Is biking/cycling effective?

Options
I got a bike for college (so excited) and I've taken up cycling more in addition to lifting because I have a kind of bum ankle. My question is, well, IS biking effective for fat loss? I guess I'd be more focused on HIIT biking on the days I don't lift (or I'd swim) and obviously in college, that and walking would be my main mode of transportation. Would I see results if paired with a good diet?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Well that was easy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Well that was easy.

Diet is more important. Cycling will help create a calorie deficit but it's the quantity you eat that matters most.
    Cycling is great for fitness, especially couple with the other activity you do.

Edit: And if you are in Durham there are some great back roads to ride to Chapel Hill and have some ice cream .... :)

<--- used to race on Erwin Road
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Well that was easy.

Diet is more important. Cycling will help create a calorie deficit but it's the quantity you eat that matters most.

Edit: And if you are in Durham there are some great back roads to ride to Chapel Hill and have some ice cream .... :)

<--- use to race on Erwin Road
    Just following the wall of quotes I agree with. And cycling is a quick way to create a calorie deficit too. Go cardio. Make sure you fuel yourself adequately to help with your fitness so your legs repair etc. Keep it up!
  • reggiepe
    reggiepe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know.....started riding this week. I started on Father's day with the intent of changing my exercise routine and one that would have me outdoors. I go out for an hour each evening and depending on the road (hills) I pedal off anywhere from 5 to 10 miles in that hour. I started with a goal of 25 miles a week but am going to have to seriously reset that as I am at 28 miles ridden for the week so far. It has to be effective when coupled with a good diet with a calorie deficit.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Well that was easy.

Just be aware that the Durham section of the Tobacco Trail has had some crime problems, so try to find someone to ride with if you go there.
  • Nitro2310
    Nitro2310 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I contribute most of my weight loss to cycling/spin I averaged 72 miles a week but I did that on a resistance trainer due not wanting to be run over in traffic here in the Boston area also it easier on knees hips etc.If you have a road bike I encourage to go to a bike shop and have it fit it really helps when I do road riding for charity.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Well that was easy.

Just be aware that the Durham section of the Tobacco Trail has had some crime problems, so try to find someone to ride with if you go there.
    Yay Durhamites! I haven't taken out the bike yet, but I've been using the ones in the gym that have the resistance things on them. I have to get some things before I take the real bike out. But I lift, too. On off days, I usually cycle for 30-60 minutes and on lifting days I warm up on the bike for 5 mins before diving into the weights.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I go to spin classes and I love it. I know it's different from actual cycling but I find my HRM shows I burn a lot of calories and my legs have gotten stronger and that in turn has helped me run/jog on the treadmill. for me being over 200lbs that's a big deal lol i think you will enjoy it and it's a great way to fit in cardio :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Is cycling effective? I sure hope so cause it's what I do and enjoy mainly.
  • jeep4james
    jeep4james Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started cycling about a year ago and have lost over 50lbs so far. I think it's an awesome way to burn calories without beating up your body. I have since added different types of exercise just to keep from becoming bored. However if weight loss is your goal high intensity is not always needed. Fat burn is more effective while keeping a longer but somewhat lower heart rate. From what I've read High intensity exercises make your body use carbs for fuel rather than fat. Maybe invest in a heart rate monitor and try to keep yourself in the "fat burning" zone.
    Blessings.