MUST HAVE items in fridge for weightloss (foods)

Options
i need help.. i think i want to make a lifestyle change and watch what i am eating... ( i am on a budget and only go to a regular grocery store-not organic or anything/although i know they sell organic items ) anyways what are the top 5 items in your fridge for your go to snack???

also what is a good healthy meal i can make?? or do you know any sites that post low calorie meal choices??

it doesnt have to be SUPER healthy but basically i need to grow in knowledge in how to eat properly because my diet consists of JUNK/FAST FOOD/more junk AND more fast food lol.. seriously.. im very bad... i really want to lose 5 pounds :) the healthy way ofcourse..

Replies

• Diyamommy
    Diyamommy Posts: 56
    Options
    Skinny taste.com , Pinterest will have some great suggestions . I keep no sugar chocolate pudding and apples and baby carrots ANSI peanut butter handy. Also 0 fat Greek yogurt
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Skinny taste.com , Pinterest will have some great suggestions . I keep no sugar chocolate pudding and apples and baby carrots ANSI peanut butter handy. Also 0 fat Greek yogurt
    OK cool :) stupid question but is peanut butter healthy??? i was thinking of putting some on celery but im confused because one mfp friend said that her addiction was peanut butter like it was a bad thing??? is it i always thought it was healthy :)
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My favorite go-to snack is linked below. I like to make a double batch and freeze them, pulling them out as needed. They're great for on-the-go, too. I really need to make some more this weekend!

http://muffin-topless.com/2012/08/17/cinnamon-pumpkin-protein-muffins/

My other favorites are 85% dark chocolate squares, natural peanut butter, toasted sunflower kernels, avocado, berries (fresh or frozen), and unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    My diet is super inexpensive.... I probably spend about $100 a month to feed myself (not counting occasionally eating out at a restaurant, which isn't essential). I've a big junk food junkie who hates cooking. So far I've lost 22 pounds in 2.5 months.

I mostly eat brown rice, lentils, and steamed/blanched/stir-fried vegetables. One cup of lentils has the protein of 3 eggs, plus they don't require soaking and cook in about 20-30 minutes.

Snacks:
    Apples
    Boiled eggs
    Leftover vegetables

One sample meal:
    1 cup brown rice cooked (cook in a rice cooker)
    1 cup lentils cooked (boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes until done)
    Acorn or butternut squash, chopped (boil, then cover and simmer)
    Steamed collard greens or kale (steam about 1 minute)

To season, add 1-2 spoons of Tamari at the table, or salt and pepper, or toasted/dry-roasted sesame seeds (pour the seeds in a pan with no water or oil, put over high heat, and stir until toasted). I buy large bags of sesame seeds in a health food store because the regular grocery store only has the small expensive jars in the spice area.

Drinks:
    black coffee
    water (filtered, with lemon slices)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is good for you...but very calorie dense. You'll be shocked how many calories are in a couple of tablspoons. Really though...there isn't any food you cant enjoy..within reason. Its all about portion control.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hummus, fruits, cottage cheese, tuna, frozen and fresh veggies, old fashioned oatmeal, nuts, dark chocolate
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    OK cool :) stupid question but is peanut butter healthy??? i was thinking of putting some on celery but im confused because one mfp friend said that her addiction was peanut butter like it was a bad thing??? is it i always thought it was healthy :)

