Card night

Options
So, Friday is card night with the guys. I just started my weight loss. Ugh.

My plan is to eat light but well on Friday and build two beers into my MFP calorie plan. Skipping the munchies will be a chore, but must be done. Issue is, I can't blow it in the first week .....

Other ideas?

Replies

• gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Make Friday Nights your cheat night......Mine is always Saturday and it has served me well!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Can you bring some healthy snacks with you to munch on? Or some for the whole group? Veggie tray or fruit tray? IF you go over don't get discouraged. Just dust yourself back off and get back on it. Can you work out to balance out the calories you go over?
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Exercise more during the day to fit stuff in :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Plan for it, log it .. take a look at my diary. I have a few beers, couple glasses of wine, couple whiskeys from time to time. sure, sometimes I have a "the hell with it" night and end up over, but for the most part I make a couple drinks fit in when I want them.

ETA: Take a look at my diary, it's open. Yesterday's a good example of this ..
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If its poker, you're bound to play better if you abstain from alcohol completely but if you limit it to just a couple, that shouldnt interfere too much with anything you are trying to accomplish.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead for events like this are key to success! And here are a couple suggestions:

1. Exercise earlier in the day, maybe an extra long cardio/weight session
    2. Eat light during the day to make sure the couple beers will fit into your calories/macros for the day
    3. Bring some of your own snacks (make enough to share)
    4. Do NOT stress if you go over....

Remember this is a lifestyle change, you are NOT dieting. In life you have times when you will be going over, do NOT beat yourself up, just find ways to plan for these days when you can and enjoy the card night :drinker:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Try not to eat carbs during the day as you will most likely be having lots of snacks and/or alcohol that are carb heavy at night. Plan accordingly. Drink some tea or coffee as the caffeine will suppress your appetite during the day. Worst comes to worst you'll end up binging but don't worry as one day of carb overloading won't put on any excess fat if your weekly intake is consistent and your training is going well. Water weight will increase if you binge, but it will not be fat tissue.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Tough call, normally I'd say one night won't wreck anything (and it won't) but I understand wanting to stay true the first couple weeks. Eat as light as you can during the day, get in some exercise and maybe take a veggie tray with you, if there normally isn't one. Crunch on the fresh vegetables, but if you absolutely have to have some of the other snacks, eat small portions and enjoy them. Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up if you go over. Shake it off and move on!
  • sullus
    Options
    If its poker, you're bound to play better if you abstain from alcohol completely but if you limit it to just a couple, that shouldnt interfere too much with anything you are trying to accomplish.

I've always found there's a sweet spot for drinking and poker .. just enough to shorten some of those endless debates in your head (think vezzini and the man in black with the poison in the princess bride, but with poker terminology) .. but not enough to get stupid.
  • sullus
    Options
    Tough call, normally I'd say one night won't wreck anything (and it won't) but I understand wanting to stay true the first couple weeks. Eat as light as you can during the day, get in some exercise and maybe take a veggie tray with you, if there normally isn't one. Crunch on the fresh vegetables, but if you absolutely have to have some of the other snacks, eat small portions and enjoy them. Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up if you go over. Shake it off and move on!

This too. Don't forget that "over" is still probably under your TDEE .. so it's not really that you're going over, it's that you're just going less under.
  • sharylsim
    sharylsim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    WOW~!!! You have done awesome.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Maybe snack on nuts or a trail mix of some kind instead of chips and pretzels (or whatever guys eat, idk... lol)
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bring something to snack on that won't kill your day and still go with the beer. I like pretzel crisps when I want a salty snack. ma
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Good thoughts everyone! Am not taking a veggie tray ... tradition is the host provides. Will exercise, plan, and try to eat and drink wisely. (It is poker, btw). Thx!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Every Tuesday night I go out for a pub quiz and a few drinks/snacks with my family so first thing Tuesday morning I pre-log my beer and snacks so I know how many calories I have remaining.

Tuesday is also my high intensity cardio day so I can earn the calories to balance things out, it also works up a thirst of course. :drinker:
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner shortly before you go so that you aren't hungry when you get there. It makes it easier to resist the chips and means that you won't be drinking on a totally empty stomach.