Taking a cruise. What do I eat?!?!?

Options
Hello MFP peeps! I've had a great 6 months on MFP and have been very successful eating my normal foods on my routine and logging in everyday. I am going on a 5 day Carnival Cruise in July and I am feeling super nervous about not being able to log in and not knowing what to eat on the ship. Does anyone cruise frequently? Any suggestions on what I should stick to eating? Any suggestions on what is really good, but healthy? Thanks guys!

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    It's just a week. Watch your portions, but eat what you want. You can't do a lot of damage in a week.

When I went on a Disney cruise last fall I managed to consume as much as 6,000 calories on most days (free self serve ice cream!), but I walked and swam a lot and took the stairs. When I got home I was up 2 pounds (water weight). That 2 pounds was gone within a week of getting back to my normal routine.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what kind of crazy food are you expecting on this cruise? i've been on a cruise before, and you need to be mindful of portions, especially at the breakfast and lunch buffets.

if you've been doing this for six months, you should more or less know what kind of portions you should be eating. don't sweat it too much, but don't go filling your plate up on the first round of the buffet. and make sure you have some fruit or veggies at every meal.

drinks add up, especially the sugary fruity drinks. they're fun poolside, but be mindful of how many you have. generally pools aren't all-inclusive, so knowing that you have to pay for booze might be a factor. ask for a glass of water with every drink.
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Haven't been on a cruise, but my mom's friend said she stuck to staying out of the areas with food unless it was a normal time to eat. She ate a lot of steamed/grilled seafood, salads, and fruits, and somehow lost weight when she came back.

Otherwise, I'm interested to see what others have to say about this!
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    I would think they would have a variety of choices :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Fruit and vegetables will always be reasonable calorie-wise, and when it comes to meals you can opt for your sauce/dressing on the side.

That said, it's a cruise. It doesn't happen every other week. Enjoy yourself, and if you really wanna have something, have it.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you stick to the same principal that you would use eating out. Stick to lean protiens and veggies. Ask for sauce on the side, and stay away from the deserts as much as possible. The cruise lines usually have many options for people who have different dietary needs. You should be able to eat health. Allow yourself soem treats, and record everything in a diary that you can enter when you get back.

Also, plan on gaining about 5 lbs.

Have Fun!
  • Kimi0371
    Kimi0371 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Carnival, but we've cruised two other lines and there were ALWAYS healthy options, with calories and some other nutritional info marked right on the menu. Even select buffet items were marked as healthy fair.
    For me, I never log on vacation. I try to stick to healthy foods and stop when my body tells me I'm full. I indulge in moderation. And I choose active options so that I'm exercising a lot. It's vacation! You can lay off a little bit and still stay healthy.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    After six months I am pretty sure you know in your head what is healthy (as close to natural as possible). To me, the real question is-this is probably a once in a life time experience. Do you REALLY want to spend five days obsessing over how many calories are in every single bite or do you want to enjoy the experience and get back on the horse when you get back?

Just my two cents worth-I have never been on a cruise but when I do, I am going to enjoy the experience and take advantage of everything that is offered.

HAVE FUN!
  • klabasik
    klabasik Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am also going a cruise in July, and I am going to start each day with room service but instead of a bagel, I am going to do fruit, and coffee, but I am going to bring 7 days of 100 calorie snacks that I eat at home. Once I blow breakfast, I feel like my day is shot and to heck with it. Also, there is food all the time available, people over indulge and eat everything all day. I feel like it is possible to eat right, you just have to be smart. First cruise I went on, I gained 10lbs. The second one, I maintained. And I didnt go to the gym, or run on the track, but of course you can! Also, I brought my own tumbler cup with a lid, and I fill it with water a couple times a day, so I stay hydrated.
  • paradise444
    paradise444 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been on a few cruises, and yes, there is a ton of food, good and bad. For breakfast, I would have 1 egg/egg white omelet with veggies, and whole grain toast, maybe some fruit. Lunch was a lot of greens, veggies of all kinds, and either 1/2 cup of beans (chick peas, black beans, lima, etc...) OR, i would opt for about 2-3 oz of chicken breast. Dinner is like lunch, mix it up where protein is concerned, beans at one meal, meat or poultry or fish at the next. I had no carbs during the day, only at breakfast. Its very tempting, as the cruise ships serve alot of food, desserts included, and I stuck to my plan and did not gain any weight. I also went to the gym on the ship when possible. Plan out in advance what you plan to eat, if you are at the buffet. Walk around and check it out first, then plan what you want to eat. Obviously you don't want to obsess about what you eat, you want to have a good vacation. If I would not put any thoughts into this, I would probably gain up to 7-8 pounds in a week. Don't forget, eating out, there is always alot of sodium, so don't panic if you gain weight, alot of it could be water. I don't add any salt to my foods at home, but every time I eat out, I expect a few pounds of water weight. Figure out your portion sizes before hand, since you won't have access to MFP. You can eyeball the potions, and do some research in advance on what types of snacks you want to have in between meals, bring some nuts from home, take some apples and bananas from the buffet in the morning, and have them later on...whatever works for you! Have a great time!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Dude it's a cruise! Enjoy yourself.

