Nights out and alcohol!

Options

Replies

• goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    slow down your rate of vodka consumption a little:

"Try to alternate a drink with a big glass of water. " (Good advice - you'll be glad in the morning)

Arrive fashionably late

Talk or sing more at every opportunity. (Mouths can't multi-task)

Choose the longest queue at the bar and let everyone go before you (saves money and makes you popular)

Act a little drunker than you are - it is fun and makes you feel uninhibited but costs no calories and saves your liver.
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It depends on what she considers her 'night out'

I've had 'nights out' start at lunch time, and end at 4am or later so 19 drinks over that period works out as just over 1 per hour, hardly alot. since your body would of burnt off a few in the whole duration. Especially if you start off in someones house, then its alot more.

Just prelog the estimated calories and have some sort of deficient before during and after, then it will be fine and dandy. And since her measurements are 25ml and americans seem to have about 40ml, its not as many drinks being relative to you. Although where i live is closer to that wiith 35ml a standard measurement.

Go enjoy yourself

Yeah, my nights out can last quite a long time! I'll definitely pre-log, and hopefully that will help me stick to a moderate limit. I've got a decent deficit from this week, so I'm sure that will definitely cover any alcohol I drink :)

Haha, I'm definitely not drinking 40ml shots! That would be almost a double over here, so that's probably why there is a lot of confusion in this post (although I'm not denying I do still drink a lot when I DO drink)
  • NadineSabbagh
    Options
    slow down your rate of vodka consumption a little:

"Try to alternate a drink with a big glass of water. " (Good advice - you'll be glad in the morning)

Arrive fashionably late

Talk or sing more at every opportunity. (Mouths can't multi-task)

Choose the longest queue at the bar and let everyone go before you (saves money and makes you popular)

Act a little drunker than you are - it is fun and makes you feel uninhibited but costs no calories and saves your liver.

Haha, this made me smile, because I actually do all of this but it's usually unintentionally!!

I always alternate with a glass of water - but it's purely because I'm usually skint and can't afford the alcohol! (or the barman is incredibly attractive and I want a chance to chat to him, without having to spend money on alcohol :P )

I'm constantly late for EVERYTHING! Even when I'm early, I somehow manage to be late because the time has changed or something or other :P

I talk and sing like a crazy person - people have a hard time shutting me up on nights out! I'm actually surprised that I manage to drink the amount I do, considering I'm always yapping away... perhaps I inhale it through my nose with a straw without noticing?

I always let everyone go in front of me at the bar because I feel rude barging in - even if I'm already at the front!!

And people generally think I'm drunk even when I'm just being myself, so that shouldn't be a problem!

Hehe, thank you for your advice :)
  • hol_lou85
    hol_lou85 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    the 19 drink theory is based on singles, but honestly, easily done if drinking doubles, or even "home" measures. i usually log it as best as i can so i know how many calories i have gone over, but i dont worry about the amount of calories as im good the rest of the time.
  • NadineSabbagh
    Options
    the 19 drink theory is based on singles, but honestly, easily done if drinking doubles, or even "home" measures. i usually log it as best as i can so i know how many calories i have gone over, but i dont worry about the amount of calories as im good the rest of the time.

Yeah, 9-10 doubles is very easily consumed on a night out in the UK (and perhaps other countries, I don't know!) And, if an American single measure is roughly 40ml, then that's almost the equivalent of a UK double - so I understand why people are quite shocked in this post!

Just want to say also that you look AMAZING in your comparison pictures! Congratulations on your weightloss, it's fantastic!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best! Just seems like 19 of anything isn't going to help of diet of any kind. :) Glad you are realizing that it was too much! :)
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't bother talking about alcohol on this site lol, all the irrational "you have a problem" people come right out of the woodwork. Nothing wrong with killing off a bottle of liquor with a friend in a night, or going out and drinking your face off now and then.

Just do it a little less often, and eat in a deficit the day before and after, drink alotta water and you'll be good to go.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I love wine, but it's a huge hinderance to my diet.

When I was successful in my weight loss efforts, I limited it to 2 drinks on Friday and 2 on Saturday. Nothing M-F.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Yeah, 9-10 doubles is very easily consumed on a night out in the UK (and perhaps other countries, I don't know!) And, if an American single measure is roughly 40ml, then that's almost the equivalent of a UK double - so I understand why people are quite shocked in this post!

Just want to say also that you look AMAZING in your comparison pictures! Congratulations on your weightloss, it's fantastic!

Did I see somewhere earlier in the thread you said you were on around 1200 - 1400 per day?

You don't look like you have much to lose, seems like your target should be a little higher than that? unless you're particularly short?
  • NadineSabbagh
    Options

Did I see somewhere earlier in the thread you said you were on around 1200 - 1400 per day?

You don't look like you have much to lose, seems like your target should be a little higher than that? unless you're particularly short?

I'm 5'6", so I'm not particularly short, but I do still have around 70lbs to lose which is why my deficit is quite significant for the time being! I guess it's kinda hard to see how much I have to lose as I don't have a full body shot up!
  • stl_nana
    stl_nana Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use this website sometimes.

