PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) and weight lose

Options

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Metformin made me sick as a dog. it was so hard to take it I stopped. I see it has worked for many people, but the side effects are awful :/ I was not happy on Metformin.

You are insulin resistant, that's why it's harder for you to lose weight. Taking Metformin helps fix your problem until you fix your glucose levels which is done by losing weight. Extremely low carb with high fat and high protein is the way to go. You only need to eat enough carbs to allow you to function in a day. For most people it's around 40 grams. Get a blood glucose meter and keep track of your glucose levels. High levels of glucose means hard to lose weight. You want it to be low most of the day.

This is not accurate. Insulin resistance may eventually lead to glucose issues, but many people with IR have normal glucose levels. Also, losing weight doesn't fix the problem for everyone. My issues CAUSED the weight gain. Losing weight has never fixed my insulin levels nor my PCOS symptoms.

Good to know. So if your weight gain is the cause of insulin resistance, what I said earlier holds true but if insulin resistance causes weight gain, you're body is out of luck for using insulin like a normal person even if you lose weight. Is that a fair assessment?

Yup, that's pretty accurate. The only thing that helps is the Metformin and exercise. They both help your body use insulin more normally.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    For me, limiting refined carbs and sticking with mostly whole grains, vegetables, fruit, and other such complex carbs helped me out. I also am very careful to stay under the carb limit each day. I also do not have insulin resistance, but do have PCOS. At this point I am very well managed with Ocella (generic form of Yaz birth control) and eating well along with exercise. If you have insulin resistance, many do well with a lower carb diet. I would talk to your doctor or a nutritionist for some advice of what would work for you specifically. For me though, limiting my refined carbs seemed to be good enough.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My wife has it. She used to be fat. She lost the weight and kept it off. All I can say is, any condition that makes it a little harder to lose weight or a little easier to gain can't keep you overweight forever if you maintain a deficit, so don't make it an excuse. Just congratulate your super-efficient metabolism for being oh so good at wringing every calorie out of your food and storing it so well and move on.

The problem is PCOS is so different from person to person. Some women experience all the horrible symptoms, some don't, I think it all depends on your hormone levels, metabolism, and lifestyle. For a lot of ladies with PCOS, weight loss and a diet low in sugar subsides a lot of the symptoms we deal with having PCOS, usually the more weight you lose, the more the symptoms go away. There are some women that can lose not going low carb, but I do have a lot of friends on here with PCOS and a lot are on some form of low carb diet. I have also tried myself to not have to be a lifetime low carber, I tried a pescatarian diet, ate very healthy, all whole foods, and was gaining weight ON A DEFICIT. You will see all over these boards that it isn't possible, but yes it is when you have a metabolic condition. I don't keep my calories at a set amount now because eating low carb takes a way your appetite, so I eat when I am hungry, and I usually fall between 1500-2000 cals. And I am losing. Wasn't losing in the same calorie allotment when I was eating carbs, so for most of us, watching your carbs really does matter. We have a lot of issues just like a diabetic, so this is why low carb or low glycemic is suggested for PCOS. Going low glycemic is not always enough for us, some have to be more strict to see results.

I don't believe we use having PCOS as an excuse, for people who don't have it, yeah they are going to think that, but until you have struggled with this yourself, you have no idea. I lost 40 lbs last year and just completely stopped. I was still working out, watching everything I ate, nothing. I tried IPOARM, upped my calories, gained weight - went and had my RMR tested, upped my cals to where they told me to, gained weight. I have gained back 20lbs of the 40 I lost last year trying to figure out how to fix my metabolism. I think IPOARM works for a lot of people, but when you have PCOS there is a lot of adjusting that needs to be done, which in the defense of IPOARM, Dan does state that people with metabolic issues may have this problem and need to adjust. My RMR test said I was burning over 2000 cals at rest, but when I ate that eating a regular diet, was gaining. I went back to low carb, actually following a keto approach, around April of this year, and the weight is FINALLY starting to come off. I was stalled out for about 5 months, and was as patient as I could possibly be. It is very difficult keeping motivation and the drive when you are not getting ANY results. And this is a big reason we struggle so much. I see girls on here all the time crying when they haven't lost in a week or two, try months and see how it feels - very discouraging.

