Turkey Burgers-frozen patties

Options

Replies

• Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    you could buy some ground turkey and make them into patties and freeze them yourself. that way you know whats in them!
    i just bought the jennie-o turkey burgers to have for quick BBQ's they are ok.. i really like to make my own burgers..much better quality and you can control what goes in them!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Jenni-O is good. 200 calories per burger, about 20g of protein.
    Aldi makes their own brand now too, $5.99 for 12 patties!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I haven't found one that I prefer. Honestly, turkey/chicken meat is just too lean in the ground form to make a tasty juicy burger. Most that I have tried reminded me of cardboard, and I felt rather unsatisfied.

When I make homemade patties, I mix ground sirloin and ground chicken if I'm wanting something a bit leaner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Make sure you use lean ground turkey breast. If you buy the regular ole Jennie O turkey burgers, they are not doing you any good and you could have a regular hamburger for that.

Oh good...someone beat me to it. I think it's quite funny that people actually think they're doing themselves something good if they have turkey vs beef...when they pick the product that has the same exact fat content. 85/15 burger is the sames as 85/15 turkey...only the burger actually tastes good.
  • BoxerLover96
    BoxerLover96 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Tonight will be our first time trying frozen turkey burgers...I believe they are the Lean White meat ones from Jennie O. Hubby isn't too excited and I'm worried we may not like them! Reading the replies above help ease that worry. :)
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Jennio makes a jalapeno jack cheese burger that is awesome. It is not hot but has a lot of flavor.:happy:
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer grassfed beef burgers 90/10 but when I do eat turkey burgers I really enjoy Applegate Farms Turkey Burgers. I just throw em on the grill or george foreman with a little garlic salt and pepper.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Jennie-O turkey burgers are really good. They've been the closest thing i've had to tasting like what you would make yourself, baking or grilling ground turkey. They have a few different ones too. I'm eating the lean one, it's like 93/7 or something like that. But yeah, comes out pretty good. I've had others, that didn't really taste the same or resemble legit turkey burgers.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Had the already pattied Butterball turkey burgers last week. Honestly they were terrible. I haven't tried Jennie-O yet, but right now I'm planning to never buy the Butterball kind again and just patty out my own.
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    I actually have bought the Fit and Active Turkey Burgers from Aldi's and they tasted good. I season them when cooking though. Actually had this for dinner last night on a whole wheat bun and put half a slice of provolone on it with tomato and I saute'd up some spinach and garlic and added that on the burger as well. Tasted great!
  • jenny_doyle22
    Options
    We buy the Butterball frozen ones from Sam's Club. They have an onion-y flavor too them, but I find I need to top them with lettuce, tomato, a nice slice of red onion, and sometimes avocado if I have it to bolster the flavor profile. For me turkey burgers are all about the toppings. I also skip the bun to make (calorie) room for the toppings. If I had to eat it naked, I probably wouldn't.
  • wlfpakfan13
    wlfpakfan13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The butterball Sweet Onion turkey burger patties are good. They are in a box of about 10 (frozen) and I've gotten them from Harris Teeter. We have a George foreman at work and I usually put one on there and then have 1/2 a sweet potato for lunch.
  • JustinDBeal
    Options
    It may just be me but I prefer to get the lean ground turkey meat over the pre-made and pre-seasoned turkey burger patties. The already made stuff has so many more preservatives in it and the sodium content is ridiculous. I know it might be a little nit-picky but if you just get the lean ground turkey meat in the 1 lb packaging (the tubes) you can season it they way you want to and just make up 4 burgers at once. Whatever you don't eat you can freeze or refrigerate and have for a later meal. One roll of it will make enough for 4 servings so if you just have them yourself you have 4 meals for a pretty low price. If you have a George Foreman Grill then you can even cut out a bit more fat over pan cooking it. Every little bit helps.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I actually have bought the Fit and Active Turkey Burgers from Aldi's and they tasted good. I season them when cooking though. Actually had this for dinner last night on a whole wheat bun and put half a slice of provolone on it with tomato and I saute'd up some spinach and garlic and added that on the burger as well. Tasted great!

This.I get mine at aldis and they are my favorite at home quick eat.
  • jordanlillybit
    jordanlillybit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has AMAZING turkey burgers. I'm newly vegetarian, but I'm also a grad student...so they were my 'go-to' item last semester when I needed to make a quick dinner.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The Jennie-O turkey burgers aren't bad - my wife doesn't eat beef and we keep those around if she feels like a burger. But you need to watch out when you're grilling them - they turn into hockey pucks very fast if you over cook them.
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I used to just eat the Jennie O ones but then I found some from Aldi's for the Fit and Active Brand and fell in love with those I prepare mine no matter which brand on the stovetop I sprinkle lawrys on both sides and cook it up in the pan then I put a serving of cheese on my plate and put the hot burgers on the cheese to melt it

My fave is aldi's brand and its only 260 calories for both of them

So disappointed because aldi's is not selling the turkey burgers right now and i have gotten used to only needing 260 calories instead of 400 calories for turkey burgers so i just hate having to go back to 400 calories
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of lean ground chicken/turkey and making your own. This way you can control whatever goes into them. I don't care about processed food (and enjoy it) so for me it isn't an issue of preservatives - more an issue of flavor. Make them yourself and you can control the flavor profile completely.

My fav types are ground chicken, walkerswood jerk marinade and green onions for a Caribbean chicken burger. Or lemon juice/zest, olive oil an oregano for a soulvlaki type burger. Can also use chilli type seasoning for a tex mex" burger etc..
  • sandytoshiko
    sandytoshiko Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen turkey burger patties at Costco. They are very good, both me and my husband love them. We actually prefer them over beef (most of the time).

Thank you for posting this. I have often wondered about those, but since I live alone, I didn't want to end up with a "Paul Bunyan" size package of something that I didn't care for. I will have to try some next time there is room in the freezer.

WE LOVE THESE!! Sprinkle some salt, pepper and garlic- yum!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I make mine. Ground turkey, salsa, a few breadcrumbs, an egg white. Extra delicious when topped with guac.