To the runners: What to eat before a run

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I run a little over 5k when I go for a run. I've discovered that I really don't like running on a full meal. I feel better if I have a snack, then run, then have my meal.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to eat before running is a package of those Nature Valley crunchy granola bars. I eat them at least an hour before my run. They are very lite in my stomach but I feel like they give me energy for a great run. And I like that I can just keep it in my car or purse without worrying about it going bad.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I eat some carbs before I run. A banana or granola bar. Something like that.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Banana 30 mins before I go out does wonders for my energy levels.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I typically just have a normal 300-calorie breakfast and coffee before my morning run or hike [on weekends]. During the work week when I exercise in the morning I usually don't have anything to eat.

Although I could definitely do no breakfast before hiking or running and it wouldn't make a difference -- if I get up and go hike/run straight away. But recently I've been waiting a couple of hours before I go, so I eat something if that's the case.
  • didntfeelcreativetoday
    Options
    I try to eat at least 30 minutes before I run but prefer 1 hour.
    Rice Cake and peanut butter (sometimes a yogurt instead)
    Coffee
    24 almonds or Pumpkin Seeds
    12 oz of water

I run for roughly 40 minutes.

I need food because I can not get motivated without it.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I just started running in April! I love it.

I usually eat a Luna bar half an hour to an hour before I work out. I'm doing the C25K program so the distance is about 2 miles with jogging and walking intervals. But I also run after work and before dinner so I'm usually starving by then and need a snack.

My favorite Luna bar flavor is Chocolate Peppermint Stick. It's like Christmas in your mouth.
  • kathyvstephan
    Options
    bump
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm typically a morning runner. If it's <3-4 miles, I might not eat anything at all though, like you, I definitely feel better if I eat at least something. So, an English muffin with honey usually does the trick for up to 6 miles or so. Anything more (and, sometimes, even for less, depending upon how I'm feeling!), I'll put some almond butter and jelly on the English muffin. As for how long I wait, typically somewhere between 30-45 minutes before heading out. If it's anything longer than 8 miles, I also bring gels with me and eat those along the way, also, as I really bonk if I don't have the extra calories. I think it's because I eat at a deficit (need to drop some pounds!); I might not need to eat as much to fuel the runs if I was eating for maintenance, but don't know that for sure.

And, more important than food, I hydrate before, during, and after (basically constantly); the only thing I'm more sensitive to than nutrition is hydration.

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have to eat either a small snack 1 hour before or a meal 3-4 hours before my runs. I used to run on an empty stomach until my trainer told me I needed to fuel up or I'll start losing muscle and I noticed it was so much better running with some gas in my tank so now I never ever run on an empty stomach. My trainer said that my body will not burn fat to fuel my run if my glycogen stores are depleted because it needs energy right away and burning fat takes too long. The next easiest source of energy is muscle tissue so I might still lose weight but my body composition won't change. I'm sure I'm not explaining it properly but I understood that I have to fuel my workouts if I want to lose fat while building muscle.

If you arent misquoting your trainer then I have to say he is wrong. Running doesn’t eat muscle or break it down as fuel; and in some cases yes, if you run too much your body composition wont change.

Generally the meal you had the night before is what your body is burning and you have enough fuel for 60 -90 minutes of running. If you plan to run longer then you should eat something with simple carbs as it will convert to glycogen quickly - approximately 30 minutes.

Hopefully the below articles will help, I just skimmed them and will read later.

"Bonking, or “hitting the wall” as it is also known, is a well-known phenomena among marathon and ultramarathon runners which occurs when your body runs out of sugar to burn."

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/cience-of-bonking-and-glycogen-depletion/

"Running coaches and exercise physiologist have long debated the potential benefits and possible disadvantages to performing long runs during marathon training on an empty stomach or fully fueled."

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/marathon-long-runs-on-an-empty-stomach-or-fully-fueled/
  • lovekck
    lovekck Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I run between 9-10 miles, three times a week.

For me, a banana, granola, or trail mix (almonds, cranberries, cashews) 30 minutes before leaving is perfect. I don't dare eat anything heavy with in 3 hours prior to running or I will feel it...and feel slower.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If I'm running 3-4 miles in the early morning, I either don't eat or have something small like a Special K bar. If I'm running a long distance in the morning, a slice of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and jelly about 1.5 to 2 hours before is the perfect meal for me. It doesn't upset my stomach, I don't get hungry on my run and I have plenty of energy.

The best thing for you to do is to experiment to find out what works best for you. I recently ran a 10 mile race just eating a banana with some peanut butter before and I was starving before the race even started. That was a rough one. So don't experiment on race day!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before I run, if I run after work then I will have had lunch but at weekends my parkrun starts at 9 so nothing before that or if I run first thing any morning
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    I have to eat either a small snack 1 hour before or a meal 3-4 hours before my runs. I used to run on an empty stomach until my trainer told me I needed to fuel up or I'll start losing muscle and I noticed it was so much better running with some gas in my tank so now I never ever run on an empty stomach. My trainer said that my body will not burn fat to fuel my run if my glycogen stores are depleted because it needs energy right away and burning fat takes too long. The next easiest source of energy is muscle tissue so I might still lose weight but my body composition won't change. I'm sure I'm not explaining it properly but I understood that I have to fuel my workouts if I want to lose fat while building muscle.

If you arent misquoting your trainer then I have to say he is wrong. Running doesn’t eat muscle or break it down as fuel; and in some cases yes, if you run too much your body composition wont change.

Generally the meal you had the night before is what your body is burning and you have enough fuel for 60 -90 minutes of running. If you plan to run longer then you should eat something with simple carbs as it will convert to glycogen quickly - approximately 30 minutes.

Hopefully the below articles will help, I just skimmed them and will read later.

"Bonking, or “hitting the wall” as it is also known, is a well-known phenomena among marathon and ultramarathon runners which occurs when your body runs out of sugar to burn."

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/cience-of-bonking-and-glycogen-depletion/

"Running coaches and exercise physiologist have long debated the potential benefits and possible disadvantages to performing long runs during marathon training on an empty stomach or fully fueled."

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/marathon-long-runs-on-an-empty-stomach-or-fully-fueled/

I'm pretty sure I misquoted my trainer. I can't remember exactly what he said. He's a pretty smart guy and he knows his stuff. I've lost 78 lbs with his help, after all. I guess the most important thing is that I run better when I've had a little something to eat so that's what I do. Thanks for the info!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure I misquoted my trainer. I can't remember exactly what he said. He's a pretty smart guy and he knows his stuff. I've lost 78 lbs with his help, after all. I guess the most important thing is that I run better when I've had a little something to eat so that's what I do. Thanks for the info!

Congrats on the weight loss. I felt that you had misquoted your trainer but I didnt want to offend you. LOL
  • simoneg14
    simoneg14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't run but before i do any exercise I have a banana about 30min-a hour before

I have a banana too before my workouts
  • paprs
    paprs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump! I just got back from a run, and was thinking about this topic the entire time :).
  • Tim_Moelelr
    Options
    Thanks for posting a reply to this controversial subject. I've read mix articles that have strong convictions for both sides of the table. I adhere to the stance that your body will use up the fuel you've provided the previous night before sapping your glycogen storages. I've also read articles that state you can train your body to develop more ketones which will lead to better fat burning.

I've come across a trainer's recommendation that you should look to perform your strength training in the beginning of your workout and then hit up your cardio; however; I find that I crap more easily and probably should take more minerals in before doing the cardio workout.

It's a debatable topic and probably should have it's own thread.
  • toddx318
    toddx318 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Banana is helpful. A spoonful of peanut butter also works.

Others have already suggested both of these here, so I am just here to confirm.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I run at lunchtime during the week, so by then I've had a banana and a packet of oatmeal. I do my long runs on weekends, and I'll have oatmeal at least an hour beforehand. Tomorrow I'm running a half marathon so I'll have two packets of oatmeal beforehand (I don't like to eat Gu or anything during a race.)