Losing weight with PCOS is definitely very difficult for some, not as bad for others, it really all depends on the severity of your personal symptoms. I have high testosterone levels, which is causing hair loss, infertility, etc. But I don't have the issues with facial hair, things of that nature. I have been eating a clean whole food diet with the occasional convenient things for a couple years now, and I think it has helped make a huge difference and rid some of those symptoms for me. I would suggest trying to eat as clean and whole food as you can, there are alot of things in pre packaged processed foods that mess with hormones and add more chaos to our already weakened bodies. I buy meat that has no hormones or antibiotics and try and buy organic or locally grown veggies as often as I can. I was also told by my doctor to stay away from soy because it messes with women's hormones and we don't need more of that lol And soy is in ALOT of pre packaged processed foods, which is another reason I eat the way I do. I would just do the best you can, if you can't afford these things, afford what you can and do your best.

Also, there are a lot of great PCOS websites out there with a lot of good helpful information. My mom gave me this article about a vitamin supplement that works just like Metformin, have to find the article for the name, but I am going to try that and see how it works. I do take supplements, some that are suggested by these websites, to try and help with the hormone inbalances. Another thing worth looking into :)

Sorry for the novel all, I know how it is having this and what a pain in the *ss it is!! If any of you need more support, feel free to friend me, I have lots of great friends on here dealing with the same issues, always help having others that understand :)

Good luck and research, research, research! :flowerforyou:
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I echo what PPs have said about PCOS realizing itself in different ways for different people. I have not gone low carb, though I do not eat alot of white bread / rice and am losing. What I think works for me best is the focus on exercise. If I don't exercise I don't lose weight even at a deficit.

Best of luck to you. Hope you figure out what works for you (it's alot of trial and error I think for those of us with this syndrome) and know that there are others out there who do understand what you are going through.
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost about 30 pounds and am now at a healthy weight. Metformin made me sick, too, but it got better with time (and starting off on a low dose). I only stayed on the metformin long enough to get pregnant. To lose weight, I didn't go low carb, but I did try to keep my carbs around 160/day. I also tried to eat less processed food.

Have you had blood tests done? My ob-gyn ran blood tests to determine that I had PCOS, and my primary care physician ran blood work and found that my fasting glucose levels were high.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost about 30 pounds and am now at a healthy weight. Metformin made me sick, too, but it got better with time (and starting off on a low dose). I only stayed on the metformin long enough to get pregnant. To lose weight, I didn't go low carb, but I did try to keep my carbs around 160/day. I also tried to eat less processed food.

Have you had blood tests done? My ob-gyn ran blood tests to determine that I had PCOS, and my primary care physician ran blood work and found that my fasting glucose levels were high.

160 grams of carbs seems like a lot. Have you tested at home to see if your glucose is still high on your current diet? I'm assuming you know that insulin resistance leads to type 2 diabetes if you leave your glucose levels unchecked?
  • saratf
    Options

160 grams of carbs seems like a lot. Have you tested at home to see if your glucose is still high on your current diet? I'm assuming you know that insulin resistance leads to type 2 diabetes if you leave your glucose levels unchecked?

The ADA recommends 135-180 grams of carbs a day for type 2 diabetes (http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-dietitian/archives/how-many-carbs-can-i-eat-per.html). I recognize that many people need to have fewer, but I've done fine eating this much.

I haven't checked my glucose levels at home because I was never counseled to. My glucose levels were high for me, not necessarily high enough for my doctor to be concerned.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Well, first, try to get a confirmation from you doc.

Losing weight is harder with PCOS. It just is. But if you stay dedicated, and absolutely stop comparing yourself to others, you can do it.

The majority of us PCOS gals have a much higher rate of success by eliminating processed carbs from your diet (white flour, white sugar, etc). Stick to whole grains and get your sugars from fruits. And sadly, you should try to limit these as well.

Most importantly, don't give up. It IS harder. But just imagine how good you'll feel about yourself when you accomplish your goals!

