I woke up at 3am and ate 700+ calories.

Options
So, I'm going to be a bit short today. Does anyone else do that?

I try not to go to bed hungry, and don't make this mistake often, but it happens occasionally. How do you guys deal with the next day?

I guess I don't really need breakfast - I'm not hungry - but it's my favourite meal and I'm craving it.

Replies

• totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yep, has happened to me plenty of times! Cheese, bread and cereal were the worst, so I got rid of them from the house. I would just be more csreful with what you eat over the whole day rather than denying yourself breakfast if you want it!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Really?

Were you awake for it?

Or did you wake up just stupidly hungry, and said screw it, we're doing this?
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am not a 3 am eater by any means, but I think we all have made the "oops" of eating too much at one point or another, right?

Try drinking plenty of water, get some movement in if at possible, and make good choices today...just try not to go to bed hungry tonight.

Don't let 700 calories stand in your way. :smile:
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself, accept that this day's count will be high, and eat the rest of the day as you normally would. If it keeps happening, take a second look.

My tough time is before bed. Sometimes I grimace through it, sometimes I don't, but I try to keep better things for me around, so, if I'm going to blow it, at least it'll be a better selection to choose from! Hyrdation throughout the day helps me, too.

Good luck!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Really?

Were you awake for it?

Or did you wake up just stupidly hungry, and said screw it, we're doing this?

I went to bed hungry, around midnight . . . but wasn't able to fall asleep, because I was hungry. So, I thought, "I'm never going to get to sleep if I don't eat something." Then I thought, "This is good . . . I'll just have . . . " Then I added it all up and thought, tomorrow's going to be a bit of a cow, but I'll deal with that tomorrow. I feel gooooooooodZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ."
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You wont get fat in one day. You're fine.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I always log before I eat. That way I can talk myself out of eating the entire half gallon of ice cream... and only having a cup instead. :laugh:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I say make healthy choices the rest of the day. You will be over on calories today but thats ok. Its just one day..own it! Try to maybe get in a workout if you can today to help offset it. One day of high calories isnt going to kill you :happy:
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    One day is not gong to hurt you. Just eats you normally would ( including the breakfast your craving) and call it a day and move forward tomorrow.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I definitely have my overeating problems, but I've never gotten out of bed in the middle of the night to eat. That's strange to me.

They used to tell us in Weight Watchers to just continue your meal calorie counts as you normally would. Above all, don't get into a binge/starve cycle.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i would goto work till 5pm and my night classes would go from 6-9:30pm. so believe me, i would come home starving and i would have something small.
    but right before bed, i have a glass of almond milk. it really fills me up. you should try it, i never goto bed hungry because of it.

when i goto bed hungry, it takes me forever to fall asleep.
  • phonepest
    phonepest Posts: 43
    Options
    This has happened to me! I agree with everyone else, just make better choices today but don't deprive yourself!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    How do you guys deal with the next day?
    IF?

This is not a thing that I do (the 3am eating thing), although I have certainly overeaten at lunch plenty of times. I just workout at night and keep my evening meal smallish.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'd just move on normally with my day and next time, make sure you don't go to bed hungry!!
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My husband does this and I have never understood it. I barley wanna get out of be to pee. I :heart: sleep. I am glad I don't have this habit. I have to many others to worry about. Good luck.
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Relax, eat normal or little less throughout the day. Maybe give it an extra 30-40 mins of cardio if you still feel guilty.

If this is a common thing, the idea of almond milk or chocolate milk before bed is a good one.

My bad time is from the time i get home from work until dinner - it may 30 mins or it may be 2 hours but if I'm not careful I can eat 500 calories during that time. Fruit snacks, chocolate covered acai, trail mix, cereal, nacho chips, cheese, peanut butter you name it, if it's in the pantry or fridge I might grab a handfull. I have found if i get a glass of chocolate milk as soon as I get home I dont graze until dinner time.
  • mlfrailing
    mlfrailing Posts: 79
    Options
    If I go to bed hungry, i wake up feeling fine, maybe a little hungry. If I eat before bed, that's when I really wake up hungry. Probably stomach stretching or some such thing. As far as waking up at 3AM, that is when my alarm goes off, so i am up soon after.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I won! I came in at under 1,500 net yesterday.
    (MFP sets me at 1,200 - but I'm maintaining - so I can go over.)
  • callieboom
    callieboom Posts: 30
    Options
    If I go to bed hungry, i wake up feeling fine, maybe a little hungry. If I eat before bed, that's when I really wake up hungry.

THIS! If I eat a lot in the evening, I wake up ravenous! If I eat well, but don't stuff myself (and try not to eat past 7.00pm other than maybe a small snack) then I don't wake up hungry at all!
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I've never been a middle-of-the-night snacker, but I would think the same thoughts would apply to this as to any other indulgence.

It happened. That's all. Try to stick to your normal diet today and the next. Don't let an oversight derail you.