Calories vs. POINTS - interesting point

Options
I am now using a 3-pronged approach to weight loss/fitness. I go to the gym 5 days a week, weigh in at Weight watchers once a week and track my efforts on myfitnesspal.com. Only MFP is new and I've lost 50 pounds. I pretty much feel that I finally have it 'together.'
BUT....yesterday we were away for the day with friends and stopped for an ice cream cone on the theory that nothing is off limits as long as it's weighed/measured and journalled!
That one cone (it was premium ice cream and yes I know I could have had frozen yogurt :tongue: allowed me to stay with-in my 1200 calorie intake for the day - with some major juggling on my part - BUT I took in a whopping 26 WW POINTS compared to my normal 19 at the same calorie level. I think it's because ice cream is so high in fat and has no fibre so although the calories worked out the Points did not. I'm not quite sure how WW equates calories and POINTS.
Bottom line...I am so grateful to MFP and its pivotal role as a 3rd mtool for me for its tracking abilities; I see exactly what I ate broken down and don't feel the need to starve myself today to make up for yesterday. You can't argue with a calorie...it is what it is, eh?

Replies

• flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    congradulations on your weight loss. my theory is you have to indulge yourself occassionally. as long as its in moderation and not an everyday consumption its ok to give in.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had the best ice cream cone last week. OK, it was frozen yogurt…anyway we need treats sometimes. I stayed within my calories and I still lost weight.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Well done! Personally I have always preferred counting calories to weight watchers because over time, you get a pretty good idea of how many calories are in certain foods without having to look it up, whereas WW requires you to always have your little cheat sheet with you, and doesn't allow you to actually learn the calories, fat/carb/sodium/whatever you want to track content. BUT, what I do like about WW is that it teaches people who have no idea what healthful eating is, how to make responsible choices with their food. Yes, that 1/2 of ice cream was probably around 240 calories, however you could also have taken a half- cup of lowfat or fat free vanilla yogurt and frozen it for 1/3 of those calories. It would have satisfied that craving for sweet, creamy frozen goodness but also added valuable nutrition to your diet for the day. Your daily intake should be about quality of calories, not just quantity.

With that said though, you need to give yourself the occasional treat without guilt. After all we all know that dewprivation leads to failure with any diet plan!

And you can always go for a little walk around the neighborhood after the ice cream cone to burn off those naughty calories too! :wink:

Edited to say: Wow, congrats on the 50# weight loss!
  • Julbella78
    Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think Weight Watchers is a great program. I did it before and lost 46 pounds. However, I was hungry and felt like I always at the same things. I would get so discouraged seeing that I only had a few points left for dinner. I think what made me NOT stick with the plan was that counting points was not something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Points aren't readily available on all foods whereas calories are labeled on just about everything! So far, since being on MFP, I have not been feeling deprived or hungry. i don't feel like I am dieting. This feels like more of a lifestyle change and something I can stick with. Even if I stop tracking calories someday I will still look at a label and cringe if it's more than a normal amount. I also feel like I have lost more weight at a faster pace than I did on WW. Good luck!
  • dale49
    dale49 Posts: 37
    Options
    Xonophone....After clicking on your profile, I think we share some common ground. I've always eaten well i.e. cooked my own food from scratch, had a good knowledge of nutrition BUT....and it's a big butt (or results in one!) I've been portion crazy! By eating too much I put on "just" 5 - 8 pounds a year for 10 years all of a sudden (it seems ) I woke up 80 pounds overweight. Anyway, I'm awake now and watching my portions like a hawk! Thanks for your comment and your congratulations. I am over the hump and I expect to be back to the real me in about 6 more months. Slow and easy is how I'm taking it. Slow and permanent too!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    that why i love mfp because you can use it on any diet your on dr atkins weight watchers and many more i love {weight watchers} the best .use it on any diet your on to keep you on track
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Xonophone....After clicking on your profile, I think we share some common ground. I've always eaten well i.e. cooked my own food from scratch, had a good knowledge of nutrition BUT....and it's a big butt (or results in one!) I've been portion crazy! By eating too much I put on "just" 5 - 8 pounds a year for 10 years all of a sudden (it seems ) I woke up 80 pounds overweight. Anyway, I'm awake now and watching my portions like a hawk! Thanks for your comment and your congratulations. I am over the hump and I expect to be back to the real me in about 6 more months. Slow and easy is how I'm taking it. Slow and permanent too!

Haha, now you made me click on your profile! I absolutely love your attitude and motivators!!!!! And you are so right about that "good enough" trap! Now that I've reached my goal (actually a little bit more since oging on maintenance) I find that I will go over on my calories one day (usually a weekend day of course!) by a gross amount, thinking "oh just one day won't make a big difference", or that I will sleep in more frequently instead of going to the gym in the morning. But like you, I wanna be a hottie again for as long as I can so I try very hard not to get complacent! :laugh:

You are doing a fabulous job, keep up the good work, and feel free to "friend" me for healthy recipe swapping if you like.