ENCOURAGEMENT NEEDED!!

Options
I'm in a house full of brownie eaters!!! It's my nieces birthday so the house is packed with family, friends and a whole lot of junk food! I'm really trying to stay strong and avoid the temptations, but it is hard!!! Any supportive words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated! I know most people have been in this situation a time or two.

Replies

• Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Just remember your goals and ask yourself is it worth one day of junk food??? Hang in there. . .it's tough but you can do it!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water! Also, if you're at your own house, nibble on healthy snacks - carrots, celery, an apple, etc - If you have a glass of water or some veggies in your hands you'll be less likely to start munching on the goodies. I know in those kind of situations I'll start picking at the food when I'm bored.

It also would be okay to allow yourself a small goodie - one brownie, or a small piece of cake or something like that. As long as you can have a little and stop, it's okay to indulge every now and then. I couldn't go the rest of my life without eating something like this occasionally, so when it's a special occasion, I allow myself to have a treat, but I try to either fit it in to my plan for the day or I go to the gym in the evening and work it off.

Good luck!
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You can get through today, Think of how the carbs in all the junk-food would turn into fat on your body, if you're making a step forward for health, stay strong. And Accoutant is right drink water, and find something healthy to eat there. You're also really brave for reaching out for support. I've been where you are, I gave in and kind of beat myself up worse afterwards if I hadn't ever given into temptation in the first place.
  • dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    Nothing worse than feeling you can't have something. That makes you just think about it more than ever! I say, not very often, go ahead and havve just an itty bitty taste. That way you do not think about what you missed out on for the entire day. Follow tht by eating a pickle. Nothing sweet would even taste good after a pickle! lol Also, get things like the little microwave-able brownie things to eat from time to time. They are 100 calories and actually are alittle too much sweet once you start it. Or, try skinnycow ice cream, they are great to eat from time to time. If you try to take something out of your diet that you love. The fact the you know you can not ever have it will make it harder to do and you will be in trouble. Just know that you can have a little bit from time to time. After all, your not going to give up sweets for the rest of your life are you? Remember it is a life style. If you do it as a 'diet' you will gain it all back, so go ahead and have a little.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Feeling deprived is the fastest way, at least for me, to want to give up. What I do in this situation is allow myself 1/2 or 1/4 of a brownie if I really want one. I can then factor in the calories from that into my daily calorie budget. The bottom line is that if you deny yourself every little treat and every single "fattening" thing you're going to get really frustrated, feel deprived all the time, and want to just throw in the towel. Better to just have a little and not fret about it. After all - this is a lifestyle change. You're going to be eating healthy for the rest of your life, and a life of depriving yourself of everything that may be fattening isn't going to be that fun. Just find your balance. Where as before you may have had 2, now just have 1/2 or so. And I promise, it does get easier. After a while you won't even crave the really fattening stuff anymore. Cupcakes used to be my favorite "food" in the world, I LOVED them, but after not having sugary foods for months I went to "treat" myself with a cupcake and it felt like someone was smacking me in the face with a bag of sugar. It burned my throat with it's over-sweetness and I couldn't even finish it. Much to my shock I no longer even like cupcakes ...and they used to be my FAVORITE! So yeah, it totally gets easier. :)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Imagine the other half of the room is full of us, your friends in weight loss. None of us want/need a brownie. We are all laughing and smiling and eating anymore will just make us miserable. In fact, eating it will just make us take a step in the backward direction. We dont want that, do you? We are looking at you to keep us strong too ;)
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I agree with Stacy just eat 1/4 of a brownie if there is no other way you can see yourself getting around it. When we deprive ourselves sometimes we just eat more. That's what I used to do. Then you get in the mindset since I blew it I might as well eat more. You don't want to go there. Just be careful. Try to stay busy, drink lots of water. If they are family tell them all to help you stay away from the brownies. Good Luck. I feel your brownie pain. I am a die hard chocaholic.:laugh:
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I think you should avoid it because it sounds like you want to eat them just because they are there (my HUGE problem). You will feel so much better if you just stay away! get your hands on some almonds!!! Mr. Oz claims if you eat a serving of almonds or walnuts 30 minutes before a meal it acts like a natural appeitite suppresent (sp) !

Just think of how sick you will feel with all that junk in your body after going so long on healthy foods only... It's not worth it!!
  • oxokatieoxo
    Options
    This is disgusting but it always works for me, google 1 pound of human fat and click images, theres a picture with this pile of fat and its taller than a coffee mug :sick: gross but desperate needs call for desperate measures! Stay strong!! x
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    A suggestion I read here on MFP a while ago: take one, eat one or two bites, while you are chewing, sprinkle tobasco sauce on the rest. (Just make sure none of the kids get ahold of it!)
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Think of this as a game, or reality show. People are watching to see how serious your commitment is, and if this lifestyle change is for real. Who knows there may be a $$million dollar reward at the end of the day.
    If I am going to a party, I stuff myself full of raw fruit and vegetable befor I go then I can have some lean protein appys when there. By then you are satisfied but able to taste something new.
    Play the game, enjoy the journey.
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change. It's also a special day. Understand that as you celebrate ONE day it's not gonna derail you. You have to figure out how to live life too.... SO have a bite or two of two or three things or all of a serving of that special something. If you are like me then in the past you ate and ate... One brownie was just the start, Three was better. So enjoy something that will not make you feel deprived... Send all the junk home with everybody else and then realistically celebrate the fact that you STOPPED. That you did better than you would have in the past. Celebrate the CHANGE in your life, that you thought about it, ate something small and then didn't binge.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    ugg, I took that suggestion of googling a pound of fat, that works, I'm disgusted. There was an educational picture there, there was a pound of fat next to a pound of muscle and the muscle was stronger. So even if you are not losing weight but replacing muscle with fat, you are getting smaller. That's encouraging. I don't mind a straight over switch.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    ugg, I took that suggestion of googling a pound of fat, that works, I'm disgusted. There was an educational picture there, there was a pound of fat next to a pound of muscle and the muscle was stronger. So even if you are not losing weight but replacing muscle with fat, you are getting smaller. That's encouraging. I don't mind a straight over switch.

I did too. WOW!

AVOID THE BROWNIES!!!
  • OnieBee
    OnieBee Posts: 67
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! I'm currently ready the suggestions as the brownies are being past out and I truly feel inspired to not give in! I do allow myself some indulgences from time to time, but I have a huge goal coming up the first part of September and I don't want this day to prevent me from obtaining it!

It is awesome having such a wonderful sight full of supportive friends who are all striving for the same goal... A healthier life!
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    That is great OnieBee!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    April 14, 2010 SW 303
    CW 245
    9/7 (30th b-day) 235
    Christmas 200
    Start 2011 in the onderlands!!
    Goal Weight 125-135 to be reached the end of 2011

The best encouragement I ever had was my goals!!

Thanks for reminding me. I am going to sit down and reset my goals right now.

Oh and step a wayyyyyyyyyyyy from the brownie :wink: