how to carry personal protection when running?

Options

Replies

• inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxyrQwiK9YHqfdlJsP43EUHrc_JXsmqJ-5dpQYwRl9_OMpWepb

thunderwear1_201291142697.jpg

EE049.jpg

I own the first. Great shorts. Also have them in both colors... lol. Totally recommend them for conceal and carry. One of my favorite carry methods actually. Conceals pretty darn well which can be hard for us girls. I would NOT recommend running in them. It is a level 0 holster. I know diddly about bears but the general agreement on this thread seems to be that a hand gun will only piss off the bear ;/. Good knowledge for me to know if I ever have one chasing me...
  • phonepest
    phonepest Posts: 43
    Options
    Can't give much advice on carrying bear spray, but Dang, I'm scared of you! You got bit by a bear and you're still running??? Hat's off to ya!! Makes any of my excuses not to work out pale in comparison!
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    THUNDERWEAR!

http://www.thunderwear.com/

Or maybe a SmartCarry?

http://smartcarry.com/
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've seen hand held pepper sprays in pink pouches no less at hunting stores, cabella's and gander mountain

I carry pepper spray i bought it at a gun store its was called "runners spray" it is a small can like the size of a roll of quarters and it has and elastic band hand loop thing on it very comfortable to carry it.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I say if you're worried about bears you should just run on a treadmill lol.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Depending upon how the laws of where you live, you might be able to open carry a pistol in an ankle holster or some cops use something called thunderwear which is specially designed underwear for concealed carry. Again, please be certain you follow the laws of your state because you don't want to get jammed up by being charged with a crime.

I wanted to reiterate this, we're in a society that frowns on self help, so make sure you don't do anything to get jammed up, especially in some of the more control focused states like CA, MA, NYC.

I sometimes carry a gun because in Boston I was shown that it was needed for safety. (I no longer live there, thank god.) Well, out for a run just a hair outside of Boston in a rather busy area called Davis Square, I got hemmed into and knocked into a service hallway for a closed business by a couple huge guys. One had a brick, the other had a grin. They were going to have a little fun, so not wanting to feel left out. I looked at them both, smiled and said, "I'm in fear of my life, please don't kill me, I'm afraid." They were a bit confused until they saw I had pulled an LC380. They realized that there was a beer at the Burren with their names on it, and quickly made their retreat.

All that's hunky dory, but useless against a black bear, and laughable against a brown. Well, not useless in either case, you can use that round on yourself. The types of pistols that will carry a useful round against a bear are going to be extremely heavy, bulky, and low in capacity. My personal choice would be a glock 20. The types of pistols that can be concealed that will carry a useful round against a human will be more manageable.

Another poster mentioned that there were problems with attacks on women. For that, I'd suggest an LC9. A remora holster which is a pocket carry holster is a good idea, you can modify an amphipod belt with a little sewing, or you can look at belly bands. I also saw a decently intelligent thread on runnersworld that hadn't devolved to "OMG GUNS R BAD HERPA DERP", and was going over potential reasons or methods to carry. I would strongly suggest a lot of range time with a holster like that so you can get comfortable using it.

If your *only* concern is a bear, and you feel fully secure in your ability to protect yourself from a two legged attacker, then bear spray would be your most effective and comfortable choice. Keep in mind, those are huge canisters, heavy, and will take some getting used to.

Keep running.

Good post. :) Thanks for taking the time to comment.
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I hook my pocket knife to my sports bra that way its close to my arms if I need it and my uhem "twins" are pressed against it so it's snug. I tried the pocket method but it just falls out most times.
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    I carry pepper spray in my hand. I've got dog leashes to carry anyway and it's not very heavy. Pocketknife clipped to the inside of my sports bra.

If you run with a water belt, lots of those have zippered pockets for just that purpose! And for snacks.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The bells and bear spray sound like good choice (I would be way afraid of the bear and I'm guessing any spray that can take down a bear would be effective on humans, although I haven't looked it up).
    Yup, I only have to worry about hissing Geese along the canals!
    Yeah, the geese at the lake by my house are mean! (The ducks just jump in the lake or lay there and pay me no mind if they are feeling lazy)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    ok so this may be a strange question -- but does anyone carry personal protection when running, pepper spray or gun... where do you carry it so it doesn't flop around or get in your way???
    i just can't seem to find a way to carry anything that wont drive me absolutely nuts.

i haven't been running much the past couple weeks because my husband is getting home later so i would have to run at dusk, and i have been a little freaked out about that idea. -- now i am not worried about humans, my concern in my area is bears (and wolf). i don't run in a overly wooded area, but i have reason to be freaked out - as i got bit by a bear a year ago. and there have been several bear attacks in the news lately getting me re-freaked.

i really need to get back into my running routine, i have a 5k coming up soon. i do bring my dog with so that helps a little. or maybe i should run with the fear it might make me run faster (or turn around sooner)

I live in the UK so carrying pepper spray, mace or any weapon would not be allowed. Having said that, we don't have bears here.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You can run with a shoulder holster and a .357.