Peanut butter has protein, but it also has a huge amount of fat. One tablespoon is about 200 calories.
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Peanut butter is essentially a fat. It is a healthier fat, with some nice benefits and WONDERFUL taste, but it is very calorie-dense. I have peanut butter every day. I crave it more than chocolate. But I plan ahead for it. You just have to be careful of serving size and not carry the jar and spoon around with you, but it doesn't have to be "unhealthy".
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, greek yogurt popsicles, black bean hummus, frozen veggie burger patties (I am not a vegetarian but I can't find any meat patties that can be microwaved, so the veggie ones work well-3 minutes in the microwave and 200 calories, 20 g protein. They are good chopped up in some lettuce or spinach and topped with salsa).
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    lentals....?? when you cook them do you season them anyway? do they taste good with lime or sea salt? or cooked onion?? i have never heard of these... but a HUGE turn on for me is that (posted above) you do not need to soak them AND they only take 30 minutes to cook... i feel like pinto beans take FOREVER!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Choose foods that are not hard to moderate (individually portioned treats for instance) and lots of healthy foods to snack on like hummus and baby carrots, preparing your own hard-boiled eggs, pickles, salsa, dried fruit, nuts and seeds, fresh fruits and veggies, yogurt, and ingredients you can use to make simple meals.
    Some good ingredients for 'supper' meals might be: canned or dried beans, frozen chicken breast, frozen stir fry veggies, whole wheat pastas, brown rice, sweet potatoes, lettuce, lean ground beef, shrimp and other seafood, and high fiber tortillas.
    You'll also want to stock up on flavorful sauces and spices for your meals so you won't get bored. Some ideas are: soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, BBQ sauce, basil, garlic powder, bottled lemon juice, flavor-infused olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, sriracha, chalula, wasabi mayonnaise (for wraps and sandwiches), and any other favorite flavors that you know will make your meals more exciting.
    When you get a craving for something that feels like 'cheating' on your diet but decide to go for it anyway, make sure you do it in moderation, and DON'T buy a big amount and try to convince yourself you'll "make it last for a long time" - this could easily lead to overeating. Buy an amount that will only last you for the day and in a moderate amount, so you won't be tempted later on.

I hope this answers your questions, and I wish you luck!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My top 5 things in the fridge are:

plain yoghurt - whichever has the best protein/calorie count
    eggs eggs eggs! - 2 a morning at breakfast most days
    chicken breast + things I like to have them with like shiitake mushrooms, sprouts, capsicum, pasta sauce, garlic
    salad mix leaves + salad stuffs such as carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, bean sprouts
    full cream milk to mix a little with eggs and a little with protein powder, given my macros for the day

top 5 things not in the fridge but super duper amazing

protein powder - I have one which is 78 cals per serving and 15g protein :)
    plain cocoa powder (mix with protein powder, 50ml milk and a small banana for a 200~250cal post workout drink that tastes like dessert)
    chia seeds - mixed with my eggs every morning, great for energy!
    vitamin D - I am deficient like most people and if I don't get it, I become really tired and lethargic
    fresh fruit - apples, oranges, kiwi, papaya, bananas, strawberries... you get the idea (some berries go in the fridge I guess)

YOU ARE MAKING ME HUNGRY!

edit: AND DRIED BEANS! They are amazing, add 1/2 a cup to salads or chicken + pasta sauce, so heavenly and some really healthy carbs and protein :) just be sure to soak for 12hours, wash REALLY well after soaking and wash again REALLY well after cooking - this avoids the 'beans beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot!' phenomenon. Seriously, no gas if done right.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    Choose foods that are not hard to moderate (individually portioned treats for instance) and lots of healthy foods to snack on like hummus and baby carrots, preparing your own hard-boiled eggs, pickles, salsa, dried fruit, nuts and seeds, fresh fruits and veggies, yogurt, and ingredients you can use to make simple meals.
    Some good ingredients for 'supper' meals might be: canned or dried beans, frozen chicken breast, frozen stir fry veggies, whole wheat pastas, brown rice, sweet potatoes, lettuce, lean ground beef, shrimp and other seafood, and high fiber tortillas.
    You'll also want to stock up on flavorful sauces and spices for your meals so you won't get bored. Some ideas are: soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, BBQ sauce, basil, garlic powder, bottled lemon juice, flavor-infused olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, sriracha, chalula, wasabi mayonnaise (for wraps and sandwiches), and any other favorite flavors that you know will make your meals more exciting.
    When you get a craving for something that feels like 'cheating' on your diet but decide to go for it anyway, make sure you do it in moderation, and DON'T buy a big amount and try to convince yourself you'll "make it last for a long time" - this could easily lead to overeating. Buy an amount that will only last you for the day and in a moderate amount, so you won't be tempted later on.

