Is 1200 enough calories?

Options
michlingle
michlingle Posts: 797 Member
Hello!
I read some posts that people felt that by only consuming 1200 calories per day forces the body into starvation mode and thus they won't lose any weight. I'm on day 10 and haven't weighed myself...I want to wait until 2 weeks are over for that. I just wanted to know if the site judged too low for my calories. I'll just put it on the table...I'm 5'8 and weigh 180. Even if the body goes into starvation mode, I'll eventually lose weight anyway right? I want to lose 20-25 pounds in about 2.5 months. I am following this to a tee and exersizing more than my weekly goals and eating my exersize calories (usually). I know I've probably shocked my body since I ate tons of junk food and struggled through any exersize before I started this. In other words, if I stick with what MFP tells me to do, will I lose this weight? I feel fantastic, but I also want to lose the weight!:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Replies

• michlingle
    Options
    Hello!
    I read some posts that people felt that by only consuming 1200 calories per day forces the body into starvation mode and thus they won't lose any weight. I'm on day 10 and haven't weighed myself...I want to wait until 2 weeks are over for that. I just wanted to know if the site judged too low for my calories. I'll just put it on the table...I'm 5'8 and weigh 180. Even if the body goes into starvation mode, I'll eventually lose weight anyway right? I want to lose 20-25 pounds in about 2.5 months. I am following this to a tee and exersizing more than my weekly goals and eating my exersize calories (usually). I know I've probably shocked my body since I ate tons of junk food and struggled through any exersize before I started this. In other words, if I stick with what MFP tells me to do, will I lose this weight? I feel fantastic, but I also want to lose the weight!:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't set the limits really---it can only work with what you tell it.

You have to be honest with your activity level for one.

Two, it is you who pick how much you want to lose per week--MFP can only go on that, your activity level, and your age and sex that you entered.

It then gives you a recommendation to go by.

Will you lose weigh tin starvation mode? Maybe--many stop losing because the body, hungry for fuel, holds onto every single ounce of calories it can get.

You will also be doing physical harm to your system by not giving it enough fuel (food). It will start to cannibalize itself by using lean tissue/muscle for energy.

I think given your age and the small amount of weight you wish to lose, 1200 is too few. You need to aim for a slower rate of loss for it to be healthy and be lasting. Try for 1400 at least though 1600 would probably be better for you.

If you cut back too much, then when you eat "normal" again, your body will gain back at incredible rates!

1200 calories a day is usually for those who have a lot of weight to lose (me for instance)--it is not for most people trying to lose a relatively small amount of weight.
  • apt84
    apt84 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi there...

Well am following the same rule.. am 5'8 as well but weight 158pounds and aim to shed 25pounds.. i started of with 900 cal then shifted to 1000 and now finally margined it to 1200 after reading an article in burn fat and build muscle all i can say is if you weigh 180 pounds then ur daily cal intake for healthy life and not weight loss must be 180x10+180 = 1990 calories(approx) per day,now to achieve a weight loss of 1 pound u must creat a deficit of 500 calories from you diet everyday cuz 500x7=3500calorie(1pound= 3500 calories) therefore u must consume around 1200..1300 to 1400...according to your body and your preference.. now i am not aware which book u have read but i have lost 5stones in last 2 yrs so well aware about the body reactions.. its only the last 10-15pounds wil b difficult and yes you body wil enter the starvation mode once u go less on 1200 cal cuz the body feels tht its in some crisis and whatever is comin in must b stored (as fats) for future, when i was on the diet i was HUNGRY.. but past couple of days i have shifted my diet to 1200 .. but to be frank i stil eat about 900 cal (max).. i survive on negative calorie food , u can try that.. most pple disagree but irrelavant of what pple say its food .. i hope i helped u and not confused u.. but am followin 1200 calorie... try not reducing intentionally.. oops i forgot to ask are u following a particular diet?...
  • apt84
    Options
    oops i forgot to add... try creating a calorie deficit not by starvation but by some physical activity.. i do spinnin for 60min and tht burns about 600cal.. so that day i eat more than 1200 but when i dont workout that day i stick to calorie limit .. limit your consumption to 1200 if you are not working out.. but if you workout then u can eat a lil more.. LITTLE..more..:wink: .. anything or anyhelp u need jus ask moi:smile:
  • michlingle
    Options
    I cannot survive exclusively on negative calorie foods...I just eat heathly foods like soy smoothies, salads, lean meats, and veggies. I eat carbohydrates in the form of high fiber foods too. I'm sticking to 1200 calories per day. If I exersize (I :heart: spinning, step, and strength training), I usually eat those calories or most of them. If I follow this plan, will I lose weight? I'm so confused. I thought losing weight would be easier than this.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    As i said, you may or may not--many people on here tried starting out at 1200 and lost nothing. But once they upped their calories, they began to lose.

Take a look at this thread, and you'll see what one of them had to say happened to her--look near the last few posts and read what happened to kechiemc

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/16414-upped-my-cals?hl=increase+calories#posts-133797

And then read this post for more information that might help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing?hl=up+calories&page=1#posts-19051
  • apt84
    Options
    I know what u mean... but gaining is earier than loosing.. and tel me about it:grumble: ... i want to lose on my lower body and its the last 10kgs that take the maximum...i was having the same dilemma.. by the way am Ap.. now u have to understand by negative calorie food i mean is the fruits and vegetable when consumed burn calories to digest and are healthy like strawberries and berries,...about 1200 cal /day then each and every body react and requries differently.. you have to wait and watch but i can say that if you go lower than 1200 you put urself in starvation mode.. check you weight since the weight loss reflect in a weeks time.. if you think you havent seen any change try adding 100 cal to it = 1300 calories per day cuz you are still eating less than you normal consumption.. right? honestly honey its a trial and error but normally weight wouldn stall in the first week.. if it does increase by a lil mayb 50-100 cal.. its you body and thats how you will learn what your body reacts to.. as of now.. keep the positive attitude.. read everything but believe in one thing and thats urself.. YOU CAN DO IT!!! you will!! :wink: we here to help u as welllll
  • apt84
    Options
    the last thing.. add lean meat or protein with every meal or main course u eat... good luck:flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I started here in Jan at 5'7 and 157
    This site suggested 1200 cals but I thought the cut in cals would be too great for me and I wouldn't stick with it
    I decided on about 1400 cals and did NOT work out (though I am a busy SAHM to a 3 and 4 yr old and never sit down)
    I lost weight....I'm not down 27 pounds and am working on maintaning my weight lose...I'm eating about 1700 cals and have started walking 30-45min a day on our treadmill at home
    I think this site offers some great tools, but everyone is different and I don't think when it comes to weight lose...one size fits all
    I've found the jood journal and message boards invaluable

Let me know if u have any questions
    GOOD LUCK!
    Kim