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Great reference site. I'm always playing guessing games when I indulge :drinker:
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I probably drink more than most my friends here on MFP. I am unapologetic about it. I like to drink and the weekends are my jam. Its the only time my DH and I get to let loose and even then sometimes I cant because I work every other weekend.

I do lower calorie during the week. I need to start incorporating more exercise though on the weekend because my weight isnt going where I would like it. Anyway, good luck OP in trying to find a balance.
  • david_swinstead
    Options
    I'm 5'6", so I'm not particularly short, but I do still have around 70lbs to lose which is why my deficit is quite significant for the time being! I guess it's kinda hard to see how much I have to lose as I don't have a full body shot up!

Ok so I admit I Facebook stalked you to see better photos. You really don't look like you have 70lbs to lose, what are you basing this on?

Also, make your Facebook profile more private :P
  • NadineSabbagh
    Options

Ok so I admit I Facebook stalked you to see better photos. You really don't look like you have 70lbs to lose, what are you basing this on?

Also, make your Facebook profile more private :P

Haha! I would probably think that was slightly creepy, if it wasn't exactly the kind of thing I would do myself :p I always thought my profile WAS private, but it's clearly not :p

I'm basing it on the fact that, according to my bmi, I'm 70-odd pounds overweight :/ and that's JUST to get into the healthy range. If I want to be in the middle of the healthy range then I've still got another 90lbs to go!

I have some horrendous photos on my Facebook, I'm surprised you don't think I have that much to lose haha! I suppose I carry my weight quite evenly over my body, so that might disguise it a tiny bit?
  • david_swinstead
    Options
    Haha! I would probably think that was slightly creepy, if it wasn't exactly the kind of thing I would do myself :p I always thought my profile WAS private, but it's clearly not :p

I'm basing it on the fact that, according to my bmi, I'm 70-odd pounds overweight :/ and that's JUST to get into the healthy range. If I want to be in the middle of the healthy range then I've still got another 90lbs to go!

I have some horrendous photos on my Facebook, I'm surprised you don't think I have that much to lose haha! I suppose I carry my weight quite evenly over my body, so that might disguise it a tiny bit?

Oh gosh, do NOT base your targets on BMI! BMI is a rough guideline, at best. It's nothing more than a calculation based on weight and height, it doesn't take into account your frame or your body composition.

For the record, my BMI is 31.5, I'm supposedly obese and need to lose 84lbs to be in the middle of the health category.

I know I have a few pounds to lose but I'm clearly not obese and 84lbs is ridiculous. It's a load of tosh.

Take your measurements and track those instead of tracking BMI.

Alternatively invest in scales that measure body fat - they aren't particularly accurate but they're better than using a BMI.

There's no way you need to lose 70lbs.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, do NOT base your targets on BMI! BMI is a rough guideline, at best. It's nothing more than a calculation based on weight and height, it doesn't take into account your frame or your body composition.

For the record, my BMI is 31.5, I'm supposedly obese and need to lose 84lbs to be in the middle of the health category.

I know I have a few pounds to lose but I'm clearly not obese and 84lbs is ridiculous. It's a load of tosh.

Take your measurements and track those instead of tracking BMI.

Alternatively invest in scales that measure body fat - they aren't particularly accurate but they're better than using a BMI.

There's no way you need to lose 70lbs.

She's not a muscular man. Unless something is wacko with the calculator, the BMI range is probably reasonable. If she's ~220, she can reasonably aim to lose 70 lbs/5 st. If she's 180, obviously something is amuck.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Only having a few drinks isn't really an option for me

Probably want to deal with this issue. More important than calories.

I mean on 'big' nights out when everyone is drinking, dancing etc. I'm perfectly ok with only having a few drinks if I'm just out for a social lunchtime thing, and I'm fine with drinking nothing at all. It's purely on these nights out that I feel uncomfortable if I've only had a few drinks.

You feeling uncomfortable is your issue, seek help addressing your inability to control yourself with alcohol
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    We go all out on Thursday nights - usually 5 doubles rum and diet cokes so 10 ounces of rum. I do a double work out. Cut back on breakfast and lunch calories by focusing on just protein and veggies and then factor in chicken wings. I shoot for going no more than 500 cals over.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You know it's amateur night when someone starts ordering 19 vodka and cokes.......

LOL.

But seriously people, a shot is 1.5 ounces, not one. So 19 1oz drinks is really like 12-13 real drinks. Know what that's called?

Breakfast.
  • luvtokayak24
    Options
    .. you drink MORE than 19 drinks on a "big" night out? yeah i think you need to focus on that right there before you worry about the calorie content of 19+ drinks! I agree. Even 5 to 6 drinks for a small woman is beyond enough. I'm around the same age, and none of my friends drink that much not even at university. Not being critical, but seriously, it's dangerous!

Pretty much sums up my thoughts!

^^ um, OP, seek help. And fast. If you are drinking that much you have an issue.

But in regards to how I fit it in - i still have wine at least once a week - i workout harder so I earn it. IT fits perfectly and if it doesn't, I don't order it.