This!! I AM diagnosed and the GP supports low carb/keto eating for me as it helps not only with weight loss but with bloating and water retention. I am able to lose more this way than I am on just a calorie controlled diet. Here on MFP you will come across lots of opinions of people telling you what to do to your body. Do not listen to them, instead, research until your eyeballs bleed and figure out what is going to work with your body chemistry!!!
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I had PCOS and Insulin Resistance 13 months ago. I started low carb dieting and exercising three times a week. I started a diet called "Link and Balance" where you eat 7 protein for every 15 carbs. The weight fell off! I'm currently 95 pounds lighter and no longer have PCOS or Insulin Resistance.

Low carb dieting changed my life and it's really manageable to maintain. If you learn how to portion control, it makes it so much easier! If you're not already low carb dieting start by taking baby steps and using MFP!

I'd love to have you as a friend!
  • MotherOfTwins2010
    MotherOfTwins2010 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I have polycystic ovaries but not the syndrome whatever that means I just assume I have less severe PCOS but I most definitely have the menstrual symptoms and more testosterone than I need. I had trouble losing weight after having my twins and was 5'3" and 155-160 for a year afterwards (pre-pregnancy weight had been 128) I also have bad hormonal acne. I decided to tackle the acne since the weight was getting harder to eliminate. I stopped eating any and ALL dairy. I mean reading labels for everything bread, meats, anything that wasn't fresh fruit or veggies. My acne started to clear up and to my surprise weight started falling off. It got to the point were I was nearly underweight (5'3" and 109) so I sadly had to lower my frequency and intensity to stop losing but anyhow for me the no dairy worked.
    Just a disclaimer I am 99% sure I also have a mild dairy allergy because when I did relax about the dairy and ate some cream sauce after 2 months of abstaining I ended up with joint swelling and pain, migraines, a runny nose, canker sores all over my mouth and nausea within an hour of eating it.
  • MelinaS79
    MelinaS79 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have PCOS only and have recently started a low-carb (under 70g/day) and high protein (between 90-100g) eating plan... And in just under a week I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel. I also have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. The combination of diet and medication is astounding in the way I feel.
  • Tranquil_Miche
    Options
    Thanks for the thread. I lost 45 pounds relatively easily and consistently every week, but then I stopped losing. I've been teetering within ten pounds for months maybe even close to a year now. I went to see a doctor regarding a separate issue, and boom I was diagnosed with PCOS. I take Metformin to help. The doctor advised me to eat a low carb diet, and do lots and lots of exercise. It is just so discouraging when you try so hard and see absolutely no results. I have not found a regimen yet that has worked, so this thread has given me some fresh ideas on how to work around and manage PCOS.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

The ADA recommends 135-180 grams of carbs a day for type 2 diabetes (http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-dietitian/archives/how-many-carbs-can-i-eat-per.html). I recognize that many people need to have fewer, but I've done fine eating this much.

I haven't checked my glucose levels at home because I was never counseled to. My glucose levels were high for me, not necessarily high enough for my doctor to be concerned.

ADA recommendations are high. Ask any type 2 diabetic that actively monitor's their glucose level and you'll get a much different answer. Their standards are for the general population and everyone's reaction to food is different. Diabetes is your responsibility, not what you read on a website, and the best way to take responsibility of your own health is to test yourself throughout the day with a glucose monitor.

I often visit the website below because there's a free chatroom that allows you to ask any diabetic questions. Most people come on at night around 8pm central time. You can ask anyone yourself if you don't believe me.
    http://www.diabetesforums.com/

Edit You should know that the average time for someone to go from insulin resistance to Type 2 Diabetes is 3 years after being diagnosed. Some people manage to do it in 1 or 2 years because they don't take care of their heath.

• saratf
    Options

ADA recommendations are high. Ask any type 2 diabetic that actively monitor's their glucose level and you'll get a much different answer. Their standards are for the general population and everyone's reaction to food is different. Diabetes is your responsibility, not what you read on a website, and the best way to take responsibility of your own health is to test yourself throughout the day with a glucose monitor.

