Headphones or no headphones, that is the question

Options
2»

Replies

• mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I did my half with them..but I took them out at certain points to chat with the people I was running with. Check the rules first though because some races dont allow headphones as a safety precaution. Good luck!!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Last year was supposed to be the first half-marathon I ever ran with them and I left my iPod in the hotel room. But I was fine with that because then I could chat with other people running the same pace as me (hey when you're two goals are to run the whole way and finish under three hours, you can chit chat). I'll probably still train this summer with my headphones but I do enjoy not having them in for race day :-)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, do you know why they banned headphones? It seems odd to me that they would do that.
    For a while it was in the USATF rules that you could not run with headphones because of the concern they could be used for coaching on course. That rule was changed a 2-3 years ago but there are races out there that continue to enforce the rule.

If am I going to a race were I intend to run hard and try to set a PR I will wear headphones. If it is going to be a more relaxed atmosphere I will go without.

TC Marathon also called them a "safety issue"
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You will go crazy without headphones.

I quit running the TC Marathon because they didn't allow headphones.

They're allowed, just strongly discouraged, in the TC Marathon. https://www.tcmevents.org/events/medtronic_twin_cities_marathon_weekend/marathon/race_information/

This is what my race website says:

At its annual meeting in December 2008, USA Track & Field (USATF) amended rule 144.3(f) effectively lifting its previously imposed ban on headphones and other similar devices on USATF-certified courses. Because of this change, participants will be able to use headphones and similar devices during Grandma's Marathon, the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon and William A. Irvin 5K, but they do so at their own risk.

I know they allow them again, as stated above.

It's up to you, but I would get bored and slow down without them.

We were typing at the same time. You're a little bit like Goldilocks when it comes to races, eh? The Grandma's course is too boring, TC Marathon stopped allowing headphones for a little while... :P
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I always bring my headphones and iPod with me when I race, but I don't always use them.

I try to run at least the first half without music, to talk to folks around me, the spectators, and to take in the race, and then, if I need them, I'll put the headphones in.
  • seif0068
    Options
    I always bring my headphones and iPod with me when I race, but I don't always use them.

I try to run at least the first half without music, to talk to folks around me, the spectators, and to take in the race, and then, if I need them, I'll put the headphones in.

That's a good idea, I was thinking of the opposite - starting with, and then removing. Hadn't thought of doing it the other way around!
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to music when I run or work out, but during training I always listened to Howard Stern. Anyhow, on race day I didn't listen to anything. It's just so fun to hear the crowd cheering, talk to people here and there and just really take in the whole experience. I also ran the Rock n Roll HM though, so there were bands about every mile on the course. Like someone else said, I'd bring them just incase!
  • seif0068
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone!
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Advice, ye good people of MFP!

I am running my first half marathon on Saturday (EEK!!!) and can't decide whether to listen to music. I have an iPod shuffle and Yurbuds that I have used for basically every run during my training. On the one hand, they say not to try anything new on race day so I feel like I should have my music. On the other hand, I've heard a lot of people say the race is more enjoyable without music; plus, while the Yurbuds are pretty good, they can sometimes drive me bonkers and I spend my whole run fiddling with them (or giving up entirely and yanking them out).

I think I am leaning towards going without them so I am not distracted by sweaty falling out or painful earbuds and I can hear all the cheers I am sure to garner with my custom t-shirt that says "It's my birthday and I'll run 13.1 miles if I want to!" :D (I turn 29 on race day).

I appreciate advice from folks who have done long races before, thanks in advance!

I usually like to listen to something just to tune everything else out around me..i use IE2 earbuds as those are the only things i've found that will stay in my ear while im active..the sound quality is a little lacking for the price though.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I rock out with a pair of Rocketfish Bluetooth headphones so I'm not futzing around with a cord. They also have buttons on them which are handy so I don't have to mess around with my smartphone screen. You might want to check with the coordinators about headphones too, but unless you're planning on placing I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I thought almost all races have the headphones "ban" for insurance purposes. I didn't think it was actually enforced.

I always wear headphones. I will sometimes mute or pause the music when I pass a band or want to slap the hand of a child. But I like my music and I don't feel it negatively affects my experience of the race.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    One of the big reasons I have headphones is because MapMyRun updates me as to how long/far/fast I've been running. It's not loud and sometimes I don't also listen to music but I need the feedback from the App