Help with bacon stats please.

Options
2»

Replies

• bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I weigh my bacon after it's cooked, and go by the "per gram" on the label.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Precooked bacon has less calorie content because they cook it until it's pretty much not even bacon anymore (I HATE crispy bacon) and there's not as much fat content left.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Love this question. The bacon i buy from Costco is 290 for two slices. But that's not cooked. I can't find anywhere what it would be with the fat drained off. I see a ton of friends listing 4 slices of bacon for around 120. I too can't see that its possible.

If you weigh it before cooking and then weigh it afterward, you'd get an idea of the calories of the lean meat. So if 2 slices of uncooked bacon weighs 60 grams (~2 ounces--just making up a number) and those same slices cooked weigh 16.5 grams (about 27% of uncooked weight--again making up a number, but cooked bacon doesn't weigh much), then the total calories for those slices of bacon cooked would be about 80 calories.

Thank you - didn't even occur to me to weigh them. I see more bacon in my future ;):flowerforyou:

The calories in cooked bacon was one of my happiest MFP discoveries.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    could be that they cut the bacon in half and count that as a slice
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon is 60 cals per 2 slices :wink:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    <---- Black Label brand bacon is my favorite. The center cut has like 80 calories for 2 slices.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    <---- Black Label brand bacon is my favorite. The center cut has like 80 calories for 2 slices.

This.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I use Oscar Meyer center cut bacon and it is 70 calories for 3 slices per the package. I also cook mine in the microwave to drain the grease off.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I weigh my bacon after it's cooked, and go by the "per gram" on the label.

Even easier than my suggestion of weighing uncooked then cooked. You just need to know what the nutrition info on the package is referring to (uncooked vs. cooked).
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love you guys! ;) so my two slices of bacon at 69g was coming in at 295 calories. Cooked it was 22g at 105 calories (approx).
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon is 60 cals per 2 slices :wink:

This and also try Coleman Natural Uncured Hickory Smoked Bacon...we eat a ton of both in my family. I think Applegate has less fat to begin with but haven't really compared the labels...just notice that I have to pour off much less fat with Applegate.