No Cook Recipes Please!

Options
Querian
Querian Posts: 419 Member
No stove. No microwave. No oven. A bonus if they are vegetarian or vegan.

Last night I made some delicious bean and avocado sandwiches.
I've been eating a lot of salads with canned beans and fresh veggies.
Peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch today.

I have a cooler but no frig. I actually do have an electric tea kettle so I have made ramen a few times (without the packet) but I'm not sure what else to do with that other than make oatmeal but I don't want oatmeal for dinner! There are plenty of easy breakfast foods that are no cook plus the hotel where I am for a few days actually has breakfast.

Looking for more ideas!

Replies

• gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Mmmm that is a challenge!

Try putting

What is your healthy 'I don't want to cook' meal

the search function - there was a long trail on this kind of thing a while back.

I guess you can do cous cous with the help of the kettle - great with raisins or pomegranate seeds and eg feta...
  • Querian
    Options
    Thanks gently! The thread has lots of good ideas! And couscous would work, too, just add dried fruits and nuts and some seasonings or some fresh veggies! I hadn't thought of that idea :smile:
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't own a microwave, and haven't used the oven in years. Just google raw vegan recipes. There are tons of great raw recipes.
  • von13nie
    von13nie Posts: 39
    Options
    There is a recipe on this forum for my falafels. If you use canned chick peas instead of dried ones you would not have to do any cooking. These falafels are great in wraps with a little salad and B-B-Q sauce.
  • Querian
    Options
    I'm having a hard time finding simple raw vegan recipes ... I have so few ingredients on hand I don't want to go buy a lot of extra ingredients and then have to travel with them. I have found googling "no cook recipes" works the best but I was hoping for some tried and true recommendations. I don't even have a strainer right now but plan to buy one tomorrow because not having one is ridiculous. I wanted to pack that plus a cutting board and a good knife but my husband talked me out of it, now I have to go buy duplicates.
  • Querian
    Options
    I might try the falafel recipe, although I will admit that mashing beans with a plastic fork is tough but I did it last night and it seemed to work out ok ... eventually :smile: (one chickpea at a time lol)
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I made jicama fries tonight.... F**KING AWESOME!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    But my cook has to taste all my food to make sure it's not poisoned.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Ok..my mom makes this as a snack for me and I was oblivious as to how healthy it was when I ate without a care in the world....

basically, get some DARK chick peas, add chopped tomatoes, cilantro,lemon juice and a little chilli powder or chopped chilli if you like kick.

Vegan, high in protein,low in calories, beyond delicious. Thank me later!!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Nothing to contribute but a BUMP...
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I do a salsa thats pretty nice.

Just mince up some red and white onions -1/2 -3/4 cup of each
    2-16 oz can chopped tomatoes-i go for no sat added- i still rinse and drain and press hard against the collander-we want to remove as much xtra liquid as possible
    3 cups minced bell peppers--i like to use as many different colors as possible
    1 10 oz can corn--rinse drain and press against collander-if u have good fresh corn use instead
    1 cup finely chopped italian parsley
    1 cup finely chopped cilantro
    1 T tabasco or some other equivalent
    squeeze the 2 halves of 1 lime

Take sharp knives and use them to mix everything together--at least 3-4 mnutes continuously with some real speed and elbow grease. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and stir before serving
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Canned black beans rinsed, salsa or pico, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips, cheddar cheese and sour cream, great cold. Just rember to add chips last.
  • Querian
    Options
    I made jicama fries tonight.... F**KING AWESOME!
    I love jicama but am confused: are they just raw chopped into fry shapes?
  • Querian
    Options
    But my cook has to taste all my food to make sure it's not poisoned.
    Well sir you are in a pickle now then!
  • Querian
    Options
    Ok..my mom makes this as a snack for me and I was oblivious as to how healthy it was when I ate without a care in the world....

basically, get some DARK chick peas, add chopped tomatoes, cilantro,lemon juice and a little chilli powder or chopped chilli if you like kick.

Vegan, high in protein,low in calories, beyond delicious. Thank me later!!
    I haven't seen dark chickpeas but I'm gonna look for them! I actually had something similar a couple of days ago with regular chickpeas and cucumber too. Quick and easy and refreshing and healthy! Who could ask for more? Now I need to find some dark chickpeas ...
  • Querian
    Options
    I do a salsa thats pretty nice.

Just mince up some red and white onions -1/2 -3/4 cup of each
    2-16 oz can chopped tomatoes-i go for no sat added- i still rinse and drain and press hard against the collander-we want to remove as much xtra liquid as possible
    3 cups minced bell peppers--i like to use as many different colors as possible
    1 10 oz can corn--rinse drain and press against collander-if u have good fresh corn use instead
    1 cup finely chopped italian parsley
    1 cup finely chopped cilantro
    1 T tabasco or some other equivalent
    squeeze the 2 halves of 1 lime

Take sharp knives and use them to mix everything together--at least 3-4 mnutes continuously with some real speed and elbow grease. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and stir before serving
    This is good since I could serve it over greens as a salad, with chips, or mixed into beans. So many options! Thanks! I even already have the tomatoes, onion and hot sauce on hand and I'm trying to use up what's on hand to be both frugal and so we don't have to haul extra items all over tarnation as we travel.
  • Querian
    Options
    Canned black beans rinsed, salsa or pico, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips, cheddar cheese and sour cream, great cold. Just rember to add chips last.
    This is a good idea, too! I could use the salsa from the previous post even! I like the idea of sour cream and my husband likes to use sour cream in his tuna salad and we have some cans of tuna on hand so we could use up a lot of a small thing of sour cream pretty easily. So many good ideas!
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    U can throw bacon into it so its not vegetarian-or vegatarian bacon in it so it still is :ohwell:
  • Querian
    Options
    U can throw bacon into it so its not vegetarian-or vegatarian bacon in it so it still is :ohwell:
    Lol I actually have some bacon bits that were part of a spice blend set that I purchased on the road at a fair and when I read the label they are made of tvp and they aren't even real bacon. Even though they are called bacon! :laugh:
  • Lat1988
    Lat1988 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    for a sweet snack i combine dried oats, diced organic dates and sugar-free coconut, adding water bit by bit to form a consistency of a slice. compress in baking tin and refrigerate. I love it.