Father of two wanting to be around for grand kids

Options
Well,

My wife has made it clear to me that my kids are getting older and I need to do something to insure I am around (I am 37) for them when they get older. My daughter (13) asked me if I was going to take care of my self so that I can be around to walk her down the isle. I was not thinking I was that bad. I am about 80 lbs less then my largest weight but 40lbs heavier then when I met my wife. So its time for me to drop 125lbs. I want to do that over the next 13 months. Yep that will be hard but my goal is to have it gone by September of next year.

So that is my introduction and I am hoping to be a regular attendee here.

Tony

1814934.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Tony,

I am pretty much in the same boat, I have 2 kids, and at 314 with a history of heart disease in my family I had to do something. The best thing you can do it just do it, get started small and work up from there. I wish you the best of luck!
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tony, kids are a great motivator, Look forward to hearing about your progress over the next year!
  • nosidda
    nosidda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this program for almost one month and I love it. I have already lost eleven pounds. There are so many reports to view the progress you are making instead of just measuring your weight all of the time. I would encourage you to log everything every day even if you have a bad eating day. The accountability peace of this program is what makes it work. Good luck and I too am excited to hear about your success.
  • bravestwarrior
    Options
    Welcome to this group. I am new here also and I love it already. I have lost 10 lbs since I started. Mainly b/c I didn't really realize just how many calories I was eating every day. I have found myself more motivated also. Everyone has been really nice here. Feel free to add me to your friend list. Good Luck

Tina
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey Tony, I've got 3 little ones and know exactly how you feel man. Kids ARE a great motivation to turn things around. Nice, steady slow progress, we'll get there for sure. Keep it up, and feel free to add me to your friends list as well.

Mark
  • Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Good Luck, Tony.....hey, Tina, I just joined and would love to encourage one another......I'm a missionary in Peru, but have struggled all my life with my weight problem. Like you I had no idea I was eating that many calories in a day.....a real eye opener.....feel free to add me as a friend....thanks, Michele
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    From the mouths of babes. Good for you for listening! You are in the right place for support and inspiration. You will make your children proud and your grand children more proud! Feel free to add me as a friend and good luck with your efforts!:drinker:
  • BeaFit
    BeaFit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I have been on one week and so far so good. I joined because two friends of mine joined and have lost 40+ pounds in about 5 months. I have the same goal--be around for my daughter and grandkids. You can achieve your goal and the MFP community will be here to cheer you on! Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck to you!
  • tfagler
    tfagler Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Tony: I am right there with you. I have a family history of HD so I don't want to play with it.
    Shel2Peru: That has to be a fun experince being a missionary down there. how long?
    BeaFit: group and peer pressure (in a good way) is awesome motivation. I hope we all have great success

For everyone else! Thanks for the words of encouragment and I hope to be on board with you all for the next year!

Thanks,

Tony