anyone else have a picky eater

Options
2»

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It's ok to eat the healthy food you want to eat.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I understand not wanting to cook another meal for him and feel you're perfectly reasonable on that. The one suggestion I do have is since he's not with your year round find out the foods that he really does not like. So far it sounds like onions are one thing. If you have a list of things like that it's easier to either leave them out of the main dish, or pull out a small serving for him before you add them. It's less hassle than making a completely different dish and he has less excuse not to eat it.
  • Bookie
    Bookie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this critically, but I get the impression you don't know much about kids. A kid that asks to snack all the time is totally normal. Think about when you were a kid. You probably had breakfast, a snack at school, lunch at school, a snack when you can home, dinner, and probably desert or another snack in the evening, or maybe both. You eat less at meals, but more often. An 8 year old needs like 1500-1800 calories, depending on their size and activity level. Depending on your dietary goals, this kid could easily be eating hundreds of calories more than you every day.

Also, kids have different taste palettes than adults. It isn't until teen years that they start to develop the ability to taste foods like you do. Sweet is one thing that tastes really good to them. Onions, generally, are not. I don't know many kids who like onions, even of they are good eaters. So, for example, with those green beans you made, you could either leave them out so everyone is happy (green beans are perfectly healthy, after all, without the onions) or you could cut the onions big enough to easily pick out or you can leave part of the dish without onions. I thinkits reasonable to serve him dinner and expect that he tries it. You can even have a rule that he has to eat five bites of something before he decides if he likes it or not. Just don't be surprised when there are things he dislikes. Just as there are plenty of things you probably dislike too. You arent asking a lot to have him eat healthy meals with the family, but you are kind of asking a lot if you arent willing to compromise at all. If he doesn't like quiche, but will happily eat omelets without complaint, I'd say pick your battles.

I'd also enforce a rule that he can't call things gross or disgusting. Its rude to people who enjoy those things. Instead, he can say he doesn't care for it or something similar.
    As for snacks, let him have one sweet treat (or maybe two mini ones) per day. Other than that, keep a variety of snacks that you don't mind having, but it can't really be just fruit. String cheese, flavored rice cakes, crackers and peanut butter, animal crackers, popcorn, goldfish crackers, pretzels, popsicles, pudding packs or jello, trail/snack mix, etc. If you're concerned about you and your husbands self control, parcel it all out into individual serving sizes for him in snack-sized zip lock baggies. When he gets one, your husband will be less inclined to snack because the kid will probably be less inclined to share.

Just keep in mind he is a kid. Regardless of what he is eating, he isn't accountable for what you and your husband choose to eat. By which I mean, if he and your husband choose to eat ice cream out of the container in bed every night, it isn't his fault if you get a spoon and do it too.

This x1000!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Actually I don't think it is him being picky. He is playing you guys like a harp. He is intentionally not eating because he knows that in an hour when he complains he is still hungry, you guys will give in and give him what he wants. Snacks are great if he is also willing to eat his dinner or eat a fair share of it. If not, then it really is his own fault for being hungry an hour after dinner. The snacks you should give him should be healthy if he chooses not to eat his dinner. It may sound harsh, but you can't cater to him because he will only get worse.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old is picky. Of course he is. He is 5! There are ways to get kids to eat better but still make it fun! I make taco night with lean ground turkey or chicken instead of beef and load up with veggies. Use whole wheat tortillas. When I make pasta (which he loves) I buy veggie noodles and I home make the sauce and add in lean meats. Just be creative. Were you picky as a kid? I think we all were... My son loves green beans and even though I get tired of them I make them often because it is one of the few greens he enjoys. He will also eat salad if he likes the dressing and it has croutons. Good luck!
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    PS snacking is normal. And be easier on him. He is 8. I am not saying he should have a diet consisting of rubbish but he is a kid and his tastes will change often. My son had eggs for breakfast then a frozen 100 cal Italian ice then grilled cheese and kettle cooked chips for lunch and then some fruit snacks and we are having veggie pasta for dinner and I'm willing to bet he will ask for dessert. Get to know your step son. Be patient and remember he is coming into your home from what he is used to try to be accommodating and make good choices.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have a few picky eaters and the rule is simple: eat what I made (which is usually healthy) or don't eat.

Sometimes they don't eat, sometimes they only eat half, sometimes they're hungry enough to eat it all.

I make sure everyone gets their vitamin and I go to bed happy.

This is generally only for dinner- at breakfast and lunch they pick what they want (to an extent- fast food not an option, candy for breakfast not an option, etc).
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I tell my kids that I'm not a short-order cook and won't operate as such. If they're hungry, they'll eat. I don't allow snacks if they refused a meal. If they go hungry, it's their own fault.