I often visit the website below because there's a free chatroom that allows you to ask any diabetic questions. Most people come on at night around 8pm central time. You can ask anyone yourself if you don't believe me.
    http://www.diabetesforums.com/

Edit You should know that the average time for someone to go from insulin resistance to Type 2 Diabetes is 3 years after being diagnosed. Some people manage to do it in 1 or 2 years because they don't take care of their heath.

This is good information to know, thank you.

As I'm not diabetic (or prediabetic), and don't currently have high fasting glucose numbers, I'm okay with my current carb consumption, but I will discuss it with my doctor at my next physical. I was not suggesting that everyone should eat as many carbs as I do, only that my PCOS has improved and I've lost weight while on my current diet. I realize that this is specific to me, and I suggest everyone discuss their own situation with their doctor.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

As I'm not diabetic (or prediabetic), and don't currently have high fasting glucose numbers, I'm okay with my current carb consumption, but I will discuss it with my doctor at my next physical. I was not suggesting that everyone should eat as many carbs as I do, only that my PCOS has improved and I've lost weight while on my current diet. I realize that this is specific to me, and I suggest everyone discuss their own situation with their doctor.

Being insulin resistance and prediabetic are very similar to each other. So similar that you could consider them one in the same. Maybe I've missed something but everything I've read leads me to believe that being insulin resistance is the same as being prediabetic. I've posted a link below for some good info on the subject and some quotes from them. Definitions for both prediabetes and insulin resistance deal with higher than normal blood glucose. Why they are considered technically different, I do not know but everything I read leads me to believe they are practically the same.

Insulin resistance is a condition in which the body produces insulin but does not use it effectively. When people have insulin resistance, glucose builds up in the blood instead of being absorbed by the cells, leading to type 2 diabetes or prediabetes.
    Prediabetes is a condition in which blood glucose or A1C levels—which reflect average blood glucose levels—are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/
  • saratf
    Options

Being insulin resistance and prediabetic are very similar to each other. So similar that you could consider them one in the same. Maybe I've missed something but everything I've read leads me to believe that being insulin resistance is the same as being prediabetic. I've posted a link below for some good info on the subject and some quotes from them. Definitions for both prediabetes and insulin resistance deal with higher than normal blood glucose. Why they are considered technically different, I do not know but everything I read leads me to believe they are practically the same.

Insulin resistance is a condition in which the body produces insulin but does not use it effectively. When people have insulin resistance, glucose builds up in the blood instead of being absorbed by the cells, leading to type 2 diabetes or prediabetes.
    Prediabetes is a condition in which blood glucose or A1C levels—which reflect average blood glucose levels—are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/

Sorry if this is ignorant, but I feel like this is a very helpful discussion. Does being diagnosed with PCOS automatically make me insulin resistant? I know it makes me more likely to be, but I thought that the fasting glucose test would be what tested for that.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Sorry if this is ignorant, but I feel like this is a very helpful discussion. Does being diagnosed with PCOS automatically make me insulin resistant? I know it makes me more likely to be, but I thought that the fasting glucose test would be what tested for that.

No it does not but 80% of women who have PCOS are insulin resistant, so your chances of being insulin resistant is high. Normally your doctor will want to do two separate test to confirm if you are prediabetic. They do a fasting glucose test and A1C. A1C measures your average glucose for the past 3 months which is how most people are diagnosed as being prediabetic. Did you do that test?
  • saratf
    Options

No it does not but 80% of women who have PCOS are insulin resistant, so your chances of being insulin resistant is high. Normally your doctor will want to do two separate test to confirm if you are prediabetic. They do a fasting glucose test and A1C. A1C measures your average glucose for the past 3 months which is how most people are diagnosed as being prediabetic. Did you do that test?

Yes, I'm in the normal range for both and test yearly since being diagnosed with PCOS.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I suffer from PCOS (diagnosed) and I have no trouble losing weight. On the other hand, I also have no trouble gaining it! Metformin is a pretty intense med I hear (my BFF has been on it for a few years and it's been a rough ride)

Don't be discouraged!!!! I know it can be super deflating to try without seeing the results. Be encouraged that you are not alone and supported by so many of us here.

Also, on another note: I live a low-carb lifestyle and do believe that ketosis works. It is controversial though, so if you post about it, be warned. :wink: