A device to track CALS burnt off

Options
Ive seen this ,

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9134609.htm

I'm after something i can attach to myself so i can track my Calories burnt on my rowing machine , the rowing machine doesn't give me accurate readings , it said 100kals burned in 30 minutes of moderate rowing. It is a cheap rowing machine with one of them cheap kal/timers on it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use a BodyMedia FIT, so far, it's the most accurate on the market. www.bodymedia.com
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I use a BodyMedia FIT, so far, it's the most accurate on the market. www.bodymedia.com

Yup, Bodymedia/Bodybugg is 90% accurate and you can wear it all day long to tell you how many calories you really burn, even if it's your lazy day. I love mine.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Couldn't link to work.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yep, Fitbit's are great, I've got the One which also tracks your sleep. I've had it since January can't live without it now.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

Yup, Bodymedia/Bodybugg is 90% accurate and you can wear it all day long to tell you how many calories you really burn, even if it's your lazy day. I love mine.
    If you're in the UK you will need a kifit. They licence the device over here.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor.
    Polar FT7.
  • IbiH
    Options

If you're in the UK you will need a kifit. They licence the device over here.

Kifit charge you, fitbit is free.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia Fit. It's the bomb! :happy:
  • clobern
    Options
    Does FitBit do the same thing as a bodybugg/bodymedia? Does it track calories when I am sitting on my butt watching TV, using heat sensors and various other things? Or is it basically a glorified pedometer?
  • elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    body media fit is where its at! :D
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You don't want a Fitbit for tracking calorie burn during exercise. I love mine (I have the Flex now and had a Zip for many months). but its not meant for that. You need a heart rate monitor of some sort. I use a Zephyr that works with Bluetooth so I can connect it to something like Endomonodo or Runtastic (both of which have rowing exercise categories).
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think a heart rate monitor would you give you the best estimate of calories burned during exercise. The bodymedia, fitbit, etc. I believe are used for all day calculations of movement.

edit: ^^ I also use the zephyr with Endomondo and it works great, seamlessly syncs data to MyFitnessPal.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor.
    Polar FT7.

I LOVE mine. I got it for fairly cheap on Amazon, too. The Polar FT4 is half the price and actually does the same thing. Good luck!
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can use the body media with the app and it will track your workouts on your smart phone. Or you can just do the all day thing.
  • IbiH
    Options
    Does FitBit do the same thing as a bodybugg/bodymedia? Does it track calories when I am sitting on my butt watching TV, using heat sensors and various other things? Or is it basically a glorified pedometer?

Yes fitbit tracks calories when sitting on my but!!! But I can clip it to my bra, can't be doing with something strapped to my chest.

I love it but that's my opinion.
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree that a heart rate monitor is the way to go. The harder you work the higher your heart rate, no matter what activity you're doing. Be sure to use a calculator, though, that takes into account your gender, weight and age.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

I'm not sure why people want to track calories burned while watching TV.
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options

What she said!!! I also have a Fitbit!! had that before I got the BodyMedia and didn't want to waste money so I use both! lol
  • TonyRi
    TonyRi Posts: 65
    Options
    Being from the UK as another member just said i cant use the body media technology i don't think. I will invest in a Polar heart rate monitor. Seems to be the way forward.

Thanks for all the replies :D
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar F4 for pretty cheap online. It's a lot more accurate than the gym machines and easy to work! Highly recommended.
  • clobern
    Options
    I agree that a heart rate monitor is the way to go. The harder you work the higher your heart rate, no matter what activity you're doing. Be sure to use a calculator, though, that takes into account your gender, weight and age.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

I'm not sure why people want to track calories burned while watching TV.

Because the Bodybugg I have shows me my TDEE which is the best way to know what deficit to eat at to actually lose weight in a healthy way. I know I burn about 2.7 calories per minute when sleeping, working, sitting and doing nothing... and it also shows me that I burn 800 or 900 calories doing my cardio in the afternoon, 220 calories doing my DVD in the morning, a couple hundred calories throughout the day doing my walks. Everyone else uses a calculation to figure out their TDEE. I found that MFP is WAY underestimating how many calories I burn each day. The Bodybugg tells me exactly what I need to know.

But that is just my opinion.