Alternating Deads and Squats on the same day

Options
I squat and dead on the same day. Yeah, not the greatest for getting your best numbers but I know this.

If I go heavy on squats, then I notice my dead numbers suffer. I imagine it would be the same if I did deads first. (my squat would suffer).

I tend to do squats first as IMHO, a core that's tired has more tendency to cause injury. So the question is this.

Would it work if I did heavy deads / squats every other week? If I wanted to go heavy on squats, then that week I go light on deads. If I want to heavy on deads, that week, I go light on squats. But I'd do squats first either way.

Or I could do the heavy exercise first and go light on the other.

Doing them on different days is sort of interferes with my other exercise schedule so I do them both on the same day. Up to now, it wasn't a problem. But my squats are at/over 300 and my deads are around 335 so it's getting heavy for me now

Replies

• OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I do my deadlifts on back day.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I superset chest and back one day before squat day. Man that would also be a killer workout
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yes, that would be! My chest, shoulder and back are separate days. I combine ab's with both, along with cardio. No cardio on my two legs days.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Must be a tough question
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Why not do an ABA schedule..... Im not sure of your frequency of training. The words "interferes with my other exercise schedule" worries me. I hope you mean sports you play. For the love of God, please dont tell me your training for a marathon and a PL meet simultaneously. :P

What is your exact program you follow?
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You either:
    Put deads on your back day and leave 2-3days inbetween your squats
    Go light on deads after heavy squats, then the following week go lighter on squats and go heavy on deads.
    Or go heavy on both :)

Your body will adapt to it. If you can't go heavy on deads after squats you need to bring it up. Powerlifters have to do it in comp like this :P

Koing
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Other exercises means other sports. Not training for any marathons here.

Going heavy on deads after squats is different than at a power liifting meet. I should know, I used to do power lift. At a meet, you do very mininmal sets just to warm up and to get used to the weights. That's different than leg day where you are doing volumes or trying to gain strength.

I've been going heavy on both for 3 years. But at this point, the lifts are getting too heavy and are compromising whatever lift I do after.

So that's the reason for asking if alternating heavy every other week might be a good idea,

I guess I could try splitting them. I'd have to totally have to re-arrange my lifting program. Not necessarily a bad thing.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    bump
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I squat and deadlift heavy on the same day. I use to think this was bad practice but it works for me. The key is to ramp up your weight on the deadlift. For example if you can deadlift 350x5 then your sets may look something like this:
    225x5
    275x5
    325x5
    350x5

Always do deads after squats.
    If you think about it, during powerlifting competitions competitors squat and deadlift the same day.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I have been but I feel it's hurting my numbers at this point. But so far, my numbers have been going up. Abeit slowly.

I don't do a whole lot of other leg/back stuff on this day though.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    I have been but I feel it's hurting my numbers at this point. But so far, my numbers have been going up. Abeit slowly.

You could alternate squats and deads every two weeks or so. What is your current split?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

You could alternate squats and deads every two weeks or so. What is your current split?

I was actually asking if I should do heavy squat / light deads one week and then light squat / heavy deads the next week.

Bench / back / light cardio

squat / shoulder press
    Dead / shoulder flys
    Power cleans

very light cardio

Light chest / bi-ceps
    Heavy tricep / core work
    jump rope

Usually try to jog 3 miles on some off days 2 days a week.

b-ball 1 day a week
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

That's pretty much where I was going to go...alternate weeks
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    Doing heavy squats and light deads one week and heavy deads and light squat the next would work. One of the 5/3/1 templates is set up something like that.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I'm about to switch my program up but already have the next one picked out. This one is definitely a candidate for 8 weeks down the road though.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You've been lifting for 3 years. Go to a 3-4 day split, and give up arm day.