Dating and Eating Out

Options
2»

Replies

• nika_bolinhos
    Options
    Eating out doesn't have to be a problem, just make sure that you know what you are ordering.
    Sometimes people always order the same thing in the same places, try and explore more of their menu if that is the case.
    Choose meat and veg instead of saucy pasta when you can and avoid the deep fried stuff. Also, watch out for the salad dressing, usually most of the calories are in there.
    Other than that just enjoy yourself and try to schedule your nights out so you can have lighter meals during the day and have those extra calories saved up :)
    Just because you are on a diet it doesn't mean you have to suffer, a bit of self control usually does the trick.
    It's also good training for the future, when you reach your goal weight you'll need to be able to control that and you won't have the excuse of a diet.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    i just want "Dating and Eating Out" in my newsfeed so everyone assumes I made a snarky sexual comment. Plase continue your conversation.

this
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    Well my hubby likes to take me out 3-4 times a week at lest. I just order the healthiest thing on the menu, and i usually only eat half of my order so im not consuming tons of calories. And I usually skip bread rolls/chips unless they fix in my macros/calories. A lot of times restaurants have special 550 calories or less menus. Well anyway I've had no problem losing body fat and inches from my body even tho we eat at restaurants as often as we do. What I'm saying is you have control over how much you do eat.

a WEEK????? How does your budget survive that lol
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I actually save calories during the week for the weekend/date nights. The trick is to plan ahead, not skip out on enjoyable life moments because of your lifestyle. It's a lifestyle change, not some strict diet. Go with the flow and just make smart choices.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Well my hubby likes to take me out 3-4 times a week at lest. I just order the healthiest thing on the menu, and i usually only eat half of my order so im not consuming tons of calories. And I usually skip bread rolls/chips unless they fix in my macros/calories. A lot of times restaurants have special 550 calories or less menus. Well anyway I've had no problem losing body fat and inches from my body even tho we eat at restaurants as often as we do. What I'm saying is you have control over how much you do eat.

Hahaha... benefits of a rich man. :D
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. My boyfriend is the pickiest eater ever and to compensate he takes me out to eat. Every. Freakin'. Night. I've just learned to steer us toward restaurants that post nutritional information and figured out what on the menu fits my macros. In fact, I've been known to suggest a restaurant based upon my knowledge of how many calories I have left for the day! (Shhh! He doesn't know!) :wink:
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I just go out. Enjoy the time. Only eat half of my meal and take the rest home. Log it, work around it. Make it fit. It's working. If you can't make it work for you, offer to cook for him or ask him to try out whatever place you want to go. You can almost always order a soup and salad or salad and sandwich at restaurants...
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! My boyfriend also likes eating out (and drinking wine), which causes havoc for me! And he can eat so much more than me that it isn't fair! Obviously your best options are to skip the alcohol, appetizers, and dessert and order the healthiest thing you can find on the menu. But that's no fun. :laugh:

So, what I try to do is compromise. We eat out once or twice a week, and I plan ahead for it when I am working out my calories for the week. It requires more exercise (I have to do it 5-6 days a week, but I keep my eye on the prize...that glass of wine or plate of enchiladas) and cut back on the days I don't eat out. That usually leaves me with enough of a cushion that it works, but it does require self control. And I will sometimes try to order something more healthy, provided it is something I will still enjoy. (I hate spending money at a restaurant to order grilled chicken and veggies.)

The other thing we've started to do instead of eating out is grill out at home. Grilling out is a lot of fun and an easy way to keep the calories low. (He can make steak or whatever he wants, and I just have him grill me up a piece of chicken.)
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    In
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    So here's the situation for me: My boyfriend loves to eat out and take me out, and that has been the main cause of my weight gain.

Anyone have any advice or help for me?

Find a cheap-*kitten* boyfriend and your problems are solved. #firstworldproblems
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

not a foodie though, huh? :wink:
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    Try to incorporate more cardio as a couple....You'll work up a nice sweat and that should combat the weight gain. There is always room for eating out as round 2
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Look up the menu before you go and choose something healthy, don't veer off of your plan once you get there. Also sometimes I will get a box with my meal and box up 1/2 my entree so that I'm not tempted to eat the whole thing. Last night I had steak, mushrooms & veggies out, I still stayed under my calories for the day.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    At least you have a date, some ppl are never happy ....
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options

not a foodie though, huh? :wink:

Whatcha mean? I looooove to cook, all the time. Now excuse me while I get a cup of my jambalaya. :glasses:
  • SteveStedge
    Options
    Tell him straight out..if he wants a gf who is too self-conscious to have sex, and he wants to be broke, by all means go out 3-4 days a week. That is exactly the road you're going down. Ask me how I know....
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    i just want "Dating and Eating Out" in my newsfeed so everyone assumes I made a snarky sexual comment. Plase continue your conversation.
    Ok. I wasn't the only one who's mind went there...
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    1. No bread basket/sticks/rolls! Get the waiter to take them away and replace it with a jug of water.

2. Order from the starter menu/kids/salad menu and ask them to serve it at the same time as he has his main.

3. Be mindful of what you are eating when you are on your own to factor in going out that night.

4. If you are going to fancy pants restaurants, they will happily take your/his money to make up a plate of prettily presented seasonal vegetables or fruit so feel free to request that instead of anything off the menu (good enough for Posh Spice/Victoria Beckham).
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This just in: Eating out is not making you gain weight. The food you choose to order and then put in your mouth is making you gain weight. Externalizing the problem is preventing you from solving it.

Owning the problem is the first step in correcting it. It is very much possible to eat at a restaurant EVERY DAY and still lose weight.