IF (intermittent Fasting)???

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I agree. I've been doing it for a year, but you need to be flexible and not be bogged down with the windows. If i know I'm going to be going out where there will be alcohol and i want to have a bit... I'll just push my window off and not break my fast so early. Most days during the work week I'll eat from 12-8, sometimes ill push it and break my fast at 3PM and cut off at 9PM if I'm a bit more backed up. You're still reaping the benefits from it, but not being obsessive.
    Completely off topic but your lats are absolutely insane haha! Makes your upper body like triple your waist!

:laugh: thanks mate. Deadlifts and chinups, YEW!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70cH74ZtCM8

Here's a video about intermittent fasting. Some research says it works for men...but not really for women.

It works for anyone who can stick to it and maintain a calorie deficit (assuming you're trying to lose weight). It's not magic. I do it because I like to eat big meals full of red meat and chocolate and ice cream. I couldn't do that if I were eating 6 small meals per day. But some people get a kick out of eating all day long, and those people aren't going to do well on an IF protocol.

There has been some discussion to the effect that women, in general, may not be able to fast for as long as men. But there are always exceptions. If it fits your lifestyle and is something you can do indefinitely, then it works. If not, then it doesn't work.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If I get a ravenous appetite sometimes I'll let myself eat upwards of 1000 calories early in the day before work or exercise, followed by up to 6 hours with only a couple hundred calories mixed in if I feel an absolute need....as long as I hit goal for the day I don't think it would matter all that much. Noticed eating so much in one meal helps to reduce my appetite, while at other times it makes hitting calories harder for the day because you have to cut back later.
  • foodfastfit
    foodfastfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm also a 5:2 dieter after reading "The FastDiet" by Dr. Michael Mosley. I find 5:2 easier to follow than daily calorie restriction.
  • NewDad24
    NewDad24 Posts: 45
    Options
    It is a little funny that IF gains praise despite interfering with being able to have as many late-night booze-fests as normal. Is it just me or does anybody else see the irony? I hear there is a high alcohol and protein only weight-crash diet that is killer. A killer for your liver that is.

Lesson is that if you are losing weight because you consume less alcohol, credit the most rational explanation.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    It is a little funny that IF gains praise despite interfering with being able to have as many late-night booze-fests as normal. Is it just me or does anybody else see the irony? I hear there is a high alcohol and protein only weight-crash diet that is killer. A killer for your liver that is.

Lesson is that if you are losing weight because you consume less alcohol, credit the most rational explanation.

I'm not talking about binge drinking. If I finished all my calories by 10PM and then later that night I had a few craft beers that adds like 600 calories (3 beers) and would completely negate my healthy 20% deficit. I'm not going to plan my drinking because thats just silly and sounds like alcoholism. I'm also not going to run home and burn off 600 calories because thats tantamount to developing an eating disorder.

Anyone who is binge drinking on a regular basis is going to have worse things to worry about than eating outside some eating window. They also wont be able to maintain a deficit while consuming the macros and micros they need to be healthy.

Thanks for assuming the worst and making me elaborate. I'm sorry your life is so dull that you assume I'm an alcoholic because I have a social life. Later pops.

ETA: Im not for or against IF, however, I'm against alienating yourself from your friends. If a flexible IF schedule works for you than go for it. If it interferes with your lifestyle then move on. Its as simple as that.
  • FedoraNinja
    Options
    I tried intermittent Fasting, and found it was not for me. I found I was generally a little too spacey and lethargic during the fasted period to really give my all at work.

That said, I think everyone getting ready to do traditional calorie restriction could benefit from doing a couple of 18 or 24 hour fasts. Fasting is a great way to learn the difference from habitual food cravings and actual hunger, which makes learning new food habits much easier.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options

I do IF and I don't drink alcohol at all (actually the only thing I drink is water-no coffee, sodas, juice or milk) :smile:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It's the bomb. Go through the day hungry, then feast when eating window arrives. Go to sleep full on less calories.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2. Really like it, I don't go mad on non fast days (About 1550 ish) but I find I can be more relaxed than I was doing 1300kcal on 7 days. Not for everyone but I'd recommend it to others.

