i hope that the next few days will pass and i wont be craving icecream and tacos and such. i should be losing just by cutting down, eating different, and working out even tho its not by a lot correct?

You can eat ice cream and tacos, just watch your portions or find ways to make them healthier. Never deprive yourself totally unless you believe you can go the rest of your life without a scoop of ice cream, pizza, or tacos.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Don't think 50 lbs in a year - think 1 lb a week.

- Set your goals on MFP (it's easy)
    - Log all your foods
    - Do something to burn calories EVERY day. It doesn't have to be anything amazing. Walk for 30 minutes. Get to the gym. Whatever.

That will get you started. Eventually (sooner rather than later) add a strength program. It's easier at a gym, but you can do home stuff if you don't have access to a gym. Read the forums for ideas.

I've lost 27 lbs and I'm less than a third of the way to my goal. You have to start somewhere and there will never be a better place than right here.
  • Patti1023
    Patti1023 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ^what they said.

You have to decide that this is something you want to do, and that you're going to follow through on. You have to be ready to embrace this change or you'll fail. I've been there, it's taken me this long in my life before I was finally ready & willing & committed to change.

Last weekend I went to a grad party, someone said "you look great, what have you been doing to lose weight?" I said I was counting calories & working out. They asked me how I stay motivated? My answer was simple: I committed to making this change, so because of that I never lose motivation. I've had a couple life situations that have caused me to have temporary bumps but I will not stop. Period.

You have to make yourself ready, get your head right that this is something you want & you won't give up. It's not a "diet", it's a life change.

You CAN do this!!! :smile:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It wasn't so hard for me, because I didn't really make any drastic changes. I did start exercising, which I hadn't been doing before, but I didn't eliminate anything from my diet, and I still haven't. Eating clean is never a bad thing, but if you're not used to it, it can be a big step. A lot of people on this site have lost a lot of weight and are not clean eaters.

I don't think of it as a diet. I really do think of it as a lifestyle change, because I'm eating now the way I want to eat for the rest of my life. I eat whatever I want! Just a little less of it. That's where logging calories comes in. As long as you're eating at a calorie deficit, you should lose weight. And the smaller the deficit, the easier it is to stick to. A lot of people start out on MFP with their weekly weight loss goal set at 2 pounds. But if you feel like your daily calorie goal is too low and you can't stick to it, aim to lose 1 pound a week instead. And always eat back some or all of your exercise calories!

It's entirely possible to lose 50 pounds in a year. That would be just over 4 pounds a month, which is a healthy and sustainable goal. It seems like a big number now, but maybe setting smaller goals will help motivate you and keep you on track. Take small steps in the right direction, and don't make any huge changes that you can't stick to. Log everything you eat as accurately as possible. Make time for exercise, even if it just means going for a walk. Be patient with yourself, and remember that even if you have a bad day here and there, it doesn't mean you have to give up or start over. Just eat a little less, move a little more, and tweak as needed. :smile:

Good luck! Feel free to add me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

We have tacos about once a week, not even on a "Cheat" day! Lean meat, plenty of salad, light sour cream, reduced fat cheese (actually, I still use full fat), salsa... YUM! No need to avoid tacos!

As for icecream, we keep Snickers Bar Icecreams in the freezer and I totally fit one into my calories every couple of days.

Don't tell yourself you can't have things you love, you will just want them more, cave and then feel bad. Work out ways to fit them in!
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    it seems so hard to diet. i wish this was just an over night thing. i really want to lose weight fast but i know it wont happen. i at least hope to lose 50 lbs in a year. is that even possible? tell me how a girl at 280lbs can start working out and eating right. i need a starters plan or motivation or something. ive been dieting for 2 days and it sucks so bad. i hope this feeling will be over soon :(

Hello doll!

I just want you to know that we have all been at a stump when it comes to weight loss. Like you want it to happen but you don't want it to be so time consuming, and it sucks that it has to be such a process. But you will get there! I was at 200lbs and I am not 110lbs so I know that you can drop those 50lbs!! Just put positivity in your head and say that you can doooo it because you can.

And don't give up foods you love... plan your cheat days strategically so you are able to still have your favorite foods. your metabolism enjoys these cheat meals. (: It'll help promote you weight loss.

You've got this!
  • Blushae
    Blushae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First off you can stop calling it a diet . It has to be a lifestyle change. If you have keep it up for three days it will become a habit. Start by eating half of what you normally would. You can eat what you want but you can either use a smaller plate ( salad plate and one helping) or you can have a protein shake before you eat anything. Next , have a glass of water with every meal and snack. Do your best not to eat after 7. Get more fiber into your life. I also found that a cleanse really helped motivate me.

But, above all else ... DO NOT DO IT IF YOU ARE NOT SERIOUS !
    If you know that you are not gonna put in the effort , don't waste your time ! Fyi : you have to get some kind of activity in ( ie: walking, jogging , dancing,,zumba, or try ten crunches every nite before you go to bed ) good luck
  • NewDad24
    NewDad24 Posts: 45
    Options
    Fifty pounds of weight-loss in a year is very possible. Aim for one pound lost per week. That is a very healthy pace with little chance for rebound effect if you work on the numbers. Attack this challenge with a good plan. You can do it!
  • crystalroselynn
    Options
    so eating healthy and cheating is ok as long as the cheating is in moderation?
    i will start counting calories and working out.
    any other tips? all and any is completely welcomed!
  • Patti1023
    Patti1023 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

If you're just starting, start with something you know you can manage right off the bat. If you're struggling after just a couple days then maybe you need to work your way into this - like everyone has said, it's a life change & you want to succeed, WE want you to succeed.

For me personally, I don't call it "cheating", but there are days I choose to go over my calories for the day, so technically I guess it's the same thing. Just log it even if you know you're eating something not so great & will go over, the logging is really key to keep track of what you're eating & how much.

For the workouts, if you're not used to working out then start small there too or you might overdo it & be super sore & the next day will be hard for you to want to work out again. Start with what you know you can be successful at and add on more reps or weights or more of whatever you do for your workouts.

And I hate to sound like a broken record but you have to HAVE TO do this because you want to & are committed to it. If you think of this as something you have to do it will suck. This is the start of the new normal, it's what you DO, period. This is the beginning of your new, wonderful, more healthy life. Yay for you for making this change!!

P.S. I eat fast food sometimes but it takes a little research to see what fits into your plan. Taco Bell has fresco tacos that aren't too bad, and lately I've had an Arby's wrap that I usually have the calories available for, for dinner. It just takes planning for those days you want the foods that aren't super healthy.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If you want , you can add me. :p I have 3 cheat meals a month. I still eat cookies, cakes and goodies mind you I bake... and for this reason they come out synfully healthy but so damn good haha. I even go out to eat and I still lose pounds and tone. It's about knowing what you eat and how you portion it.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

I'd suggest not thinking of it as cheating. Just work on counting calories and eat what you like.