Whatever weight you do or don't gain can easily be lost when you get back.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Lots of bacon.
  • Haima
    Haima Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of the fruit and vegetables!!! They have so many options on the salad bar : )
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Dude it's a cruise! Enjoy yourself.

Whatever weight you do or don't gain can easily be lost when you get back.

I agree with this!
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Don't most ships have a fitness center these days? Set your alarm earlier then the family/friends and take in a workout every morning you can. Also when you eat off the buffet load it up with salad first see how full you are then find a good protein. Most important have fun
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    all da foodz! :wink:

Seriously, drink a lot of water, do a lot of walking, feel free to try some new foods.

I've never been on Carnival, but Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Disney all had a lot of light/healthy choices. And actually, most of the dining room meals were very good, not much in the way of fried greasiness, unless you went to any of the specialty burger or pizza joints or donut shops. The froyo stations by the pools were a nice treat. If you go to the buffets, you should be able to take a peek at it all and decide what you want, instead of loading up at the first station and then seeing that there are 5 other ones with more things you want. Don't get everything the first day, remember if you saw something that looked good and get it the next day. Dining room meal portions aren't huge, and they're getting away from the huge midnight buffets. Is it tempting to eat all the time since there's always SOMETHING available. Most of all, ENJOY YOURSELF! :drinker:
  • jennwren77
    jennwren77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been on a few cruises and the last one was a Carnival cruise in March. I had the same concerns about options and logging, but if you've already developed healthier eating habits, you will be fine. All of the buffet style options will make you feel overwhelmed, but remember you are on vacation so enjoy yourself!

For dinner, I always made the salad bar my first stop and ate a large salad. If I went to the buffet, I would look for grilled chicken or fish options and still get more veggies. If I chose something that wouldn't be considered "healthy", I just got a little of it to taste, not an entire serving. There is always fruit available, unsweetened tea and sugar free dessert options. I can't say every meal I had was 100% healthy because like I said it's vacation. I did have a burger and cheese fries, pizza and even a slice of cheese cake.

The buffets are open all day so you can eat smaller meals throughout the day or if not, just be careful with your portioning. I didn't log or write down anything while I was away and I didn't gain weight or feel deprived.

There is also a fitness center and a track on the upper levels. There's a nightclub, you can go dancing or honestly just walk around the ship all day :-)

Don't worry, you've had six months of MFP experience and I'm sure you will make the right choices.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Just watch your portions. That's all the management you need. They have plenty of fruit on the breakfast bar also and for lunches and dinners you can do light salads and fruit also.....
    Just enjoy yourself 100% of the time and watch your portions.
  • tiatiamaria
    tiatiamaria Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow! great info. thanks for the help guys! You are right- I need to just enjoy myself but I have this irrational fear that this week will make all of my habits and discipline spiral out of control.
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My mom and I went on a two-week cruise a couple of years ago. We made a deal that if we ate at the buffet, we would have ONE plate, no repeats, and half that plate would be filled with vegetables. We also allowed ourselves dessert. Although to be honest the mousse was the only thing worth having. It helps that I didn't think the food on our cruise was all that good.

We also took the stairs all the time because being squashed into glass elevators with a tonne of people who's motto is "there is room for one more" was not fun.

Ended up losing 5lbs on that trip.

Good luck to you!