Quit lifting or not...

Options
I've been at this since early March, (started using MFP after that) and have lost some weight, but not nearly as much as I feel like I should have. I do stronglifts followed by 15-20 minutes of HIIT cardio 3 days a week, Gym machines and 30-40 minutes of steady cardio 2 days a week, and 2 days off. I started out on here at the recommended 1240 calories, but then upped it because I was hungry all the time. Now I eat between 1400-1500 calories a day and feel that is perfect for me. Once in a great great while will go over or under. According to my calorie burn shown on my fitbit, I'm eating a 1000 calorie deficit a day on most days. I may lose a pound or 2, then stay at that weight for 2-3 weeks, then another pound, and so on. My starting weight was 260, current weight is 238. Could the lifting be what is slowing down my weight loss? I know that I might be losing fat but gaining muscle, but I need to lose pounds. I've been lifting for about 2 months, before that I just did machines and cardio at the gym and was losing a little faster. As much as I love it, I'm starting to think that I should lose the weight first,, then start lifting again. With as much weight as I have to lose, I thought after 4 months of working so hard I would have lost 40 pounds at least. I don't mean to sound like a whiner, maybe my expectations are too high?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since early March, (started using MFP after that) and have lost some weight, but not nearly as much as I feel like I should have. I do stronglifts followed by 15-20 minutes of HIIT cardio 3 days a week, Gym machines and 30-40 minutes of steady cardio 2 days a week, and 2 days off. I started out on here at the recommended 1240 calories, but then upped it because I was hungry all the time. Now I eat between 1400-1500 calories a day and feel that is perfect for me. Once in a great great while will go over or under. According to my calorie burn shown on my fitbit, I'm eating a 1000 calorie deficit a day on most days. I may lose a pound or 2, then stay at that weight for 2-3 weeks, then another pound, and so on. My starting weight was 260, current weight is 238. Could the lifting be what is slowing down my weight loss? I know that I might be losing fat but gaining muscle, but I need to lose pounds. I've been lifting for about 2 months, before that I just did machines and cardio at the gym and was losing a little faster. As much as I love it, I'm starting to think that I should lose the weight first,, then start lifting again. With as much weight as I have to lose, I thought after 4 months of working so hard I would have lost 40 pounds at least. I don't mean to sound like a whiner, maybe my expectations are too high?

22 pounds in four months is a little over 5 pounds a month, which is totally reasonable. \

If you stop lifting its possible you'll drop pounds faster because you won't be working to preserve your lean muscle anymore (You probably aren't gaining any appreciable amount of muscle at that deficit btw, just working to maintain it) but losing muscle mass isn't really a good thing. But, again, if you're just solely looking to drop scale weight...
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are also taking measurements. The scale is not the only determining factor of progress! I would definitely continue with the weight training. If you absolutely don't want to weight train anybody may switch over to body weight excercises... Push ups, burpees, etc.... Losing fat and increasing/maintaining lean muscle mass is the goal... You can't obtain that with cardio alone...
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i'd stick with the lifting. you're building and maintaining muscle, which burns fat more effectively. if you decide to just go the cardio route, you'll be losing all that lean muscle that you've been building. in the end, the number on the scale will be lower, but if you're anything like me, you'll be "skinny fat" and the way to combat that is to lift weights. this is what happened to me. i did cardio to lose pounds on the scale and then i wasn't happy with how i looked so i started lifting. wish i would have just lifted in the first place. why not save yourself some time in between and just stick with the weights? what you've been doing seems to be working, you're losing at a good, healthy rate. mix it up and keep it interesting by doing different lifts and combine it with your HIIT. plus it's FUN to see yourself gaining strength!

like others said, take measurements and progress pictures. the number on the scale isn't the end all. in fact, i've gained 5-6 pounds since i started lifting weights. it really freaked me out at first, but i did measurements and compared photos, and i have lost inches in the place i wanted to lose, and gained inches in the places i wanted to gain. i love lifting!
  • Stoli24
    Stoli24 Posts: 14
    Options
    22 pounds in four months is a little over 5 pounds a month, which is totally reasonable. \

If you stop lifting its possible you'll drop pounds faster because you won't be working to preserve your lean muscle anymore (You probably aren't gaining any appreciable amount of muscle at that deficit btw, just working to maintain it) but losing muscle mass isn't really a good thing. But, again, if you're just solely looking to drop scale weight...

^^^^ This. Strength training is one of the best things you can do if you want to lose fat. Without it, in a calorie deficit your body will start to burn more muscle. In the long run, this is detrimental to overall fat loss.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

^^^^ This. Strength training is one of the best things you can do if you want to lose fat. Without it, in a calorie deficit your body will start to burn more muscle. In the long run, this is detrimental to overall fat loss.

This X 100!!! Trust me, I backed off the heavy lifting over the winter and I just picked up the pictures we took during our Warrior Dash run a couple weeks ago and even though I am 20 lbs lighter than I was when I was lifting heavy, I look horrible. My Warrior Dash pics from last year (keep in mind I weighed 20 lbs more last year and was heavy lifting) look so much better. I was lean and fit. Not fat and flabby. I am now training for a half marathon and lifting moderately, I expect to start seeing my physique from last year start to reappear! Fingers crossed.....lol
  • mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat more, I am eatting around 1800 and losing a pound a week. Look at what you are eating too, you need more protein less carbs. Your muscles might be holding on to things it doesn't need because it is not getting enough fuel!!! I know it sounds weird to eat more lose more, but I was at a platau and uped my Calories and Protein and started losing again. But do not stop lifting!!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I also started lifting and saw a big slow in my weight loss. However, I am seeing my body changing little by little and have lost some inches. I usually eat about 1800-1900 calories on workout days, my rest days about 1600-1800.

