How's this for a Kettlebell Workout (Beginner Level)?

Options
I have never done a Kettlebell workout before, but my gym has a set (starting at 6lbs). I want to start working with them. Does this workout seem reasonable - for a beginner..? I am close to 300 lbs...and have just been doing walking and swimming - with no strength training up to this point in my journey.

(Please disregard all the hype about "burning 20 calories per minute!" - i don't care about that stuff)

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/kettlebell-workout-burn-20-calories-minute

I just want someone to tab thru the exercises and let me know if they seem reasonable to someone who is familiar with kettlebells.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am no expert by any means, but I have been training with kettlebells with a certified kettlebell trainer for about 2 years. Those are pretty basic moves, although you may struggle with the single leg deadlift, suitcase carry, and OH press at first (first two just because balance is tricky, and the OH press is hard for me at least, depending on the size of KB you are using) But please make sure to watch videos (NOT Jillian or Bob Harper) about form before starting. Without proper form, injury is very easy when doing KB work. They are fun to work with and really have helped me build my strength routine- good luck!
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Those are pretty basic moves, although you may struggle with the single leg deadlift, suitcase carry, and OH press at first (first two just because balance is tricky, and the OH press is hard for me at least, depending on the size of KB you are using) But please make sure to watch videos (NOT Jillian or Bob Harper) about form before starting. Without proper form, injury is very easy when doing KB work.

Thanks much for the great advice. I struggle with balance, and I imagined that single leg deadlift would be problematic for me. I have already watched videos on form (can't remember the name)...so i hope to be able to do it injury-free. Glad to know you had fun with them and it helped build your strength!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yep, looks good to me - as the other poster said, just be really good on form, cause bad form and kettlebells = injury...
    Angie Millar has a really good kettlebell dvd with lots of tips on form - got mine on amazon...
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am basically a beginner myself, but am finding the kettlebell workouts to be fun, and fairly challenging. This is the one I use

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/kettlebell-workout

I am about 213lbs and on supplemental oxygen 24/7 and while they do make me sweat and huff and puff, that's kind of the point, eh? And I have yet to injure myself. Just like the previous post said, watch your form.

Good luck!!!!
  • jennyrebekka
    Options
    Hi! I am basically a beginner myself, but am finding the kettlebell workouts to be fun, and fairly challenging. This is the one I use

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/kettlebell-workout

thanks! that "half get up" one looks brutal!
  • jennyrebekka
    Options
    Yep, looks good to me - as the other poster said, just be really good on form, cause bad form and kettlebells = injury...
    Angie Millar has a really good kettlebell dvd with lots of tips on form - got mine on amazon...

thanks much...i will check hers out - - and will be sure and watch my form....would be good to have a personal trainer around, but can't afford it at this time. you guys will just have to suffice for now! lol
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are an amazing tool, and I credit them for a lot of my success.

All of the lifts in that workout are good, although I have never seen a press like that. Use a lighter weight and do one-arm presses. Neghar Fonooni and Marianne Kane have great YouTube channels full of kettlebell stuff.

Kettlebell swings are outstanding for high-intensity cardio, but you need a heavier weight for those than you'd use for presses. I think you could probably use the same kettlebell for swings, goblet squats, rows, carries, and single-leg deadlifts.

As the others have said, form is critical, especially on kettlebell swings. Keep a neutral spine at all times, and remember that the movement comes from your hips and glutes, not your upper body.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I've done the moves pictured in your link while doing other exercise programs. They look pretty good, just be careful. There is also a kettlebell inspired workout by Denise Austin that I like, its on her 3 Week Body Bootcamp DVD http://www.amazon.com/Week-Body-Bootcamp-Denise-Austin/dp/B002OMIKMM/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_z/177-8782726-2527207
    That's the Amazon link, but I found it at my local library and can check it out for 2 weeks, for free:) They don't even use kettlebells on the video, just hand weights, and it is effective with 3lbs. You could even use soup cans or water bottles if you don't have weights at home.
  • jennyrebekka
    Options
    All of the lifts in that workout are good, although I have never seen a press like that. Use a lighter weight and do one-arm presses. Neghar Fonooni and Marianne Kane have great YouTube channels full of kettlebell stuff.
    Keep a neutral spine at all times, and remember that the movement comes from your hips and glutes, not your upper body.

Thanks - glad to know they've helped you with what seems to be AMAZING success! wow.

I checked out Neghar Fonooni - she is incredible...very strong....and great form. Thanks for the tip. It seems like it would be easy to get tired and start using upper body.....so i will have to remember that tip for sure.
  • jennyrebekka
    Options
    There is also a kettlebell inspired workout by Denise Austin that I like, its on her 3 Week Body Bootcamp DVD.
    That's the Amazon link, but I found it at my local library and can check it out for 2 weeks, for free:) They don't even use kettlebells on the video, just hand weights, and it is effective with 3lbs. You could even use soup cans or water bottles if you don't have weights at home.

thanks for the money-saving tips too....i can definitely appreciate that!
  • FrOgLoVeR40
    Options
    i'm doing the kettleworx 6 week body transformation. I'm on like my 4th 6 weeks....because i need lots of transforming!! I LOVE kettleworx....it has been the only thing i've been able to stick with. It totally changes the shape of your body. Especially thru my midsection. 20 mn a day/3 times a week. I can do that! I started with a 5 pound kettlebell and now i'm at an 8. For now that's all i can handle
  • jennyrebekka
    Options
    i'm doing the kettleworx 6 week body transformation. I'm on like my 4th 6 weeks....because i need lots of transforming!! I LOVE kettleworx....it has been the only thing i've been able to stick with. It totally changes the shape of your body. Especially thru my midsection. 20 mn a day/3 times a week. I can do that! I started with a 5 pound kettlebell and now i'm at an 8. For now that's all i can handle

thanks - awesome to hear that you are seeing such great results in just 20 mins a day/3 times a week!
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    posting to read later :)
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    All of this info is fantastic! I have a 10lb kettlebell here at home and now I want to see if out library has those DVDs! May have to make a run there tomorrow!
  • jennyrebekka
    Options
    UPDATE: Did the kettlebell workout..with minor adjustments. I actually felt winded after just 10 reps of the squatting one. I didn't do the swing one because that one looks like it has the most potential for damage if done wrong. But did all the rest 10 reps.....did 3 sets.....and was tired afterward!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    hiyah fitness blender.com has a few kettlebell routines.
    the first one i did was.http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Beginner-Kettlebell-Workout-Kells-Kettlebells-Routine/a7/
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are awesome for fat burning circuits, and yes the routine you linked is a pretty standard good one. Main thing is to do the exercises as quickly a possible using heavy weight, with minimal rest, concentrate on form, and the fat will melt off.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    All of this info is fantastic! I have a 10lb kettlebell here at home and now I want to see if out library has those DVDs! May have to make a run there tomorrow!

No need to buy videos, just look on you tube!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are a great way to change things up a bit. I have Paul Katami's Ultimate Kettlebell for Beginners. I have a 7 and 10 lb bell. I quickly outgrew both, and the dvd. But I still go back to it from time to time for some variety.
  • jennyrebekka
    Options
    Kettlebells are awesome for fat burning circuits, and yes the routine you linked is a pretty standard good one. Main thing is to do the exercises as quickly a possible using heavy weight, with minimal rest, concentrate on form, and the fat will melt off.

thanks - - i will keep those tips in mind. Since this was my first time ever and without anyone there to watch and correct my form, i went very light weight (6 lbs) and did the exercises rather slowly....just to make sure the form was good. But hopefully i will get up to speed soon enough!