Help! Healthy Chinese food?

Options
So my boyfriend and I have been invited out to a Chinese restaurant tonight- I really dislike Chinese food. I find it too greasy, but alas, we are going. I am currently on a low-carb diet (loosely following the South Beach diet, with modifications for the amount of exercise I do) and I have NO idea what Chinese foods might be ok on this. I'm so tempted to just eat beforehand and drink tea there or something, because the thought of not being able to control calories, etc. terrifies me.

Any ideas? :(

Replies

• stringcheeze
    Options
    It probably depends on what restaurant you're going to. Some might have things like cabbage rolls (think of the egg roll contents in a cabbage leaf instead, and not fried). You can't go wrong with steamed veggies (snow peas, broccoli, baby corn, bok choy, carrots, water chestnuts, etc all steamed). Just skip the white rice.

I'm not sure the nutrition content in white sauce dishes like Moo Goo Gai Pan or Chicken Chop Suey. Those would definitely be better for you than the deep fried chicken dishes like sesame chicken or General Tso's chicken.

Edit: Egg Drop Soup might be another possibility -- flavored chicken stock (usually with some veggies) and eggs. Hot and Sour Soup as well (chicken stock with veggies made hot with chilies).
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I usually eat broccoli in brown sauce and egg drop soup. it's the same sauce that they use for chicken and broccoli. It is pretty low in calories.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Most Chinese restaurants offer brown rice now. Avoid chow mein, fried rice, etc. and go for the protein with a veggie like beef broccoli, mushroom chicken, etc.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I'm on my way to pick up our Chinese...our local restaurant has a great little steamed section. I usually order steamed veggies but will get steamed chicken or shrimp if I'm extra hungry. Our sauce comes on the side so I either skip it all together or just use a little bit. I may have half a cup of steamed rice but again just depends on how hungry I am. So I'd stick with the steamed stuff, shrimp is really low calorie and some places offer brown rice. Enjoy yourself...a healthy meal is doable!
  • mtizy
    mtizy Posts: 38
    Options
    Actually, I work at a Chinese place, and I always eat the chow mein, or I think some places call it chop suey. It's basically satueed celery, lettuce, bok choy, and other veggies and it tastes awesome and since its mostly veggies, and protein like chick or shrimp if you want. I eat it all the time.
  • shrublet
    shrublet Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH, everyone! I am going to write down all of your suggestions and bring it with me to the restaurant. I really appreciate all of your help. :)