Couch to 5k - looking for online partners!

Hi! I'm 24 years old and looking for someone like me who wants to start running the couch to 5k and we can keep track of our progress on here and motivate each other. I've started it before, around October of last year, but only made it like week 3 or 4 and gave up! I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds by exercising and eating right and would love some extra support from girls like me, I'm 5'4 and currently 160pounds! Please add me or send me a message if you're interested!!

Replies

• BadassCrossfitMama
    BadassCrossfitMama Posts: 110 Member
    I'm doing it but my free trial is about to run out so I will be doing it without the app. I ran yesterday just to run and finished my first full mile!
  • Wow!!! You ran the whole mile? I can walk a mile but can't yet run one straight without having to stop and usually quitting because I get frustrated!! Do you run on treadmill or outside?
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    I just did week 7-day 3 today (25 minutes of running)....which means running the entire 5k is in my near future-and I am not 100% confident I can do it, but at this point it is mind over matter---I just gotta get my head right. I have been doing the program to the T, so I know I am physically ready for it....eeeek!

. Feel free to add me :D
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    I'm starting the Zombie Run C25k today! I tried the regular program about a year ago but stopped. I think I made it to week 2. Hoping this time I finish since the zombie story line is kind of interesting and I'll want to see what happens hehe!

Add me if you like! I'll be going for my workout in about an hour :)
  • I love zombies!!!! Is that an app on your phone??
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    I'm on week 5 of Zombie 5k - its an app . It does cost about $3 but it maps where you have ran and also has a fantastic story line which has keep me interested. . Once you have done the 5k training you can go onto the running app they also have which included being chased by zombies..

For Zombie 5k there is a group on here.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    I'm doing it but my free trial is about to run out so I will be doing it without the app. I ran yesterday just to run and finished my first full mile!

I just ran a full mile on Saturday also (a free run) that was my FIRST EVER mile!!!

I'm just finished Week 4, starting week 5 on Friday.

Check out the apps available for you phone, I have a free one.
  • Dragn77
    Yup it's an app! I got it a cpl days ago and it was 1.99 it may have been on sale though? Cause I keep seeing others say it's more. I'll look for the zombie group on here...I should've guessed there would be one lol

Saw your add req Jay...adding you now!
  • Yup it's an app! I got it a cpl days ago and it was 1.99 it may have been on sale though? Cause I keep seeing others say it's more. I'll look for the zombie group on here...I should've guessed there would be one lol

Just downloaded it!! And I got it for 1.99 too but it says its 50% for limited time so we got lucky!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Yup it's an app! I got it a cpl days ago and it was 1.99 it may have been on sale though? Cause I keep seeing others say it's more. I'll look for the zombie group on here...I should've guessed there would be one lol

Just downloaded it!! And I got it for 1.99 too but it says its 50% for limited time so we got lucky!

I think mine was the same - also look at their zombie run app if that's on special offer. I tend to put most stuff in dollars as most people tend to be the from the states.

Here is the link for the zombie group:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/6504-zombies-run-group
  • Thank you!!!!
  • Dragn77
    Ooh thank you for the link to the group!

YAY for getting in on the sale! I've heard nothing but good things about it so I'm hopeful :)
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    I am on week 4 day 2 of the C25k program.. it is a challenge for sure but you have to keep going.. I am looking ahead to the finish line and cant wait to actually say that I have accomplished the 5k and actually ran the whole thing. It also helps to blog your way thru it, I am finding it very useful to do that, I see how far I have come and what was going thru my head as the weeks go by.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    I can honestly say that is does work. I completed the program last August, but then quit running. Started again last week and completed W2D2 today. You can all do it. It truly is mind over matter. I just have to have the discipline to stick with when I am done. I had every intention of doing bridge to 10k but ragweed season hit and then i got lazy. And here I am 9 months later starting from scratch. Well, actually past scratch bcuz I weighed 215 last time I started. This time I started at 220. Good luck everyone.

Doug
  • obiegirl
    obiegirl Posts: 28
    Um, I'm all over the Zombie 5K app. I'm going to go download it now. Running a 5K is one of my goals - I have a total hang up about running that goes all the way back to being overweight and having to run the mile in gym class. Baggage, much? At any rate, downloading the app now and then am headed outside to start. Feel free to friend me and we can run from zombies together!
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    i'm the same height and weight as you currently! i'm looking to lose another 25 pounds, so I started c25k 3 weeks ago to change up my cardio. i was on week 2, day 2. but i went on vacation and fell off the wagon! so i started again today at week 1, day 2. it's not easy to get the motivation to run, but it sure feels damn good afterward! good luck!
  • Xeldadog
    Xeldadog Posts: 15 Member
    I had great success with C5k about 7-8 years ago when I was on WW. Back then, I met a group of women on the message boards interested in sprint triathlons. At the same time, a friend encouraged me to enter my first sprint triathlon, and so my journey with C5K began. The only distance I ran was from the front door to the car in a down pour, so jog/walking was a good start. Eventually, the WW women met up in Chicago for the Chicago triathlon a year later. It was amazing for 20 women that met online to organize a meet up. I lost 20+ pounds back then, however started grad school and slowly over a 4 year period put the weight back on. I also realized that maintaining weight loss by always training for spint triathlons was an unsustainable life change plan.

Recently, I bought the C2K app for $2.99 after using the trial period on the app. Before the C2k app, I would write down the running plan for the day on my hand because I would never remember the walk/jog timing. I also like the app because I don't have to look at my heart rate monitor watch to track the passing of 30/60/90 seconds. Just looking at the watch made me slog along because I was wondering if I had to stop or not. The app allows me to concentrate on running by not having to worry about the timing.

I'm about to run W2, D2 this morning. It's my 3rd week on week 2!

I need motivation, as well. Please add me as a friend if your interested.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    I graduated from C25K in November 2012 and ran my first 5K at parkrun that month. I'm still running and still love it and am getting closer to being able to run the 5K in 30 minutes. I ran this morning and will be doing parkrun this Saturday and the 5K Race for Life the following Sunday. I couldn't run for a bus before but C25K worked for me.

I used the free NHS podcasts and found them so encouraging. I started out using MapMyWalk but switched to Runkeeper and still use that to keep track of my routes and pace. I run alone and compete against myself. This morning I did 10 minutes and 20 seconds per mile average pace so getting closer to that sub 30 minute time. I run three times a week and do a mix of cardio and strength work on the other days. Overall I've lost 56lbs since starting on MFP. I started on MFP then got a FitBit then started C25K.

I wish you all success with the programme. A supportive exercise bra and good running shoes has been key for me. I didn't get my running shoes until I'd completed week 5 because I didn't know if I'd want to carry on. I'll be needing a new pair soon :bigsmile:
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    First off, any steps in the right direction deserves congratulations. I kept my running under wraps for a long time because, if I quit, I didn't want to feel guilty. For better or worse, I think I will be running for awhile more. You can read more about my jogging thing at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1023530-look-mom-i-can-jog.

Anyhow, I use "rundouble" and they have programs for C25K, 10Ks, etc. I love it and suggest it. If you like, I can record crazy scenarios to help you run faster like Zombie. How about you are standing between me and a sirloin and I haven't eaten in 6 hours :laugh:
  • RacheeeRay
    RacheeeRay Posts: 46 Member
    Feel free to add also! I just started the Couch to 5K this week, and am liking it so far! Looking forward to being able to run 30 minutes non stop, even thought that sounds un-real right now! haha!
    We can do this!! :)
    Good luck!