It might be a little uncomfortable at first, but good lord, BEARS!

I'm glad all I have to worry about are leering tourists and jellyfish.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I used to either tuck my buck knife in my waistband or in the back of my sports bra
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If your out away from people in bear country you could carry a 12 ga. shotgun loaded with rifled slugs at port arms. You'd get a good workout for your upper body too.

If you're in Canada there are short barreled shotguns available for bear defense, unfortunately they're not legal in the US.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    there are compression shorts with a built in holster. a shouldee holstdr is pretty.good.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I know diddly about bears but the general agreement on this thread seems to be that a hand gun will only piss off the bear ;/. Good knowledge for me to know if I ever have one chasing me...

It's a matter of power. Bears are heavy, hard, durable freight trains of potential fury. There are stories of bears being shot through the heart multiple times and still mauling people, only to crawl off and die later. (Browns) We're not talking a coward like a cougar, or something a little soft like a coyote or a man.

The bullet required for work like that is quite specialized and heavy. You'd need to carry a 10mm or larger round. For best effect, a shotgun, but that's not practical. So, that leaves bear spray as a good choice. For bipeds, in a concealable package, I think the 9mm is your best bet.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I know diddly about bears but the general agreement on this thread seems to be that a hand gun will only piss off the bear ;/. Good knowledge for me to know if I ever have one chasing me...

It's a matter of power. Bears are heavy, hard, durable freight trains of potential fury. There are stories of bears being shot through the heart multiple times and still mauling people, only to crawl off and die later. (Browns) We're not talking a coward like a cougar, or something a little soft like a coyote or a man.

The bullet required for work like that is quite specialized and heavy. You'd need to carry a 10mm or larger round. For best effect, a shotgun, but that's not practical. So, that leaves bear spray as a good choice. For bipeds, in a concealable package, I think the 9mm is your best bet.

Thx! Great info. I'm glad to hear that my 9mm Glock will do some damage if I need it. No bears here in TX that I'm aware of :). At least not on my run. Not that I run w my weapon. Just mace for the wild dogs or humans. Though I have recently heard about hog issues.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm surprized no one went this direction :wink:

dog-and-bear.jpg

Karelian Bear Dog....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Thx! Great info. I'm glad to hear that my 9mm Glock will do some damage if I need it. No bears here in TX that I'm aware of :). At least not on my run. Not that I run w my weapon. Just mace for the wild dogs or humans. Though I have recently heard about hog issues.

A 9mm might dissuade a black bear. Brown no. A human, it's effective enough for NATO. For a rampaging hog? I really don't know. Those are big heavy animals. The 9mm will keep you well though. :) I'm looking to get a new LC9 for riding and biking as a just in case. Just like keeping a 20 in your running shorts or on your bike. Better to have it and not need it.
  • wwhite72082
    wwhite72082 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ok so this may be a strange question -- but does anyone carry personal protection when running, pepper spray or gun... where do you carry it so it doesn't flop around or get in your way???
    i just can't seem to find a way to carry anything that wont drive me absolutely nuts.

I don't have to worry about bears while I'm out running but I do carry a gun. I carry a small Smith & Wesson Bodyguard (pocket pistol) in a Pistol Wear PT-One. Its fairly new to me but I'm happy with it so far. I could have gotten away with the PT-2 (it is smaller and meant for smaller guns) but I was worried that it might dig into my side while jogging.

The holster gets a bit warm and sweaty but it doesn't bounce around (I've never been able to feel the gun ride up inside the holster). Sweat doesn't seem to get through the holster as quickly as I expected. I'm not terribly worried about it though, worse case scenario is I send it back to Smith & Wesson due to rust (wouldn't be the first time).

I normally carry a Glock 19 but I don't know that I would use that in the PT-One. It just seems like it would be too heavy to be comfortable.

I also carry a Spyderco Delica 4 clipped to the Pistol Wear Holster. I haven't had an issue with the knife bouncing out either.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I agree with the gun comments. A comfortable gun, 9mm, .40 is going to need a lucky shot to down a bear.

So then you'll get eaten by the bear, and now there will be a bear with a 40 caliber running around hunting joggers. But I guess he has the right to bear arms.