Hummus

Options
2»

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, this thread is the first thing to make me laugh all night!! :laugh:
  • trinitypinecone
    trinitypinecone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hummus is quite versatile. You can add soy beans or other beans along with the garbanzos, and leave out or reduce the oil and tahini, using vegetable broth instead for flavor. I have been playing around with the recipe because I like mummus, but the calorie density was too high. One of the commercial brands uses soy beans along with the garbanzos and has twice the protein and half the calories of most others. I plan to try cutting it with root vegetables and eggplant next.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hummus is quite versatile. You can add soy beans or other beans along with the garbanzos, and leave out or reduce the oil and tahini, using vegetable broth instead for flavor. I have been playing around with the recipe because I like mummus, but the calorie density was too high. One of the commercial brands uses soy beans along with the garbanzos and has twice the protein and half the calories of most others. I plan to try cutting it with root vegetables and eggplant next.

Is hummus always raw or are there some variations where it is cooked? I'd like the texture to be more like "moist" and "gooey" than its usual "grainy" or "pasty" texture.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    hummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummushummus
    I felt like this shoul read more like:

hummus hummus hummus hummus hummus hummus hummus hummus pita chip
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This one's from my Vitamix cookbook, so you know it has to be good. :bigsmile:

2 15 oz cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), one drained, one with liquid
    1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 garlic clove, peeled
    1 teaspoon cumin
    salt

Blend all except salt until smooth. Season to taste.
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Chickpea-Cookie-Dough-Recipe-28371473

As good as that recipe sounds, here's one with a few more chickpeas. I've tried it and it comes together so quickly and is deeeelicious. I switch agave out for honey and it works fine.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I recently learned some tricks for making good hummus. Pic of the last batch I made:

newhummus2_sm.jpg

For this batch I blended 4 tablespoons of tahini, juice from a lemon, 1/3 cup of water, a clove of garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and a pinch of salt in the food processor until smooth. Then I added the peeled chickpeas and let it blend away for a few minutes while I did other things. To peel the chickpeas I just sat down in front of the TV and made my way through the can, popping them out of their skins one by one. Requires zero brain power to do and while it's a bit of extra effort, I think it pays off if you want hummus that is smooth.
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    someone already mentioned it but I thought I'd stick the recipe for beetroot hummus up as it is delicious

<url>http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/beetroot-and-walnut-hummus-recipe</url&gt;

also broad bean and mint dip is great, a recipe here

<url>http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4421/crushed-broad-bean-and-mint-bruschetta</url&gt;

I would def add some lemon juice though.

Admittedly neither of these are actually hummus, I'd say go for a standard recipe and through in some herbs or chilli or whatever.

OR go for the wonderfully named frijolemole

<url>http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/pulses/frijolemole.html</url&gt;
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    link posting failure. Whatevs.