I'm not as harsh as that may sound. I do allow snacks, ice cream, etc, and I do work around things they don't like. I'll have potato salad AND mac & cheese available so they have an option. Bottom line though, refusal of a meal when they have options results in no snacks and they have to wait until the next meal.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options

The snacking thing is normal for kids - especially for growing boys. Cut him some slack in that area.

As far as everything else, you set the rules. He eats what is served, and if he doesn't, he doesn't get snacks later. You can also set a rule that he gets only 1 "treat" food per day and has to eat plenty of other healthy stuff too.

The 'eat what is served or no snacks later' is what we do. And if he doesn't eat his dinner, it gets set aside for when he says he's hungry and wants a snack...hungry? Eat your dinner, it's still there waiting for you.

No way I cave and let my kid get chips and cookies in place of eating somethig healthy.

New foods that our boy (he's only 5) says upon seeing 'I don't like that' although he may never have tried it before he's required to have at least one bite before saying he doesn't like it.
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    We have a problem with my stepdaughter eating our healthy food as well. She's 11 and very picky. She would eat snacks and unhealthy stuff all the time though. She knows the rules though...we don't make her anything special - she eats what we eat and has to try a bite of everything. Then if she doesn't like it, we cut her a little slack. But if she doesn't eat what we deem as an appropriate amount - there's no snacks later in the evening. She's gotten a little better at eating but we still have our moments. I definitely agree about including him in the process of making the menu and shopping. Although, with my stepdaughter we can't do that - the only thing she ever wants is pasta - so we include maybe one pasta meal a week and the rest of the week is meat and healthy stuff...you have to find a balance! Hope this helps!
  • bricktowngal
    bricktowngal Posts: 206
    Options
    My 5 year old grand daughter only eats noodles and chicken for lunch and dinner and porkroll for breakfast.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    he wants to eat constantly . for example the other night i made a lean meatloaf for dinner along with green beans with bacon and onion and fried potatoes all appropriate sized portions. he didnt want the meatloaf and basically gave it to the dog he complained about the onion in the green beans etc. i barely got the dishes done from dinner and a quick shower in and he was in our room talking about can i have a snack. i get so frustrated i just busted my fanny cooking a healthy dinner for us and i did dishes and i want to relax and he wants to eat again . he wants to get chips or candy or cookies from the pantry were trying to teach him your snack can be fruits and veggies too. we all watch movies or tv together in our room and if he brings the junk food into the bedroom my hubby will start eating it and then the next thing i know im doing it too.

Make a house rule where there's no more eating after dinner.

Also get rid of the candy/cookies/chips. (or put them out of his sight).
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I am a picky eater and always have been ( and my kids aren't great either, I have a hard time forcing them to "try" things as I won't myself.) If I came to your house, I'd probably have a hard time adjusting. As an adult, I realize this is MY problem. Going out to eat, I can usually find something, but it would be absolutely stressful for me to be invited to someone's house for dinner. While I would never say anything or request special treatment, I just can't make myself eat things I'm unsure of. I just eat before or after, or go hungry. It would be really hard to deal with if I had no control and had to "take or leave it" over an extended period of time.

If you did ask him if there were any healthy options he DOES like, dinners that he would eat without complaint and at least work those into the menus. Try to have something that he likes at dinner (even if he doesn't like part of the meal) so he won't still be hungry and want to snack after ... that said, I have five boys and they do like to snack between meals.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    the best thing I did for step daughter was buy her an "all girls cook book" it had beautiful pictures of food and the background was all girly, so it just looked yummy and appealing. I let het pick out what she wanted to eat and then we cooked it together. So it was all on her, she felt she had control and it helped us take a huge step toward healthy eating :)
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    he tasted some of it but this is a nightly thing it drives me crazy . he takes a few bites says he doesnt like it and then less than an hour later wants a snack. some people cater to picky eaters and i refuse to do that . i cook one dinner and you eat it and thats it im not going to seperate certain things out and cook them seperatly or serve multiple dinners my life is to busy to do that and personally i cant stand it when people do that to there kids . its pretty simple this is dinner the end ! he tells me dont put this on his food or dont do that i cook everything together and the whole meal is seasoned together so he has to learn to eat it. im constantly stuck fighting with him to eat and have to yell to my hubby who is usually in the other room by this time to back me up.

while snacking is normal for a growing boy, snacking on cookies and chips after refusing dinner isn't cool :)

What about saving the nice dinner you cooked for him so when he comes in wanting a snack, you can bring out the meatloaf or whatever that he hasn't finished yet?

growing up, I ate what mom made or I didn't eat lol. and snacks were always healthy snacks, no chips or anything in the house for a snack. Not bird food but things like celery and peanut butter, or cheese and crackers or fruit or carrots and hummus or yogurt etc