I recently started doing more cardio on my non-lifting days. I love to run and didn't want to totally give it up. Since doing that, the scale started going down again. Still very slow, but that's all good!

I'm still very overweight and got a ways to go. I will continue doing this until I hit another wall. I try to keep my protein at 125g per day in hopes I don't lose too much muscle mass as I drop weight.

Don't quit! Hang in there. :wink:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options

I agree here too. Stick with the weight lifting and 22lbs in 4months is not anything to sneer at. That's more then an average weight loss. I'm at 7mos and only 21-22lbs(not lifting the whole 7months)

A couple tips with the weight lifting:
    1. You need to give your body a day off between lifting....that means any weights including machines. Your muscles need time to repair themselves. This is a must.
    2. Take your measurments. While lifting the scale will probably go down slowly or up and down due to water rentention but your measurements will change and that is what you want.....that means you're losing fat.
    3. Protein! You need a lot of protein to help build the muscle and lose the fat. I'd say atleast 30% on your macros

If you were expecting to lose 10lbs a month you were extremely unrealistic in your goals. 1lb/week is a good average sustainable rate of loss.

I need to lose more weight too, but I can feel the muscle definition underneath and things are changing. You may actually need to eat a little more since you are doing a decent amount of cardio too.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Don't give up lifting you will regret it in the future. Like an above poster says, if you dont lift to maintain your LBM while on a deficit when you get down to your goal weight I will be surprise if you enjoy the way you look.

For example I have a friend of mine who I went to UNI with, at his heaviest he was about 16/17st but in over a year he has managed to loose 6 stone so is at a "normal" weight for his height. The only only with this the only exercise he did while dieting was stationary back and a bit of walk not resistant work at all. Although he has lost alot of weight. some of the has come from LBM to the extent he look "ill" skinny rather that lean skinny.

So my recomendation for you is that way im going keep on with the resistant trainging, mix it up alittle every now and again just to surprise your body and you will start to loose again, bonus being when you get down to your ideal weight you will have some nice LBM on your frame.
  • Stef2752
    Stef2752 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm afraid to eat more calories- I feel like if I do that, I will actually be over eating since I am completely satisfied now. I do think I need to increase my protein tho. Think I'll start a protein shake once a day. I guess I need to remember and keep telling myself "slow and steady wins the race". I'll keep on keepin' on. Thanks! =)
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You need to lift... no buts, what-ifs, why, can't, w/e. :happy:
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Eat more and don't ever stop lifting!
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said. Just want you to know I think you are doing great!
  • Stef2752
    Stef2752 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said. Just want you to know I think you are doing great!

Thank you! =)
  • SteveStedge
    Options
    My starting weight was 260, current weight is 238. Could the lifting be what is slowing down my weight loss? I know that I might be losing fat but gaining muscle, but I need to lose pounds.

Short answer-NO. Strength training will give you a SHAPE and lean mass burns extra calories 24 hours a day. Have you ever seen someone who just does cardio and never strength trains after they lose weight? They look awful. There are just way too many benefits to preserving muscle I can't begin to list them all. What the obessesion with "pounds"? If you're losing muscle pounds, thats a huge fail. Get yourself a decent bodyfat meter, that will keep you motivated seeing your bodyfat drop, where pounds are a useless number.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting.

Despite the cal intake looking a tad low, the actual rate of weight loss is pretty much spot on IMO. Stick with it :smile:
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just started "weight lifting" with dum bells (I don't have access to machines), I really loved reading the comments in which assured me I am not making the wrong decision. I was 182lbs this last Monday. I started dieting in May and weight 187 on May 17th. It occurred to me Tuesday that I should probably start lifting during my loss of weight that way I don't look... hmm... weird once I reach my goal fo 115lbs (which I may not even get because of the added muscle I will have... but yeah).

Anyway, I am slowly trying to start my own routine. Basically I want to try to walk 7 miles a week with 2 40minutes walks, and the rest 30 or 20 minute sessions. During the days with the shorter walks, I plan to do the weight lifting, especially since one reply mentioned to allow my body a rest between weight lifting, I think that's a good idea and I plan on it.

I may have to up my food intake, protein especially. Today wasn't so bad... 90g of protein \o/ so that's cool, that's double than what my diary recommends. I will see if I need more. I normally know how to listen to my body pretty decently...
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Also remember, the more muscle mass you can preserve during deficit the higher your calorie burn is at rest. That alone keeps me going when it gets tough.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I would keep lifting. If you stop, you're going to miss those muscles when you're skinny.
  • ang3li
    ang3li Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would keep lifting! You are building muscle and burning fat at the same time. You just need to give it time and keep being consistent. When you lose the weight, you will look AMAZING with all that muscle and you won't be a skinny fat cardio bunny!

Keep at it! Good luck :)