I started by watching the Horizon documentary 'East, Fast, Live Longer' you can watch in on Vimeo if you want to.
  • GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    must say i am much better not eating till lunch time...seems to help my diabetes too...but as always..individual choice is the answer :smile:
    also..Anachronisms dont help, if they arent explained....:grumble:
  • foodfastfit
    foodfastfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2. Really like it, I don't go mad on non fast days (About 1550 ish) but I find I can be more relaxed than I was doing 1300kcal on 7 days. Not for everyone but I'd recommend it to others.

I started by watching the Horizon documentary 'East, Fast, Live Longer' you can watch in on Vimeo if you want to.

Found a link to the documentary:

http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/
  • NewDad24
    NewDad24 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm all for the IF. I already posted that what people here are calling IF with whatever numbers go along with that for hours of day is actually very similar to Ramadan fasting with no food during daylight hours. It has worked noticeably for me though I could not put a number on it; and the weight-loss effects last beyond the fasting period. After Ramadan, it was time to hit the bars, so the after effects of the fast were weight-loss with business as usual, not just from cutting alcohol.
    I'm not talking about binge drinking. If I finished all my calories by 10PM and then later that night I had a few craft beers that adds like 600 calories (3 beers) and would completely negate my healthy 20% deficit. I'm not going to plan my drinking because thats just silly and sounds like alcoholism. I'm also not going to run home and burn off 600 calories because thats tantamount to developing an eating disorder.

Anyone who is binge drinking on a regular basis is going to have worse things to worry about than eating outside some eating window. They also wont be able to maintain a deficit while consuming the macros and micros they need to be healthy.

Thanks for assuming the worst and making me elaborate. I'm sorry your life is so dull that you assume I'm an alcoholic because I have a social life. Later pops.

ETA: Im not for or against IF, however, I'm against alienating yourself from your friends. If a flexible IF schedule works for you than go for it. If it interferes with your lifestyle then move on. Its as simple as that.

Three low-cal beers is your definition of what you said is "partying?" Well the details of your drinking would be important to consider when talking about the benefits of your fasting. Mark some few red flags if you are annoyed, defensive, in denial, or feel guilty when people question your drinking.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Someone had recommended this Intermittent fasting as a way to lose weight. Did some research and supposedly there's 2 ways to do it: for 24 hrs or for 6-8 hours. I don't trust anything with the word "fasting" associated in it, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea for only 6-12 hours.
    Has anyone tried this, and if they have is it safe and did it actually work?
    Thanks!

I've used IF and lost more weight than i've done with any other protocol. It works you just need to do it right and stick to it (its going to SUCK in the beginning)....
  • THE_DOCTORSWIFE
    THE_DOCTORSWIFE Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have been following the 5:2 IF protocol and I love it. It fits into my life style, I stick to 500 cal 2 days a week and 1200-1600 5 days a week to keep me at a 3500 deficit for the week.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I love IF, and I don't really see how doing IF would alienate you from anyone. If anything I find that it makes going out for dinner/drinks with friends after work a whole lot easier...
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The best pare about IF is that your body gets a break from digestion to recuperate and fix your metabolism. Humans arnt meant to graze.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

I had about 1.5 years sober when I started IF and now I have about 2.5 years sober and I lost weight. Alcohol had already been removed from the equation.
  • mjswalters
    mjswalters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do JUDDD and I like it. I lost 20 pounds last summer and fall and then moved to eating at a general deficit over the holidays. Even though I was eating at my TDEE-20%, I was gaining. I kept reducing my calories but I was still gaining (or maintaining) even right above my BMR, so I've now come back over to JUDDD after gaining back about 8 pounds. For whatever reason, this is how my body seems to like to do it.
  • momthenurse
    momthenurse Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started doing the 16:8 about two weeks ago. It comes naturally to me and is working well. I stop eating at 8pm and do not eat again until 12pm the next day. I'm not binging or overeating during 8 hour window and have no desire to. When I was eating breakfast every morning I was more prone to binge or eat junk the rest of the day. I don't know why but it's true in my case. I TRY to eat clean and plant based. As with anything you need to find what works for you.