Fitbit or replace HRM transmitter

Options
After three years of almost daily use I lost my chest strap and transmitter to my polar HRM. I have looked at cost to replace it and its around $50. Looks like I could get a new fitbit for double that. Cost doesn't matter in this decision much. Anyone have any raves as to why I should step up to the fitbit? Or is the general consensus that the heart rate monitor is enough. I have a busy on my feet job so I know I take a ton of steps away a day and get awesome sleep so those are not motivators for the fitbit either. Really just looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want to do.

HRM = exercise cals only
    FitBit = TDEE cals
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want to do.

HRM = exercise cals only
    FitBit = TDEE cals

It would be interesting to know my true TDEE. To bad I couldn't just rent a fitbit for a couple days :laugh:
  • tppchef
    tppchef Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That could be a business idea!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is handy as a movement logger to see how much and when you were active during the day. If you want to know accurately your calorie expenditure in exercise or keep in certain HR zones etc then the HRM is the tool for the job.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of exercise you do. Most of my exercise is step based (running, martial arts, boxing, walking, etc) and I have found that the fitbit gives me the same calorie burn as the hrm for those activities. The only thing I really need to wear the hrm is for biking and trampoline, which fitbit is very inaccurate for. I pretty much never use my hrm anymore. But some people really need to know their heart rate to push themselves harder, but that's not my issue.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Body Media. I switched from FitBit to Body Media and it is so much more accurate. FitBit is a glorified pedometer.
  • MrsAvent79
    MrsAvent79 Posts: 18
    Options
    I love my bodymedia. If you have any questions about it, just let me know. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Body Media. I switched from FitBit to Body Media and it is so much more accurate. FitBit is a glorified pedometer.

Both were equally accurate for me... No significant difference with way.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Lucky me but my transmitter showed up in the gym lost and found yesterday! :bigsmile: