difference between strength & restistance training?

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
can someone tell me the difference, i thought they were the same, some may call me stupid for that but i am a newbie to this stuff. I am currently doing CLX ( chalean extreme) and some tell me this is not lifting? so i am confused, what do you call it?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Strength training is a blanket term that can be as narrow or as all encompassing as you want. But more often than not it literally means training in a specific format to promote optimal strength gains. ChaLEAN Extreme follows a muscular endurance training format. The way she has you doing those super slow reps with only one set of each exercise, the format is not ideal for that. Literal strength training involves neuromuscular stimulation, not just muscular stimulation.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that workout before, but I know who Chalean is from Turbo Jam...looked it up and watched a short video. I guess I think of strength training and resistance training as pretty subjective terms. Resistance training is a type of strength training. But I always think of it being more with bands, high repetitions, low weight...and strength training high weight, low repetition.
  • lin7604
    Options
    ok, but isn't endurance when you do many ,many reps? in her circuits it's lift heavy till you fail? eg, 6-8 reps.

edit: sorry you posted just before i responded,lol.....

see that is why i am confused, as with her i do 6-8 reps heavy but yes it's only cycle of each exercise. but i don't know what to call it, as it;s not "endurance" in my mind.... and not really circuit training as i know something like 30ds is circuit training as you do 3 min strength, 2 min cardio and 1 min abs with that.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Broadly, they are very similar. Strength training encompasses exercises designed to increase strength, which are primarily resistance exercises. Resistance training is using the generation of force against a heavy object in order to exercise. Most strength training is resistance training, but not all resistance training is strength training. Push ups are a form of resistance training that is not really strength training. Since your body does not get significantly heavier, but you do get stronger and more efficient in the exercise, you will eventually reach a point where your body no longer provides sufficient resistance to increase strength. At that point, push-ups cease to be strength training, but continue to be resistance training, and can be used in cardio routines for other purposes. Hope that helps.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Anybody who tells you Chalene Extreme is not lifting have no idea what goes on in those workouts...

It is not "powerlifting' or "olympic lifting" or whatever specialized way of picking up heavy things, but I started lifting with that program - and by the end of it did deadlifts (6-8) with 120lbs (heaviest dumbells I had).....

If that is not weight training or lifting, I am Tinkerbell.....:bigsmile:
  • stratmantl69
    Options
    Broadly, they are very similar. Strength training encompasses exercises designed to increase strength, which are primarily resistance exercises. Resistance training is using the generation of force against a heavy object in order to exercise. Most strength training is resistance training, but not all resistance training is strength training. Push ups are a form of resistance training that is not really strength training. Since your body does not get significantly heavier, but you do get stronger and more efficient in the exercise, you will eventually reach a point where your body no longer provides sufficient resistance to increase strength. At that point, push-ups cease to be strength training, but continue to be resistance training, and can be used in cardio routines for other purposes. Hope that helps.

Quite possibly the best definition I've read in quite some time. Well said..............
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Cliff-Clavin_zps295bc7aa.jpg
  • lin7604
    Options
    Anybody who tells you Chalene Extreme is not lifting have no idea what goes on in those workouts...

It is not "powerlifting' or "olympic lifting" or whatever specialized way of picking up heavy things, but I started lifting with that program - and by the end of it did deadlifts (6-8) with 120lbs (heaviest dumbells I had).....

If that is not weight training or lifting, I am Tinkerbell.....:bigsmile:

haha thx that is kinda what i think too..... many have told me that i am not lifting doing clx, so i didn't knwo what kind of exercise i was really doing then.....
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Loving CLX and I would call it lifting! On my second month and have seen a noticeable difference.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

I like this answer