Is 1200 too much?

Options
Not what it sounds like, I don't WANT to go lower, but it's been going very slowly and it seems like even when I push myself to be good and work out several times a week, I have the same results as when I eat half a pizza one day. I've been losing 1lb a week so far, and it's slowing from that now. I know I know - the slower it comes off, the longer it lasts - but it's hard to keep my motivation up when I know that this time last year I lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks and now I'm praying for a pound a week. Just wondering if maybe 1200 is too much even for me? I've calculated my TDEE and it's much higher than that though. Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: As an FYI, I exercise 5 times a week with both strength and cardio

Replies

• natmadc
    natmadc Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started out at 1200 lost a little than it stopped I end up calculating my TDEE-15%( at first I did - 20% but I like to eat) and upped my calories and what do you know I started losing again, And I can actually eat! But that was just my experience.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    15lbs in 6 weeks is more than 2lbs per week. That's not sustainable for most people, certainly not if they want to be healthy while they do it, and especially if they are already at a somewhat normal/reasonable weight.

Adjust your expectations.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    If you think you're eating low enough calories already then the only option left is burning calories. Exercise!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You're only 11 pounds from your goal. It SHOULD be slow at this point. Ideally, you should set your goals to lose a half pound a week.

Ignore the scale and track your progress through measurements, photos and how clothes fit.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    What's happening is normal and expected...adjust your thinking. You shouldn't be eating less than 1200...you should probably be eating a bit more, in fact. Weight loss isn't a linear occurance....x-y doesn't always equal z right away.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    What's happening is normal and expected...adjust your thinking. You shouldn't be eating less than 1200...you should probably be eating a bit more, in fact. Weight loss isn't a linear occurance....x-y doesn't always equal z right away.
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I may toy around with loosening up the calories a bit but thanks for the reality check. I guess I should be taking it as a good sign at this point.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It's too much for lunch. Too much for me anyway. It would be a bit on the low side for dinner, though.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    No, it's too little.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    What's your height, weight, activity level, body fat%? You said you calculated TDEE, so I assume you've already run your numbers to get a pretty accurate estimate. Take a 10-15% cut from that and eat that amount every day.

I eat 1,200 in one sitting for dinner! Nom....nom....nom......
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    15lbs in 6 weeks is more than 2lbs per week. That's not sustainable for most people, certainly not if they want to be healthy while they do it, and especially if they are already at a somewhat normal/reasonable weight.

Adjust your expectations.

Exactly. You've done wonderfully so far, but you'd be better off actually eating MORE and focusing more on measurements versus what the scale says at this point. You have to not only adjust your expectations, but your APPROACH at this point.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You're only 11 pounds from your goal. It SHOULD be slow at this point. Ideally, you should set your goals to lose a half pound a week.

Ignore the scale and track your progress through measurements, photos and how clothes fit.

^^ THIS!!!!

You need to be eating at least BMR as well!! 1200 is too low!!!
  • dolcegl25
    dolcegl25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i been eating the same , and i loss like 1 kg for week, i try to eat 1200 the days that i dont do excersice and 1400 - 1500 the days that i do excersice, i think slow but secure is better that nothing, when you try to do ir really fast you can be un healthy or force your body , i think you are doing fine, just have a little patienceor push a little harder whit the excersice ( sorry if my english is not perfect)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    1200 too much.. Really? Really?
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A cal diet of 1200 works for me, but I am 56 years old, and sedentary. Steadily I have lost in almost a 3 month period. I know it's not for everyone but it works for me and isn't that what it's all about.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    How can one be so unhappy with losing 1 lb a week? Are you joking?
  • Charity2001
    Options

This!! I upped my calories from 1200 to 1500 and now shoot for 55% carbs at every meal, lo & behold my weight loss kick started again.
  • kju52
    kju52 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    sometimes upping the calories and eating more often helps a lot more than decreasing further
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    How can one be so unhappy with losing 1 lb a week? Are you joking?
    I know...I'm ecstatic if I get dead on 1lb loss a week.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    no 1200 is not enough