Advice for a lady trying to get that muscular look!

Options
2»

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Read the book, the new rules of lifting for women.

You will know what to do and how to do it. The best 15$ I even spent.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    be consistent with your training.

lift heavy weights, preferably compound movements
    eat at maintenance or slightly below
    eat enough protein (min 1g /lb of lbm) and eat enough fat

that's about it. every nuance or any other detail is pretty much preference.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One more thing... take photos before you start, take another set about once a month, and use them to track your progress instead of the scale or mirror. It's way easier to see changes in photos from month to month than in the mirror from day to day.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Read the book, the new rules of lifting for women.

You will know what to do and how to do it. The best 15$ I even spent.

Second this, even if you don't follow the program exactly, the information in there (nutrition. men/women's training) is worth the book cost. And the workouts are ace :smile:
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of advice to lift weights...that's where I'm at. At goal weight, but not goal body type. The key:

Weights
    Weights
    and Weights....

PS JM's six pack in six weeks is SOOO much better than 30 DS IMHO.

I have the Six Pack in Six Weeks as my next "to buy" :)

It's free on Youtube, as is 30 Day Shred! :) I agree 6 week 6 pack is better than 30DS.

But... My body didn't start changing until I stopped being stubborn and started listening to the <3 "know it alls" <3 on here and started compound weight lifting. 8 weeks in and I can't believe how much I'm changing! I actually saw a shadow of my abs today in the mirror :):):)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with New Rules of Lifting for Women (got me to NOT be afraid of the "man side" of the gym) and then Crossfit and Paleo eating.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, eat at a slight deficit and watch your body change.

I was actually wondering how much of a deficit I should be at. MFP has me at 1200- is that enough to build some muscle while losing inches?

I'm not an expert, but I think you need to increase your calories. 1200 is not enough. I started at 1200, but now I'm eating 1600 (with lots of protein) and lifting 3-4 days per wk. I'm seeing a lot more definition and a lower body fat. Good luck !!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of advice to lift weights...that's where I'm at. At goal weight, but not goal body type. The key:

Weights
    Weights
    and Weights....

PS JM's six pack in six weeks is SOOO much better than 30 DS IMHO.

I have the Six Pack in Six Weeks as my next "to buy" :)

I found 6W6P BOOOORING!!! So boring I didn't even get to level 2, it's so repetitive. Ripped in 30 is like the Shred but much tougher, you will like that if you're into the Shred
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Here's a client of mine who used to be a runner only till she hooked up with me. Once we hit the weights, her physique changed.
    BEFORE

a0ecfc5c-b48d-4a49-a9b3-844a6ec2fbc6_zps0c9ce435.jpg

AFTER

e9403b7c-5a9b-402d-8ebc-e53614afbe89_zps39245183.jpg
    Dorlyn2_zpsdfe17aae.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Here's a client of mine who used to be a runner only till she hooked up with me. Once we hit the weights, her physique changed.
    BEFORE

AFTER

Dorlyn2_zpsdfe17aae.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

WOW! The first picture looks similar to me now, I maybe have a little less leg muscle than her, but otherwise very, very similar to how I look- if she can get to that second picture, I should be able to at least get halfway there, right???

ETA: What is the secret behind those glutes and legs? Squats?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! After checking out some of the calculators you all were kind enough to recommend, I definitely need to up my goal from 1200! Does anyone know how I can change my goal on MFP?

Settings -> Diet/Fitness profile

Nope. To change your specific calories and macros you go go to the Goals tab and then choose to change them manually and you can punch in any calorie goal you want and you can change all your macros too.

That's another option.

What I said works if she wan't planning on manually entering things, for instance, you could select Sedentary and Maintain current weight as options.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    WOW! The first picture looks similar to me now, I maybe have a little less leg muscle than her, but otherwise very, very similar to how I look- if she can get to that second picture, I should be able to at least get halfway there, right???

ETA: What is the secret behind those glutes and legs? Squats?

I bet squats and deadlifts were a huge part of it.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, eat at a slight deficit and watch your body change.

/End Thread.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    BEFORE

AFTER

Dorlyn2_zpsdfe17aae.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

That is totally how I want to look :love: :love:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    ^^ One of my inspirations right there - read Lorina's stuff! :bigsmile:
    Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to be directed towards- I think it's sometimes difficult to get out of the mentality that the less you eat, the smaller you will be.
    Yeah, you may get smaller eating less, but you'll be smaller and still soft and squishy. And tired, and hungry, possibly grouchy....food is fuel, and weights build and/or maintain muscle, which is firm, and fit, and sounds like the body you're going for.

Not everyone who's small is "soft and squishy"; some people are lean. They also aren't hungry or irritable. But if you want to look ripped you have to eat and train differently. People have different goals.