Can someone help me set my macros please??

Options
Hi! I just recently, and with much trepidation, upped my calories. I had an indirect calorimetry metabolic cart done, and it determined that my RMR is 1760 calories a day. I had been netting between 1200-1400 or much less for months. So I am taking the plunge and trying to eat more. I just need someone to look at my macros, carbs, fats, protein and such to make sure they are set ok. When I upped the calories in my settings (MFP had me at 1200) everything kind of went wonky. My diary is open...

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1700 cals, 40% carbs, 20% fat and 40% protein ?

Seems reasonable. Protein is higher than many aim for (for example 40/25/35) but we're splitting hairs.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    Thank you! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't waay off on anything.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'd need to know what your goals are, but at first glance, I think:

A. You need to eat more. If your RMR is 1760, you need to be eating more than 1700 calories. I don't know how active you are, but I would guess your TDEE is somewhere around 2200. A good deficit for you (15%) would put you at 1850 to 1900 calories.

B. You need more fat. I would shoot for 60 to 70 g if I were you. From there, you would probably do fine at a 1:1 ratio of protein to carbs (roughly 160 to 170 g).
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Most people here recommend 40/30/30 (carbs, fat, protein) it's worked very well for me :drinker:
  • toddx318
    toddx318 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like 50/25/25 personally.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm at 35/35/30
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'd opt to shift some more cals from carbs into fat, so 40P:30F:30C. You're in the right ballpark close to that range anyway.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    I'd need to know what your goals are, but at first glance, I think:

A. You need to eat more. If your RMR is 1760, you need to be eating more than 1700 calories. I don't know how active you are, but I would guess your TDEE is somewhere around 2200. A good deficit for you (15%) would put you at 1850 to 1900 calories.

B. You need more fat. I would shoot for 60 to 70 g if I were you. From there, you would probably do fine at a 1:1 ratio of protein to carbs (roughly 160 to 170 g).

Short term goal is to lose another ten pounds to get on the transplant waiting list. Long term is to get to about 160-ish, as I am 5'9". I am well...lightly active? I have a desk job but try to walk for an hour at least 4-5 times a week and do a kettlebell workout 2 times a week, only ten pounds though...I am still a flabby wuss! I am trying to work my way up to at least 1800 cal, but it's kind of harder than I thought it would be without adding in junk. Thanks everyone for responding :happy: