Type 1 Diabetes

Options
Hello all:
I just recently got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (I'm 30) and since leaving the hospital (went into DKA) I've been having a really hard time eating very much. Doctors want me to eat around 45 grams of carbs a meal, or to at least try to eat the same amount at each meal. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to eat or diabetic friendly meals. I've been eating nothing but cheese, crackers, and gatorade but am starting to get my appetite back finally.

Replies

• Starterbeauty
    Options
    Hi, i was also recently diagnosed with type 1, (i'm 25), i went into DKA to and eating enough carbs was so difficult when i was first released from the hospital. I started with lots of breads and potatoes just to fill the 45gram requirement but I wanted to lose weight so i started to look into other things with carbs. I found alot of fruits & veggies had carbs so I started to load up on them..apples, oranges, bananas all 15grams...peas, corn, 1cup is 30grams..a tbsp of jelly with tooast is 30gr. Hope this helps, I know it sucks so much being type 1, I feel like figuring out what you can eat is harder than giving yourself shots of insulin or for me it is. But we will make it through. Good luck!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=diabetes might help find people with real life experiences.

http://www.diabetes-book.com/index.shtml also has a forum as well as the guy's guide to diabetes. He talks of eating 45g of carbs per day, not per meal, so there's a big difference in approach between eating what you need and eating an excess of carbs and back-titrating with insulin.
  • shortxtina
    shortxtina Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies. I've been a T1 diabetic since I was 10. It's tough but it's doable. If you are looking for help with you nutrition I would highly suggest meeting with a nutritionist, if you haven't already. I meet with mine every few months to go back over my diet, trouble shoot and make changes as necessary. There is no exact science that I have found. Unfortunately, we are also women and therefore different times of the month can make us have higher blood sugars etc. As you start to learn your body better and how it reacts to certain foods, exercise, insulin you will be able to make better adjustments that allow you to keep your sugars under control. Starterbeauty, I've been battling my weight for years and I've found rigorous exercise and strict adherence to certain caloric and carb intakes are really helpful, just watch the lows. And I am far from perfect, so that strict adherence to diet... definitely hard for me for long periods of time. But when I can do it, I see the results.

As for carb options to get to 45carbs I always look for foods lower on the glycemic index so wheat breads, brown rice, beans, legumes, fruits etc. This way they don't spike your blood sugar like white breads, potatos, white rice might. Eating Well.com has diabetes friendly recipes and meal plans... http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/diabetic_diet_center
    Not sure how they are created but something to look at. Also the ADA may have cookbooks and recipes that you can access for more diabetic friendly meals.

Hope this is helpful and Good Luck!!!
  • JulieSchilling
    JulieSchilling Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi! I was diagnosed at 27 and I'm 35 now...I was in dka for a year because I was misdiagnosed for a year...the unfortunate side effect was I could eat whatever I wanted and lost weight like crazy (had no idea why) so when it was figured out I kept eating that way and now battling more bulge than ever- but getting there. So just wanted to say friend me/ message me if you need any support even just to say man this sucks! :-)