Plantar Fasciitis - anyone able to exercise through it?

2»

Replies

• Ramoth48
    Ramoth48 Posts: 93 Member
    Don't know about the acupunture, but with regards to the sketchers Shape-Ups MOST DEFINATELY. I four about 4 years and it wasn't until a friend told me about them ( she has it too, and was advised by her G.P ) that things improved.After nearly 2 years wearing these trainers I've not had anymore problems and I can do Jillian Michaels workouts so they do work.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    :wink: I have suffered with this complaint ...on and off . But found if i wear my Asic gels ...( Walkers ) as much as possible helps to prevent the pain from recurring.
    When the pain is present they are inflamed.. Avoid walking up hills and stairs as this does aggravate the condition .:flowerforyou:
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    I have been suffering from PF for nearly 2-3 years now. Mornings are definitely painful but also sitting at my desk for longer hours make it worse. I use simple slippers at home and well cushioned shoes. I don't even look at fancy sandals anymore.

Today when I woke up I was limping but then I still went ahead with the jumping jacks and the pain subsided eventually. Every doc I went to suggested, calf stretches and soaking my feet in warm water twice everyday. Though it helped a bit but did not solve the problem.

One of my Doctor suggested laser treatment but I din't go through. For now I have just accepted it as a part of my life and I carry on doing everything that I'd have generally done.
  • I just recently with in the past few weeks came down with PF, so all of your comments GREATLY helped me also! I find that getting up on my foot and exercising helps it alot. When I am sitting for alittle while or especially when i get out of bed in the morning, I can't even walk on it, its so painful..I will try the stretches mentioned as far as the sketcher shape-ups...i had them and my problem actually started shortly after I stopped wearing them. NOW, I am also overweight, and have a torn ACL because of the acl thing I need to strenthen my hamstrings. So as far as the shoes, I dont know. I think all of that created this monster. If its not one thing its another I swear! Anyway thanks for the info! :)
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    I posted this in another PF thread...
    I had to deal with it when I first started my running routine, and it sucked. Went to a local shoe store that carried a foot doctor on staff and got some great advice. She said to either to stay completely off it for 2-3 weeks, or to follow these steps:

A) Take some ibuprofen the first couple of days (only) to help with the inflammation.

B) When you get out of bed in the morning, massage your foot / feet. Then put on slippers or regular shoes before getting up. What happens is that your feet heal themselves over night, and when you first get up and step onto a hard floor, it causes your feet to tear all over again. Doing damage to what had previously healed.

C) Fill an empty water bottle with water and freeze it. When you get up, take the frozen bottle and step on it, rolling your foot over it back and forth, applying a good amount of pressure while doing so. She said enough pressure that would be pretty discomfortable, but that you would still be able to talk on the phone without the other person knowing. Do this every three hours, for two weeks.

D) Stretch. Face a wall about 2-3 (or so) feet out. Lean to the wall bending one leg. Keep the other completely straight and the foot firmly on the ground. Hold for 10 seconds and release. Do it three to four times for each foot that is affected. And also, do every three to four hours for the two weeks. This also works really well with an 30-35 degree incline.

E) Stop wearing sandals / flip flops. At least for the two weeks. And even afterwards, ease back into wearing them.

I followed all of these steps, and I continued my running regiment during that time. After two weeks, I haven't had any more problems.

Best of luck.
  • Oh my goodness. I had it soooo bad. I got the shots both feet, heel area. Physical therapy. Wrapping. Started going to a yoga class at Triad Yoga in Greensboro. I told my instructor about the pain I had. He gave me two mats to stand on because the pain was so bad. Special stretches and in about. 3 months it was gone. Two years later still going to yoga and still no returning. Heel pain..thank goodness.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    i had same.. stretches the ice bottle good running shoes.. and hate to say it but started wearing crocs there are medical ones for PF..
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    So far you are doing everything right...Now you've got to stretch out those calf muscles. Leg raises are key! As we age, the muscles get weaker, and they don't support our bones. When we build them up they act like cushions. I started seeing a foot doctor at age 21 for this same problem. I'm almost 40 now. Yoga and Pilates have also helped me when I was in a lot of pain. For me, sitting around did make mine worse. Good Luck!

