Fitbit flex or polar ft4 more accurate?

Options
USA2007
USA2007 Posts: 18 Member
I realize that they are totally different things. The ft4 is a HRM used for working out short term, and the fitbit is made to be worn 24/7. I'm leaning towards the fitbit, even though it is a little more expensive because I like the idea of seeing my entire day splashed across the screen versus just the hour I would be working out. However, which one is more accurate on showing calories burned? For now, I want to use it as motivation to work out, and long term I want to use it as maintenance help once I lose my last few pounds. Any help is much appreciated, or reviews on either ( or any other brand or model, those are just the 2 I've looked into!)

Replies

• frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Following this. I have a flex on order. I used to have a polar and one of the things I didn't like was that it really was only for the workout.
  • USA2007
    Options
    That is one of the other considerations... I can have a ft4 overnighted to me, whereas there is a 1-2 month back-order on the flex (although I did hear that best buy has them in stock, online and we have one in my town so that may be an option)
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I use both, but I use my FitBit Flex more. You can actually get one immediately if you feel like paying the premium overprice on eBay,,,,
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IME, any accelerometer-based device is generally on the lower end of the accuracy scale. That said, I've found my Flex to be surprisingly accurate when looking at TDEE cals, and reasonably accurate for exercise cals.
  • r1skbreak3r
    r1skbreak3r Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The HRM should be more accurate because it is monitoring how hard you're working, while the Fitbit can only monitor movement. Having said that, the Fitbit does work well for activities involving whole body movement, but it's not as good for things like yoga or weightlifting where you aren't always moving that much.

I have both a Polar HRM and a Fitbit One - the Fitbit does come pretty close to the HRM when I am playing badminton, so I would trust it for that kind of exercise. Personally I like having both as they both help me to keep motivated :)
  • USA2007
    Options
    I'm hearing a lot of positive things about the flex. I don't expect 100% accuracy, ballpark is good enough for me. I'll be going from almost no planned workouts, so pretty much anything it encourages me to add will be a bonus. It's really well over due for me to get in better shape, the weight loss is coming but the toning sadly isn't! :)

Most of my exercise will be gym based cardio, ie elliptical/treadmill and walking/ jogging, with maybe some circuit training ( I know, I know but I'm a beginner) thrown in. I wish I could afford both, maybe one day but for right now it's one or the other
  • jeshhh
    jeshhh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The HRM should be more accurate because it is monitoring how hard you're working, while the Fitbit can only monitor movement. Having said that, the Fitbit does work well for activities involving whole body movement, but it's not as good for things like yoga or weightlifting where you aren't always moving that much.

This. I have an FT4 and the Fitbit Flex, and although it looks ridiculous, I just wear both during workouts!