how to carry personal protection when running?

Options
akj_25
akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
ok so this may be a strange question -- but does anyone carry personal protection when running, pepper spray or gun... where do you carry it so it doesn't flop around or get in your way???
i just can't seem to find a way to carry anything that wont drive me absolutely nuts.

i haven't been running much the past couple weeks because my husband is getting home later so i would have to run at dusk, and i have been a little freaked out about that idea. -- now i am not worried about humans, my concern in my area is bears (and wolf). i don't run in a overly wooded area, but i have reason to be freaked out - as i got bit by a bear a year ago. and there have been several bear attacks in the news lately getting me re-freaked.

i really need to get back into my running routine, i have a 5k coming up soon. i do bring my dog with so that helps a little. or maybe i should run with the fear it might make me run faster (or turn around sooner)

Replies

• healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You got bit by a bear!!! Omg there must be some kind of arm band that you could put the spray in.
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I too would like to know how fellow runners are carrying pepper spray. Lately there has been alot of attacks on women in our town, and it is usually because they are out and about by themselves and I run by myself. Unfortunately, none of my friends/husband run so gaining buddies is an issue. And the treadmill...it just sucks lol. Let me know any suggestions. Great post!
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Eeeeeek that's pretty scary stuff. The only thing I have to dodge is merry drunk Yorkshire men and the occasional angry duck!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Eeeeeek that's pretty scary stuff. The only thing I have to dodge is merry drunk Yorkshire men and the occasional angry duck!

Yup, I only have to worry about hissing Geese along the canals!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about bears don't bother carrying a gun. That will just piss them off. I remember the bear spray I had in Wyoming came with a nice holster that you could attach to a belt. Just make sure it's a good brand like Counter Assault or UDAP but you probably already know that.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've seen hand held pepper sprays in pink pouches no less at hunting stores, cabella's and gander mountain
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've carried the canisters of bear spray while hunting out west. They are in a little holster.

If you go the gun route, there's a site called pistol wear I believe. They have belly bands that strap to you and keep it from bouncing.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    A handgun you can carry comfortably while running isn't going to do squat against a bear other than make it mad... Bear spray is your best bet.

http://counterassault.com/store.htm They have the spray canister with a chest harness which might be suitable for running.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    they make fanny packs with velcro rip away to carry a gun or whatever.
  • igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When I was still in South Africa I used to run with pepper spray. I'd just hold it in my hand and it didn't bother me. Not sure if you're just talking sprays or what though... definitely wouldn't run with a gun in my hand - haha.

Agree re the holster as well - you get loads of great belts for carrying water bottles and snacks for long distance running - I'm sure something like that could be adapted for your needs.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I've seen hand held pepper sprays in pink pouches no less at hunting stores, cabella's and gander mountain

Those are meant for people and maybe a dog but they don't have the capsaicin concentration and volume necessary against a bear.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    id go kitted like John Rambo M60 n'all
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    a good old french baguette. they're harder than you think.
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    First Zombie Running now Bear dodging? Def sounds like a way to improve my pb ;)
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Have you considered running with bells on? I know...it would drive me crazy as well but I know when we ride horse here we put bells on them so that the wildlife know we are around. You could wear a ring of them around your ankle if you could stand the noise. They generally retreat into the woods when they here people coming. I would definitely carry bear spray as well though if you have been bit before. What area so you live in?
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You got bit by a bear!?! I don't blame you for being afraid! If I'm not running with my two big *kitten* dogs, I run with pepper spray in my hand. I try to keep my grip loose but the button in the right spot to push the trigger quickly if I need to. That way it doesn't mess with my form too much. Maybe a small can of bear spray (I hear that bear spray is even more potent then mace)?

Edit: My husband and I both have CCL, we do not carry while running... Can't think of a safe/comfortable way to do it. Also, wouldn't want to expose my weapon to my sweaty body. Shudder to think what the salt would do to it in the long run... even if I wiped it down after a run...
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    OK i was thinking this was going to be a question about cell phone holders or tampax... bears! yikes!

I don't know how big the spray can is, but can you put it in one of those arm straps (like the ones people use for MP3s/cell phones)?
  • timeasterday
    Options
    The cans are pretty darn big!

IMG_0274-bear-spray.gif
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's been said in here already, but no gun that anyone can comfortably carry and run with is going to help you in the event of a bear attack, so get bear spray. It's probably going to be awkward at first, but you're probably just going to have to carry it in your hands like a water bottle/canteen.

Alternatively, learn to run with a rifle chambered in 7.62 NATO on your back (good luck with that).

For ladies looking to carry a gun while running, this came up on google:
    http://www.armedinheels.com/undertech-undercover-compression-shorts-product-review-pg-12.html?CDpath=3

Again, PLEASE DON'T GO RUNNING WHERE THERE ARE BEARS WITH ONLY A PISTOL TO DEFEND YOURSELF. YOU'RE GONNA DIE.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Depending upon how the laws of where you live, you might be able to open carry a pistol in an ankle holster or some cops use something called thunderwear which is specially designed underwear for concealed carry. Again, please be certain you follow the laws of your state because you don't want to get jammed up by being charged with a crime.