What do calf muscles have to do with plantar fasciitis? The pain is from the plantar fascia, the connective tissue on the sole (bottom surface) of the foot. It is often caused by overuse of the plantar fascia or arch tendon of the foot. Stretching the foot will help. Not calf raises.

To the OP: Don't try to 'fix' it yourself. It is not something to mess around with. My husband had it bad. He did the smart thing and went to a podiatrist and got the shots and was put on anti-inflamatories He got custom made orthodics fo his shoes. It took him over a year to get over it. Even now he can't run too much because it aggravates it. Sure you can continue walking but just know that might make it worse. When my husband had it he couldn't do the arc trainer -- which is zero impact -- because it caused his foot to hurt.
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    i had same.. stretches the ice bottle good running shoes.. and hate to say it but started wearing crocs there are medical ones for PF..

Ha. I went out and bought some "FitFlops". They look more work appropriate than the sandals I usually wear (black, leather, covered toe), but when my 5yo saw them she was excited that we both got to wear crocs together.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    I have PF now in my right foot and have had it since March. I was walking, exercising, cardio,etc and just dealing with the pain that would come after I stopped exercising and sat down for awhile (getting back up on it then was the worse and of course getting out of bed in the morning...I actually needed crutches for my first few minutes of steps).

I went to the doctor in mid-late April and he got me custom made ortotics for my althetic shoes (FYI..... these are super expensive so be prepared to pay for them if you insurance doesn't cover them, which mine didn't). He told me to wear appropriate shoes, not go barefoot (which I am dying to do), rest, ice, calf stretches, roll a tennis ball/water bottle under my foot to help and to wear a PF arch support sleeve when I was wearing shoes with not enough arch support in them. None of these things have helped "cure it" but they do make it feel better at the time.

He told me to quit exercising which I did for 5 weeks (praying that it went away in that amount of time, but it didn't). I have PCOS so the lack of exercise was causing weight gain and problems with this disease that I was not willing to put up with so, I decided I would just start walking again. I got a night brace for PF that makes a world of difference when I get up in the morning.....I can walk with very minimal pain....yeah!!!!! I have been walking again since June 1st (with the inserts) and I it slowly seeming to get better with less pain (after I am done walking and resting). It still hurts to wear heels and flat flip flops so I am staying away from the flip flops and taking my heels off as much as possible (when in my office and can hide my feet under my desk :)

I strongly recommend getting the nightbrace for it though as it has made a HUGE difference in getting out of bed in the morning!!! Good luck on finding something that works for you and eventually getting rid of it.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    bump
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    What do calf muscles have to do with plantar fasciitis? The pain is from the plantar fascia, the connective tissue on the sole (bottom surface) of the foot. It is often caused by overuse of the plantar fascia or arch tendon of the foot. Stretching the foot will help. Not calf raises.

According to my podiatrist, most people with PF have arch problems, leading to a stiff Achilles tendon. If your Achilles tendon is inflexible, your foot is forced to compensate when you walk, which leads to PF. This leads to a negative spiral (of pain!). By stretching out the calf, you stretch out the Achilles, easing the work load on your foot. I don't know if calf raises help, but calf dips help me. Stand with tip-toes on the edge of a chair, grabbing the back of chair with hands. Lower heels, stretching calves. Works for me!
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Had it real bad in my right foot for six months. Hurt like a mutha! Was able to do my work outs etc...would even feel better right after exercising but later on.... or if I had to get up in the middle of the night it was torturous!! Did ice, stretching, everything...my friends that had it said...."you got it for at least 6 months" and they were right. Finally worked itself out though. PS I got and still have Power Step inserts for my both running and regular shoes...they work great.
  • millerne
    millerne Posts: 17 Member
    I struggled with it, could hardly walk after doing 1-2k of my usual 6k run.

Managed to get through it with the old trick of being very rough rubbing/massaging my foot/rolling on a golf ball and got better footwear.

Good luck I know how tough this can be, if it can take down a giant like Albert Pujols mere mortals like me feel less daft struggling with it