Is it okay to eat egg whites every day?

Options
I know eating the whole egg is bad for you, but what about just the egg whites?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You can eat egg whites and/or whole eggs everyday. I'm not sure why you think whole eggs aren't healthy. They are.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes. In fact, for many people eating whole eggs every day is fine. For some cholesterol is an issue, but that is in the yolk, so you should be fine either way with the whites.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs are great for you. The only reason people normally worry about egg yolk is because it has fat in it. As long as this falls within your macro settings then not a problem.

I often eat egg whites but only added to whole eggs. i.e I will make scrambled eggs with one whole egg and two egg whites. I do this in order to increase my protein consumption without using too much of my fat allowance up. If I have been otherwise eating lean and the fat is available then whole eggs it is.

But as a general rule eggs are little packets of goodness.. yum yum!!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options

Eating whole eggs is not bad for you, most of the benefits are in the yolk.

It is time this myth was dispersed.
  • Chaosrose8
    Chaosrose8 Posts: 39
    Options
    I eat 1 whole egg plus 3 tablespoons of egg whites pretty much every day. I think egg whites alone have no flavor.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Eating whole eggs is not bad for you, most of the benefits are in the yolk.

It is time this myth was dispersed.

LOL, I think you mean "dispelled", not "disbursed". To disburse it would mean to spread it further. :ohwell:

Totally right though. Dietary cholesterol has a very VERY limited impact on blood cholesterol. An exerpt from "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers" explains the misinformation regarding dietary cholesterol and cardiovascular disease;

"With the chronic increase in blood pressure that accompanies repeated stress, damage begins to occur at branch points
    in arteries throughout the body. The smooth inner lining of the vessel begins to tear or form little craters of damage.
    Once this layer is damaged, you get an inflammatory response—cells of the immune system that mediate
    inflammation aggregate at the injured site. Moreover, cells full of fatty nutrients, called foam cells, begin to form
    there, too. In addition, during stress the sympathetic nervous system makes your blood more viscous. Specifically,
    epinephrine makes circulating platelets (a type of blood cell that promotes clotting) more likely to clump together, and
    these clumped platelets can get gummed up in these aggregates as well. As we'll see in the next chapter, during stress
    you're mobilizing energy into the bloodstream, including fat, glucose, and the "bad" type of cholesterol, and these can
    also add to the aggregate. All sorts of fibrous gunk builds up there, too. You've now made yourself an atherosclerotic
    plaque.
    Therefore, stress can promote plaque formation by increasing the odds of blood vessels being damaged and inflamed,
    and by increasing the likelihood that circulating crud (platelets, fat, cholesterol, and so on) sticks to those inflamed
    injury sites. For years, clinicians have tried to get a sense of someone's risk of cardiovascular disease by measuring
    how much of one particular type of crud there is in the bloodstream. This is, of course, cholesterol, leading to such a
    skittishness about cholesterol that the egg industry has to urge us to give their cholesterol-filled products a break. High
    levels of cholesterol, particularly of "bad" cholesterol, certainly increase the risk for cardiovascular disease. But
    they're not a great predictor; a surprising number of folks can tolerate high levels of bad cholesterol without
    cardiovascular consequences, and only about half of heart attack victims have elevated cholesterol levels.
    In the last few years, it is becoming clear that the amount of damaged, inflamed blood vessels is a better predictor of
    cardiovascular trouble than is the amount of circulating crud. This makes sense, in that you can eat eleventy eggs a
    day and have no worries in the atherosclerosis realm if there are no damaged vessels for crud to stick to; conversely,
    plaques can be forming even amid "healthy" levels of cholesterol, if there is enough vascular damage."
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Eating anything every day increases the risk of developing food sensitivities. Try to rotate food items. Instead of eggs, how about a can of tuna or sardines? Low-fat Greek plain yogurt with fruit and a little honey? Canned beans? If you think about it, there are lots of easy fast alternatives, and the more varied a diet, the better the micronutrient balance.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Eggs are highly nutritious. Eating whole eggs is NOT bad for you!!! Eat eggs and enjoy them.
  • Pace29
    Pace29 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i eat whole eggs every day . Def ok to eat it everyday.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with eating a whole egg. Ounce for ounce, the incredible edible egg is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet...most of those nutrients are in the yolk. The idea that dietary cholesterol has any bearing on blood level serum was debunked long ago. Our bodies produce so much more cholesterol naturally that pretty much any dietary cholesterol you get is a drop in the bucket...akin to dropping a dollar bill in a vault filled with millions of $$$.

I started all of this good livin' due to some really bad blood work, including soaring LDL and very low HDL cholesterol. My HDL is now way up and my LDL is in the healthy range and well below the borderline; I egg two whole eggs every single day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eating whole eggs is not a problem for many, perhaps most, people. But it is false to say that it is safe for everyone. Dietary cholesterol as little affect on blood cholesterol for most people, but for some otherwise healthy people it causes a significant rise in blood cholesterol. And with certain diseases, keeping dietary cholesterol low can be beneficial.