How much weght will I really loose?

Options
I am 6'4, 285 pounds (currently) I have started a new lifestyle, and am well on my way to loosing weight and becoming healthy. I look at other men, who are thin, and have a good body structure. I have always been a "stocky" foot ball build "big" guy. Is it possible for me to loose enough weight to look "thin" or will I always have that typical foot ball player look?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Whether it's possible or not really depends on your metabolism, bone structure and even will power. My last boyfriend was 6'4" and he was a scrawny 180 with a crazy metabolism that made it difficult for him to gain weight (don't we all want that problem). On that note, he was also very active.

Honestly you should be striving for what makes you look in the mirror and say "DAMN!" Being thin may not be your thing, but you could always go for "cut" "yoked" "buff" since you've always had a football player build anyway... you could just go for quarter back instead of line backer (I know nothing about football so I may have gotten those two mixed up... either way, you know what I mean, right? Haha)
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    LOSE
  • tj20b
    tj20b Posts: 4
    Options
    oh yea...guess my spelling isn't top notch
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    LOSE

That's just rude. If you were so distracted by the improper spelling of a word you could have sent him a private message instead of making it a big deal about it in the thread. The point of these forums is to be supportive, give advice when asked and get support amongst many other positive ideas. The way you presented your correction is way out of line, you ought to be ashamed.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    oh yea...guess my spelling isn't top notch

He was just being a rude know-it-all, don't let people like that get you down. Just focus on what you need to get done, alright? :)
  • tj20b
    tj20b Posts: 4
    Options
    I appreciate that. A lot! Thank you
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Honestly you should be striving for what makes you look in the mirror and say "DAMN!" Being thin may not be your thing, but you could always go for "cut" "yoked" "buff" since you've always had a football player build anyway

This! Really...go for what feels good on you. Setting realistic goals is a huge part of success.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Hi tj20b

Without knowing your body make up its hard to say if you'll always look like a footballer. The main thing to concentrate on is losing fat. If you're a footballer type full of muscles, then corrrrrrr!! Why on earth would you want to be skinny and scrawney?? But if you are carrying a lot of fat, which you can tell by simply pinching your stomach, then you can lose it.

We are all different. Born of different heights, shapes, bone structure, muscles mass etc. I'm very short (4'11") but have always had big thighs and a big butt, no matter how much fat I lose, that area is always out of proportion. I've learnt to live with it.....lol You will too. Just get rid of the excess fat and you'll learn to love yourself as God made you :heart:

Good Luck

Anna

PS Oh! And I agree that RMX982 is a pedantic fool that needs to lighten up and accept typing errors and/or incorrect spelling as part of the internet experience! Peace man! :huh:
  • itsmychele
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with the "football build". If you have in your mind that you are going to eat healthier and excercise then that's a perfect start for you!! Results will come. I just started mfp and already feel better. I havent lost much of anything but I know I am on a good track for better health.
    Dont get discouraged, and dont let people get you down. Besides, there is nothing wrong with the football built. I prefer that over skinny any day!!!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Exercise and eating right will make the best of your body structure. It's unreasonable to strive for something that you aren't. If you are built stocky, you can make the most of that body build. I am short (5'3"), with a short torso, and short legs. No amount of diet and exercise will give me long, gazelle-looking legs. That's just not how it works. But work at it, and you will make your particular body structure look good. Best of luck :drinker:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Hey man I was there, I was 6'2" and started at 314 and I was big and wide, but look at my profile pictures, you will never be skinny etc but I think with some toning etc you can definately look noticably better
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    LOSE

That's just rude. If you were so distracted by the improper spelling of a word you could have sent him a private message instead of making it a big deal about it in the thread. The point of these forums is to be supportive, give advice when asked and get support amongst many other positive ideas. The way you presented your correction is way out of line, you ought to be ashamed.

I second that.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with the football body my nephew is on the Chargers had his body type is fine. I guess it would differ on which position you play
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am 6'4, 285 pounds (currently) I have started a new lifestyle, and am well on my way to loosing weight and becoming healthy. I look at other men, who are thin, and have a good body structure. I have always been a "stocky" foot ball build "big" guy. Is it possible for me to loose enough weight to look "thin" or will I always have that typical foot ball player look?

you sound a lot like my dad. He is 6'4" also and always weighed between 250 and 300 my whole life. He was a highschool football coach and definitely also has that build of a big football player!. Just recently, he decided he wanted to change. He is now down to 205 and says it's the lowest he's been in 30 years. What he has been doing different is eat clean and cycles 30 to 40 miles per day. I think he looks great, but it is wierd to see him that skinny and my personal opinion is that he looks sick. I say that only because I am used to his big build. All of the cardio he has been doing is giving him a much leaner muscle and also has burned alot of excess fat. So yes, I think it's possible for you to look "thinner" just depending on what you do.
  • annitin
    annitin Posts: 14
    Options
    It seems the older you get the harder it is to lose, but you have to keep at it and be patient. Just think aobut how long to took you to put on the weight. We can't expect to lose it and keep it off by trying to rush it or crash diet.

Also, it seems when you have lost weight before and gained it back its harder to lose it again. Is there any scientific reasoning to this?