Nights out and alcohol!

Options
I'm interested in knowing how people factor in nights out/alcohol into their diet/lifestyle? Do you plan ahead, eat at a bigger deficit than usual that week so that you can enjoy your night out without having to pay much attention to calories? Do you just try to be conservative with your alcohol intake on the night? Or do you just throw caution to the wind and go for a big blow out, and then get back on track the next day?

I've been limiting my alcohol consumption since I've started losing weight (alcohol was a major factor in my weight gain - I succumbed quite willingly to the binge drinking student culture at uni) so it made sense to give my body a break. I'm going on my first night out in a long time this weekend and, whilst I know that I will be more conscious of how much I'm drinking, I know that I will still drink a fair bit. I always stick to vodka and diet coke, so it's probably one of the 'better' options where calories are concerned... But I know that I'll drink the majority of my daily calorie limit. I'm not going to beat myself up about one night, I feel like I deserve a wee night out, but I'd still like to stay on track with my weightloss for the week if I can.

Only having a few drinks isn't really an option for me - lovely social anxiety issues :p and once I've had a few it's so easy just to convince myself to have a few more... And a few more... :p

So how do you personally contend with nights out? I can't decide what option would be best for me, so any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    There's 64 calories in one once of vodka. I can't see your diary so I don't know what your calorie goal is for a day, but if it's set at 1200 calories you would have to drink almost 19 drinks to go over 1200 calories. If your going to have 5 or 6 drinks that's 384 calories so you're not going to be too much over. You have to live so go out and have fun!
  • cathmaow
    cathmaow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to have a deficit week and usually go out Friday and Saturday. I can usually keep it to two or three glasses of wine or two beers though.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Only having a few drinks isn't really an option for me

Probably want to deal with this issue. More important than calories.
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    There's 64 calories in one once of vodka. I can't see your diary so I don't know what your calorie goal is for a day, but if it's set at 1200 calories you would have to drink almost 19 drinks to go over 1200 calories. If your going to have 5 or 6 drinks that's 384 calories so you're not going to be too much over. You have to live so go out and have fun!

At the moment my daily calorie intake is 1300-400. I know it sounds bad, but 19 drinks is less than what I'd usually consume on a night out, which is why I'm so worried about it affecting my weight loss for the week! :/
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If I'm only going to have one or two drinks, I don't worry about it. If I want to have more than that, I try to plan ahead and eat less.

Also, I exercise every day, so I find that I don't want to drink excessively very often, since working out with a hangover sucks. That's good motivation to keep it moderate.
  • NadineSabbagh
    Options

I mean on 'big' nights out when everyone is drinking, dancing etc. I'm perfectly ok with only having a few drinks if I'm just out for a social lunchtime thing, and I'm fine with drinking nothing at all. It's purely on these nights out that I feel uncomfortable if I've only had a few drinks.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

I mean on 'big' nights out when everyone is drinking, dancing etc. I'm perfectly ok with only having a few drinks if I'm just out for a social lunchtime thing, and I'm fine with drinking nothing at all. It's purely on these nights out that I feel uncomfortable if I've only had a few drinks.

this isnt AA..
    go out and have fun....(although 19 drinks is kind of a lot?????)
    vodka is my friend. why not take the 'on the go' packs of crystal light and ask for a shot of vodka plus a glass of water - add the crystal light then add the vodka and voila - instant semi healthy drink????
    (edited for spelling)
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    .. you drink MORE than 19 drinks on a "big" night out? yeah i think you need to focus on that right there before you worry about the calorie content of 19+ drinks!
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

At the moment my daily calorie intake is 1300-400. I know it sounds bad, but 19 drinks is less than what I'd usually consume on a night out, which is why I'm so worried about it affecting my weight loss for the week! :/

Okay so i like my drinks as well, but OVER 19 i dont' think is something you can plan for. You're still in the binge drinking category if you go that high. You need to learn to enjoy a glass of wine and not drink with the purpose of fitting in or getting drunk!
  • Kerilynnda
    Kerilynnda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am huge fan of captain morgan and diet coke - which the calories aren't that much. (not compared to beer - or my old favorite vodka redbull) When i am trying to not drink as much - i will either use a smaller straw or no straw at all, i notice that i tend to drink slower, which in result = less drinks. Seriously though, 19 drinks?! I love to drink, but after 19 drinks i think i would be rushed to some sort of hospital...
  • foxylady522
    Options
    If I'm going out and I know alcohol will be there I plan to have a deficit throughout the week and I also get in a good work out the morning of a night out. I don't ever drink that much but that way I don't feel so guilty for eating dinner out or having a drink or two.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    .. you drink MORE than 19 drinks on a "big" night out? yeah i think you need to focus on that right there before you worry about the calorie content of 19+ drinks!

Pretty much sums up my thoughts!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a huge inhibitor to weight loss, that said I love a good cocktail. So much that i have a bar in my home, that said i try to keep my drinking to one or two nights a week. I try to get a big calorie burn at the gym or the treadmill on any day i plan on tipping a few.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

You drink MORE than 19 drinks???? I would try to look at why you drink to such excess. This is completely unhealthy and not sure how often you do it, dangerous. Maybe you need to limit yourself. This sounds totally out of control.
  • aprilkats
    aprilkats Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    More than 19 drinks? There's no way, you'd die!
    Drink things that take longer to get down, like a dry wine or a strong beer. That way, you'll drink less overall, reduce calorie intake, and still always have a drink in your hands.
  • NadineSabbagh
    Options
    I'm sure I'm not the first person to have had a lot to drink on nights out. I don't want this to turn into a post where people judge or criticise me for my alcohol intake. I drink once in a blue moon nowadays. I'm aware that I drink a lot occasionally. To be honest, the 'over 19 drinks' was probably the old me - I haven't been out much since my binge drinking days as a student, so perhaps I'm still assuming I'm that person. I might find that I'm content with less alcohol nowadays, I don't know yet what will happen! Please can you not judge, I was just looking for some friendly advice on how people factor in alcohol to their lifestyle :/
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Not judging at all-but 19 vodkas? I have done some serious drinking in my life, but this has alcohol poisoning written all over it. Be careful-especially if you haven't drank in a while!

Try to alternate a drink with a big glass of water. If you are dancing you'll need the hydration, plus you won't feel like @$$ the next day and binge eat to make your hangover better.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    You know it's amateur night when someone starts ordering 19 vodka and cokes.......
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't go out every weekend, and when I do go out I just enjoy it, or else it's no fun. No one wants to help me add up my calories on a cocktail napkin. If my night out included biscuits and gravy at the end of it or I know I got down on a chip and dip display, I will probably add some extra time to my workout in the following days, but generally I'm not that obsessed about it.
  • michellechawner
    Options

Pretty much sums up my thoughts!

^^ um, OP, seek help. And fast. If you are drinking that much you have an issue.

But in regards to how I fit it in - i still have wine at least once a week - i workout harder so I earn it. IT fits perfectly and if it doesn't, I don't order it.