Stopped losing weight.

Options
I lost over 100 lbs about four years ago and now hover around 145. My doctor wants me to get to 120 for health reasons but no matter what I do, I can't lose the last 25 lbs. I went vegan in November and I get plenty of exercise but nothing is helping.

Also, since going vegan, I have lost 1/3 of my muscle mass.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm extra motivated to lose the weight, but nothing is working.

HELP!!!!

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Please post your height and age so we can better help. =)
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    1. You have an AWESOME user name. XFiles theme is my ringtone....

Back to the point! :) You could be losing muscle because on a vegan diet it can be difficult to get protein. I can't see your log, but try a vegan-friendly protein powder if that's the case. They can taste kinda weird, but it's worth it to get the protein.

Make sure you're getting adequate calories for your exercise level. Calculate your TDEE - 20% on an few online calculators (google them) and average. Also, maybe ask your Dr. for a metabolism test, they're pretty easy and will give you a much more accurate picture of where your metabolism is at.

Also, make sure you're eating super balanced meals and taking a vegan-friendly multivitamin to supplement anything you may be missing. :)
  • MulderandScully
    Options
    I'm 5'4". According to my last body analysis (done on Wednesday), I need to lose 27.5lbs of fat and put on 5lbs of muscle.
  • Onlineasllou
    Options
    What are you doing for strength training? Are you doing enough strength training? Or are you just focusing on cardio and burning calories? If you want to build muscle, you need to strength train and be sure to get enough calories (and protein) for your body to build that muscle.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Since you're on the higher end of the normal BMI range, weight loss is going to be slower than you're use to, maybe less than 1lb a week.

Your (set to sedentary) TDEE is 1755 calories, if you ate that everyday you would maintain your weight with no exercise.

I would recommend doing 15% less than your TDEE to lose weight at a safe and steady rate.

15% of 1755 is 263. So eat 1492 + exercise calories to maintain the same safe caloric deficit.

As you get closer to your goal, it might be necessary to do 10% less than your TDEE, the weight loss gets slower the closer you are to your goal, it's normal.

Maybe a body builder could chime in, I don't know the exact specifics of what you'd need to do to gain muscle, but I know it's nearly impossible when you're working with a caloric deficit.