Quick, easy, low-cal, vegetarian Indian dish--Channa Masala

Options
angrypanda
angrypanda Posts: 20 Member
Last night, I made some Channa Masala, and Indian dish that contains garbanzo beans. If you enjoy the spiciness of Indian dishes, or just the taste of Indian spices, this is a winner. You can make this dish as spicy or mild as you want. It packs a fair amount of protein and fiber for a non-meat dish.

My husband is a vegetarian, so this dish is a favorite in our household. It's very low-cal, but very filling and healthy at the same time. My quick and vague instructions are as follows (I don't really measure ingredients, so sorry that it's pretty general). This makes several servings, but with yummy leftovers! You can always half the recipe pretty easily.

Ingredients:
- 2 - 3 large tomatoes (I used 2.5 large ones)
- 1 large minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 small potatoes (I've also made it without potatoes, and it's still delicious)
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- Garam Masala (this is a mixture of several different Indian spices. I found a bag of this at World Market for less than $2. You can look up what a typical Garam Masala mixture contains--it actually varies from brand to brand from what I've seen.)
- About 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt
- Turmeric

Directions:

1. Chop tomatoes, onions, and potatoes.
2. Combine the tomatoes and onions in large pot with a little bit of water (I threw in maybe about a half cup, you can add more later as necessary), the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic and Garam Masala. Again, I didn't measure the Garam Masala, but I'm guessing I threw in about 3 generous teaspoons.
3. Cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes start breaking down.
4. Add chopped potatoes and bring to a simmer. Stir regularly to avoid any sticking. If your mixture seems too dry, add a little bit of water. It will thicken later, so don't worry if it seems a little watery.
5. Simmer until potatoes are cooked to your liking.
6. I added salt, turmeric, and cayenne pepper to taste. That's it!

We ate it with Western Bagel Alternative Pita Bread (110 cal per pita).

It's a bit rough, but we estimated that a 1-cup serving (which is a LOT and very filling) is somewhere around 180 calories or less. It depends on the size of your potatoes, tomatoes, and onion, but the garbanzo beans we used are 110 calories per 1/2 cup serving. Our ratio of potatoes to beans was fairly close, so I'm guessing 180 is on the high end since the potatoes and beans make up the bulk of the calories.

If you give it a try, I hope you enjoy it!

Replies

• Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Sounds yummy! My husband thinks every dinner must have meat, so I might try it with some chicken. I'm the same way about measuring. Here is a website that I use to calculate nutrition info for my recipes.

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Sounds great ( and easy), thanks for sharing!
  • Andreamofme
    Andreamofme Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds Good
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting. one question, the potatoes are raw, right?
  • angrypanda
    angrypanda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, you put the potatoes in raw, and then simmer until they are cooked to your liking.
  • xarchie1980x
    xarchie1980x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am indian, and we make channa masala all the time at our house.

The way i make it is....first I blend onions and tomato with 1/4 cup water in a blender to make a puree of them. Then i take a pan (with lid) and add the puree in it. Add only 2 tablespoon of oil (use any u like, i like olive oil) for 2 cans of garbanzo beans.

Now, let the onion-tomato puree simmer on low-flame till it comes to boil, and gets reduced to half. Then add the canned beans to it; along with salt, turmeric powder (optional), red chili powder (as spicy as you want) and Garam masala (again, as spicy as u want). I like some gravy in the beans, so I add some water in it. You can make it thick (the indian way) or add more water to make it soup-style.

Now, cover pan with a lid, and let it boil for another 15-20 minutes.

Throw in few dried/or fresh mint leaves while boiling for a fresh minty flavor.

Serve with pita bread....rice....or just as a bean soup! :)
  • xarchie1980x
    xarchie1980x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    also, for 2 cans garbanzo beans...i use one medium onion, and 2-3 medium sized tomatoes :)
  • Atomaszewski
    Options
    Looks yummy, I'm going to try it out tonight.
    Thank You!!!!!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    yum... thanks for the idea! I was looking for a high-protein, high-fiber meal that was vegetarian. I love chana masala, so i dont know why i didnt think of that! I have all the ingredients i need even :) I serve it with a dollop of organic non-fat plain yogurt to cut the heat (because i make it really spicy!)
  • glezvero
    glezvero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I loved your recipe... my boyfriend loved it!!!!!
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Will definitely need to make this- I love this dish. Thanks for sharing.
  • hightopp
    Options
    That looks really yummy!
  • SharonDelorey
    Options
    bump!
  • MTDork87
    Options
    Sounds amazing, will try after the shopping trip on Monday to pick up the spice!
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have to try this! Thanks for sharing!
  • adrienc
    Options
    I will try it - thanks for sharing!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Bump! Love indian cuisine but don't get around to making it as much as I should.... So many good veg dishes!