I hope this answers your questions, and I wish you luck!

ok cool i didnt know if soy sauc and other sauces were ok.. of course ill eat those in moderation...thank you im going tostop buying fast food and start cooking...
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    lentals....?? when you cook them do you season them anyway? do they taste good with lime or sea salt? or cooked onion?? i have never heard of these... but a HUGE turn on for me is that (posted above) you do not need to soak them AND they only take 30 minutes to cook... i feel like pinto beans take FOREVER!

They are spelled Lentils. You can buy them in the grocery store in little plastic bags in the aisle with other beans and rice. A bag costs $1.20 here. You can also buy them in bulk in a health food store (and check the price per lb because the regular store might be cheaper). There are several kinds, brown (sold in grocery stores) and colors (red and I think yellow, sold along with brown in health food stores). I think the only difference is the brown holds its shape while the colored lentils can turn to mush if overcooked.

I don't know how they taste with lime, but they taste fine with salt. They are also great with onions, tomatoes, avocado, and winter squash like butternut and acorn.

I don't like to cook, so lentils are perfect for me. They are cheap, have a ton of protein (1 cup of lentils = the protein of 3 eggs), you don't have to soak them, and they cook in 20-30 minutes (boil, then cover and simmer). I usually cook a batch that lasts several days. I eat 1 cup of lentils with 1 cup of brown rice at a meal, or 2 cups of lentils with no rice. Works for me!
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat most things just smaller portions (budget friendly) and prepared in a healthier way/lower calorie way. Also have a fruit and vege garden :)
  • jordanlillybit
    jordanlillybit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The key is just to switch over to fruits and veggies...and proteins with better fats. Eat a banana instead of chips. Have greek yogurt instead of ice cream. Make quinoa instead of white pasta. Fix tofu instead of beef.

One of my favorite meals is arugula with mini heirloom tomatoes, black grapes, and 1 tbsp of feta with a splash of balsamic.

You could also buy Annie's Parmesan Peace Pasta, fix it without the butter, throw in some tomatoes and broccoli, and you have an easy meal (slightly high in sodium) that will be filling but tasty.

Raw almonds are wonderful, and I do have one little square of dark chocolate every day. It helps curb the sweet cravings, and I feel satisfied.

I also drink a lot of green tea. :)
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have fresh blue berries, fresh cherries with seeds, couple oranges, an apple, baby carrots, bell peppers, hummus, keifer milk. Fresh fruit is expensive at times unless it's in season. If it's not in season, get frozen fruit and thaw out.

I love sprinkling dark chocolate chips, walnuts over plain greek yogurt, for a sweet tooth craving.

If I am not hungry but in a munchies mode, I eat Kalavi (brand from Norway) light crisp crackers only 15 calories. Kind of like cardboard but has 2grams of fiber and it makes me think I am satisfied. Also Wasa crackers are light but cost more.
  • johnglenn1973
    Options
    Good thread as I probably need to add some to mine (which I will share)....

Here are my go to weight loss foods:

1. Greek Yogurt - Love this stuff, so many different flavors.
    2. Celery - Some people hate it...I love it plain with just a little salt
    3. Eggs - Enough said
    4. Fruits - Bananas, Apples, Pears, etc.

and my favorite that most will scoff at...

5. Spicy Fried Pork Skins - I know it sounds gross, but I absolutely love them because they replace the crunch of potato chips, are actually quite filling, and have no carbs. They're high in sodium so I do eat them in moderation. But, I love eating just half a handful very slowly and it feels like I had a bag of chips.

Good luck!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I just eat normal food for most of my meals but when I get snacky and dont have calories left my go to is popcorn. Probably the most helpful food for keeping me from going over.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Strawberries
    Grapes
    Bananas
    yogurt
    celery
    peanut butter ( it has 190 calories for 2 tablespoons)
    tuna
    chicken
    any kind of lean meat
    salad
    onions
    tomatoes
    100 calorie popcorn
    avocado
    any veggies and any fruits will be good
    eggs
    turkey bacon