Diet Not Working....please advise

Options
2»

Replies

• Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    put down the raspberry ketones and any other products as such.

you may very well not be eating enough. If you're only eating 1400 calories and working out super hard, you're probably at too large of a caloric deficit.

exactly.

When you are on a restricted calorie intake you cant just exercise and not eat more. My guess would be your deficit is too high because you are burning off way below 1400 calories so your body is stalling/saving up its energy because you are not eating enough.

Also, you need to weigh/measure food to get a true account of the calories you are eating unless everything you eat is prepackaged servings.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Most people recommend eating 20%(351) less than your TDEE(1759) to lose weight

Not at 10lb from goal weight, it's probably better to be around TDEE - 10%.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OK - using calculators at fitnessfrog.com - all calculators are estimates (including MFP's) but just as guidelines:

Entered your weight (149), age (28) , height (5'5"), your estimate BMR (basal metabolic rate, or the number of calories you require just to beat your heart, breathe, etc.) is 1476.

You're eating below BMR; no wonder you can't lose weight. If you're exercising regularly, I entered same data plus rated you at "moderate exercise" and got a TDEE (total daily expenditure) of 2280 calories. If it's "light" exercise (1-3 days a week) your TDEE is around 2022.

To lose weight you need to be between those two numbers. "Rule of thumb" around here is roughly TDEE - 20%, which in your case would put you around 1820 calories. But if you're only 10 lbs from goal weight you probably want to be around TDEE-10%.

Depending on how fast you want to lose, MFP would probably put you around 1600 PLUS you would need to eat back all of your exercise calories, which is is going to land you around 1800 to 1900, I'm guessing. So they're in the same ballpark.

My own two cents - I'd go to 1800 calories, 1900 if you're really exercising hard, for 4-6 weeks and see what happens.

But will wait for the real experts here to weigh in (so to speak). In any case you are definitely not eating enough; that's why you're stalled.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    At 5'5" and 149 she probably doesn't have that much weight to lose.
    She should be aiming for a 0.5 a week weight loss.

with your age and exercise levels 1400 calories a day is probably too little unless you are eating back a portion of your exercise calories.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I looked at your blog, You're probably gaining muscle. You work out a lot, and you eat plenty of protein.

Could just be a stab in the dark though. How long since you started this new lifestyle? You should give it at least a month before worrying about changing the routine.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Most people recommend eating 20%(351) less than your TDEE(1759) to lose weight

Not at 10lb from goal weight, it's probably better to be around TDEE - 10%.

Agree with the -10%, or " lose 1/2 pound a week".

Count, measure,weigh, record everything you eat.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I looked at your blog, You're probably gaining muscle. You work out a lot, and you eat plenty of protein.

Could just be a stab in the dark though. How long since you started this new lifestyle? You should give it at least a month before worrying about changing the routine.
    Not at that much of a deficit, they aren't gaining muscle.
  • gdiane04
    gdiane04 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started this diet about a months ago. I started this profile yesterday after not seeing any results after the initial months.
    Since I have never had to loose weight before I decided I needed alot of help. The Food and exercise is basically what I was doing for the last month. (I workout hard 4 times per week). Thank you guys so much for the tips, I never realized that I wasn't taking in enough food.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It looks like you just started logging here. Give it some time. If you log every bite (and measure portions to make sure) you should be losing weight soon.
  • Genesisluvsu
    Genesisluvsu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HI,

I wouldn't rule out that your diet isn't working. Losing weight is a very body specific process. I know you are fustrated, but you have to get a any means necessary mind set. And make a commitment that you will do everything in your power to lose weight, while taking care of your family. You may have to troll weightloss and body buliding blogs specific to you. Its alway better to know why you are doing something, than to take advice because it sounds right. Research is key, cross check advice because it may be right for you or it may be very wrong. Know your body type and research. You may find out things that are sabatoging your weightloss progression.

But in the end calories in, calories out. And you can always out eat your excercise efforts.
    You may have to check the quality of food you are eating, because a higher protien, lower carb diet at 1400 calories can be quite satistifying. It's about learning how to eat again. Is your diet high carb? Do you eat carbs close to your bed time? Every aspect has to be analyzed. A 2 lbs difference isn't what I would consider major weight gain, could be considered water weight.

Just like another reader said, I would commit to weighing and journaling my food. And adding weight/ strength training to increase your fat burning metabolism.

Good luck and stay focused...

Have a plan and work the Plan

Make Changes if neccessary
  • mlrodgers381
    mlrodgers381 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your food diary. I think that if your system is sensitive to sodium, that could be your problem. The biggest offender in your diet is the lunchmeat, especially the pastromi (sorry if I spelled that wrong), because it is very high in sodium. I would cut out all processed lunch meats from your diet. If you look at your totals you are 1,400 too much sodium. I would try to really watch your sodium and see if that makes a difference. Other than that, I didn't see anything in there that would be detrimental to your diet.
  • katiej080810
    Options
    It might be what you are eating too. Are you getting enough protein? And are you eating a lot of processed prepackaged foods. The sodium could be keeping your weight steady. Also, maybe your body just wants to stay where it is. I am 5'6 and my goal weight is 145. To me that seems like such a low weight but maybe your bone structure is different.
  • AuntNiecey
    AuntNiecey Posts: 26
    Options
    Eat cleaner to cut out sodium and up your calories
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Okay then... 10% of your TDEE is 179

Eat 1615 calories + exercise calories daily to lose weight at a slower (but safer) rate.